The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mentioned this in a previous thread, but maybe someone has some ideas. The black plastic sills in my car are already showing a couple of scratches from people's shoes, as they climb in and out. Anyone have a suggestion for protecting them? (No, I'm not willing to ban all passengers, or ask them to wear footies!)

I'm thinking of having X-Pel applied. I asked a local installer if it would work, and he had no clue. So I called X-Pel, and spoke to a tech there. He said it wouldn't harm the plastic, but might not look clear, cause of the fine pebble grain to the plastic. So I think I'll ask the local installer to try a scrap piece on it, to see how it look/works.

FYI, based on the size of the sills, he quoted me about $75 each as an estimate. Not sure if that's the 6 mil or 12 mil film.

Other suggestions?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Xpel might be good. The only other optionI can think of is to have an Auto Upholstery shop apply some vinyl to the sills. It will still show scrapes, etc... but at least you can have the vinyl peeled-off and re-applied.

Shinoo: What would you think about creating a velcro-attached sill guard? It would be about half the length of the sill starting from the area nearest to the hinge and extending backwards to half-way? People entering the car typically drag their feet over the forward part of the sill anyway...

Bob

·
Registered
431 Posts
You can try some painted contact paper. Paint it with some flat black or semi gloss black paint. Hardware stores have lots of different types of contact paper as well as Walmart. If you don't like how it looks you can just peel it off.
Walmart has a clear type of contact paper which is not really paper but and may work for your purpose. However it doesnt look real clear even on a smooth surface.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Contact paper? PLEEEEAASSE....
Some Alcantara or Ultrasuede would be nice..and while you are at it have pockets sewn into the inside next to your thigh for storage as well as firm thigh support foam bolsters for bracing yourself on tack days.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,107 Posts
Using X-pel or 3M film would not likely work because of the textured surface of the sill. Plus it will look like your aunt's sofa with the plastic protector. ;)

We were experimenting with a novel material but it turned out to be too tacky. Whatever you place onto the sill must be slick on the outside so that you can slip in without getting hung up.

A CF sill is definately in the works.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
z06fun said:
You can try some painted contact paper. Paint it with some flat black or semi gloss black paint. Hardware stores have lots of different types of contact paper as well as Walmart. If you don't like how it looks you can just peel it off.
Walmart has a clear type of contact paper which is not really paper but and may work for your purpose. However it doesnt look real clear even on a smooth surface.
You can purchase black contact paper, but I don't want to use that. I don't think it will hold up well, and it might be a mess to remove. I got a roll of the clear stuff at Home Depot -- it's acid-free, and not too sticky, so it's easy to remove. But it didn't stick well, and it didn't look clear on the grained surface.

Two local X-Pel installers have agreed to test a piece on it, to see how it looks and how it sticks. A CF sill sounds interesting -- would it stand up to scratches?

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
How much does it cost to replace the sills every once in a while? A piece of plastic can't be too expensive. I had thought that the function of the sills was to protect the bodywork under it from getting scratched. So adding another layer would be like protecting the protection.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Tired of getting your pocket protectors all inky? Try our pocket protector protector. Now you can keep your pocket protector in mint condition :)

I don't remember where I heard that from, but I think it was "Saved by the Bell".

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
usofrob said:
Tired of getting your pocket protectors all inky? Try our pocket protector protector. Now you can keep your pocket protector in mint condition :)

I don't remember where I heard that from, but I think it was "Saved by the Bell".
Did you just admit, in public, that you watched "Saved By the Bell"? :eek:

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ConeFusion said:
How much does it cost to replace the sills every once in a while? A piece of plastic can't be too expensive. I had thought that the function of the sills was to protect the bodywork under it from getting scratched. So adding another layer would be like protecting the protection.
Yep, I agree with you about protecting the protection. I try not to be too anal about the car that way. Still, it would be nice not to have a bunch of scratches all over the thing, if it can be avoided. Frankly, it's as much of a mindless challenge as anything else -- trying to come up with a clever way to protect it. Kind of like climbing Mt. Rushmore -- "because it is there".

As for replacement costs -- that sucker is a HUGE piece of plastic. I'd be surprised if Lotus charged less than $150 each.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
perryeyges said:
Contact paper? PLEEEEAASSE....
Some Alcantara or Ultrasuede would be nice..and while you are at it have pockets sewn into the inside next to your thigh for storage as well as firm thigh support foam bolsters for bracing yourself on tack days.
"Sill pockets" are available in the UK, in both alcantara and leather. Check out this site, about 2/3 of the way down the page. (Not sure exactly where they go, or if they'd fit the US model.) http://www.bell-colvill.co.uk/Shop/Directory.asp?Persist=&Chapter=E10

1 - 16 of 16 Posts