The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've removed the sandwich and successfully installed the oil filter sans cooler.

Now, I've got the driver side wheel well open and all visible ties removed there and in the back as far as I can see. The line is not moving whether I try to pull it from the front or from the back. Is there some trick that I'm missing here? The car is an 07 Elise.

thanks

·
Carbon Fiber
1,637 Posts
I have never taken these out but I think your forgetting something.

Take the door sills off, you will find tape. Remove the tape I think you can see in frame rail to see if maybe another ziptie.

I had both ends loose at different times but never pulled em out the whole way.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
You need to take the door sills off, and the wheel well liners. Youll also need to remove the undertray with the NACA ducts on it and the diffuser. My lines had a zip tie on each side near the back where they turn and go under the engine. I had to remove the shear panel to get enough clearance to get my arm into the side sills and cut the zip ties. It helps a lot if you cut the lines before and after the sills so you have room to push and pull. Let them drain or cram a cap of some kind (I found an old toothpaste tube cap worked well) so you don't fill the sill with oil. Good luck!! It's a complete bitch! :)

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Oh, there's also a lot of foam on each side to protect the hard lines from rubbing against each other. Make sure you replace some of this after getting it out so you don't have problems later.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I have a 4 post lift, so the undertray is off and front wheel and liner with all visible ties removed. I didn't know about the door sils, so that's where I was not on track. I'll work on that tomorrow.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Pull from the back too you may need another person to help feed the old lines thru in the fire wall part before the door seals. When I removed mine I had to pull like hell to get them to come out good luck!

·
Registered
359 Posts
I found the LHS hose easier to remove than the RHS. And yes, you need to pop the sill covers off & reach in to cut various cable ties. What a PITA!

I actually kept the RHS hose in a cut-down form so I could use it as an electrical cabling conduit route from the engine bay to the cabin as shown above.

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
Thanks. The oil-line recall is on my mind these days.

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
KMT63 is the go-to guy re: replacing the oil lines. He developed the NCI / RLS oil line kit, and has done several.

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
P.S. Kevin (KMT63) does not remove the sill panels to replace the oil lines.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All of this information is tremendous (along with the PM's I've received with excellent info). For now, I've decided that I'm going to leave the lines in and take the trick of using one of the pancake connectors to hook the 2 hoses together in the back. I figure that way, if Lotus ever does a recall and have the resources to fix my car, I'd put it back to stock to drive to them.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
I'm not sure how you'd remove the lines without removing the interior sills. There are two clips bonded to the fiberglass (one on each side) that you have to manually pry open to release the line. I had one zip tie on the right side line holding it to the AC lines in the sill that I had to remove the shear panel to get to. The driver side did not have this zip tie, either I broke it or it was never put on by Nigel at the factory.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
email tommyc. He has done a few of them. I remember that the clip under the still was a pain to get out and reinstall. Was the hose that was attached to your oil cooler corroded and hard to get off? We had to remove the coolers and dremel off the old fittings without damaging the threads on the coolers- What a PITA

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
i had an oil cooler relocation to the engine bay done, but the old lines are still in there. Hopefully , this winter.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
I removed mine since I moved to a rear-mounted Setrab setup, so my cooler was donated to a friend who's building a race car. I'm not sure if he'll use it or not though. The fittings were disgusting and I didn't even try to remove them, I just cut the lines instead. The rear mounted setup has been running strong for several months of daily driving use. No more leaks to worry about! Talk about peace of mind :)

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
theres a thread on this somewhere on lotus talk
they are a bitch to remove
you have pull really hard it alost feels as if the car is going to fall of the rack.
i recommend using rhino ramps

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
To follow up on my own progress, the connection to the oil cooler was perfect. Like it was just installed yesterday. Easily came off and then later easily screwed back on. I unscrewed one of the connectors on the pancake and screwed the 2 hoses together in the back. I then carefully tie wrapped them up in the mess of hoses and such, paying careful attention to stuff that could move like the suspension and engine. One bonus is that the water hose with the aluminum U no longer has any risk of hitting anything, although it's already got the garden hose tie wrapped to it to protect it. I'll change the tranny fluid while the car is open and it's raining all week.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts