The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how do you wash a lotus? i see a lot of concern about driving in the rain. will soap harm critical parts when it goes into the mesh?

·
Registered
6,948 Posts
how do you wash a lotus? i see a lot of concern about driving in the rain. will soap harm critical parts when it goes into the mesh?
Wash it just as you would any car that you care about. You can go crazy if you like with the Zaino style cleaning/detailing, or a simply two bucket method, clean cloths, clean water and a good soap designed for cars.

You won't hurt the car. Lots of folks keep them outside and drive them in the rain with no problem.

Just don't take it through a power wash.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,689 Posts
Automatic car washes....... cheerleaders on the corner with buckets of dirty water..... whatever works.:shrug::D:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...i've heard that automatic washes can cause problems...

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,689 Posts

·
Registered
3,314 Posts

like this

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,111 Posts
automatic car washes reuse their dirty water... wash after wash...it does get filtered, but only to the degree that sand is removed so it doesn't clog the high pressure nozzles

stay away

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
you wash a lotus like any other car that you love and care about

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Automatic car washes....... cheerleaders on the corner with buckets of dirty water..... whatever works.:shrug::D:rolleyes:
Dirty cheerleaders with buckets of clean water is preferred...:nanner2:

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
Dirty cheerleaders with buckets of clean water is preferred...:nanner2:
^^ Agreed.

In 1967 the standard by which all cars should be washed was set.
It still works today.
Behold the ultimate car wash tutorial and documentary.

<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Kliy32YWFcU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Kliy32YWFcU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,689 Posts
rotflrotflrotfl Great !! What a classic !

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
One of these days I'm gonna buy that movie.

·
Registered
981 Posts

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
There is a lot of information on this forum about detailing the Elise/Exige, just search around.

One thing about these cars that's different from other cars is, that you want to wash them with the nose pointing downhill (if you're on an inclined surface like a driveway). Otherwise, you'll collect a lot of the wash water in your trunk. Even with the nose pointing down the incline, you may get some water there so I'd advise putting a towel down or at least removing anything that you don't want getting wet.

Power washers are not recommended because they may damage the starshield. But as long as you're careful about not blasting very close to the surface and esp. near the edges of the starshield, and as long as it's not a super-powerful power washer, you should be fine.

·
purveyor of lightness
4,230 Posts
Automatic carwashes are not recommended because water WILL get through the top of the side windows... I tried it once 3 years ago (thought to myself "what's the worse that could happen?") and laughed my completely soaked ass off all the way home.

Even with a large towel pressed against the top of the window -> roof seal (softtop/hardtop... doesn't matter!) water still sprayed at 100psi+ into the cabin and all over me!

It was tragic and immensely funny at the same time ;)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts