The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got around to installing my Micromirror today after reading the countless stories about cracked windshields. I used a paintcan opener to pull the release and gently tapped the mirror towards the dash. Next thing I know, the mirror mount separates from the glass and the whole thing lands on my dash with the mirror still attached to the mount. Good news is there are no cracks, but I've got to reattach the mount to the windshield. What's the best stuff to use for this? Some sort of glass epoxy? I don't want to be smacked in the face by a Micromirror while I'm rounding a turn.

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
I've had great success with rear view mirror glue from autozone in the past. I've also had it fail miserably. You have to clean everything extremely well to have any chance of it bonding.

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
Before you glue that Lotus mount back onto the windshield, take a little time and think this over. There are no mirrors other than the OEM Lotus mirror or the Sector 111 mirrors that will directly fit onto the Lotus mount. Since your mount fell off (consider yourself lucky), you have the option of replacing it with any of the standard universal mirror mounts that will accept just about any of the after market mirrors sold in the US. There are a bunch of small after market mirrors out there that are cheap, will look OEM and some even retain the day/night feature as well. The mirror I sell with my smaller mirror kits (CIPA 31000 day/night) can be purchased locally and comes with a universal mount that you can glue onto your windshield in place of the Lotus mount. If you don't like the size of the CIPA mirror, you can also attach just about any of the other small after market mirrors to this same mount. By using the universal mount and attaching it to your windshield exactly where you want it, you will be allowing yourself many mirror options instead of being limited to the handful of mirrors that only fit the Lotus mount. I personally would never glue a Lotus mount back onto my windshield.

To answer your glue question, the best thing I have found when gluing on mirror mounts is to take the car to an auto glass repair shop and have them attach the mount. Every mount I have ever attached on my own has fallen off eventually, but the ones I had installed by the glass shop for $5 always stayed on.

If you are interested in going with the universal mount, just PM me and I can give you the details on which one to purchase.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I agree with tespirit. Do NOT put back the stock Lotus mount! Choose one that will give you more choices. You are lucky! When I installed my new mirror, I added the new mirror mount and abandoned the stock one. I was lucky to have to replace my windshield, so I made sure that they didn't install the Lotus mirror mount on the new windshield, so I only have one now.

Also, don't just put it back in the stock location. I mounted mine higher and more toward the passenger side to give me better forward vision.

Use a generous amount of the mirror adhesive -- when I've had the mount come off it was when I didn't use enough. Also, get everything clean, clean, clean!

Good luck!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input. I already had the Sector 111 mirror in hand, so I went to a local shop and had them reglue the stock mount several inches to the right and an inch or so higher giving me enough room to mount the V1 next to it. The kid at the glass shop knew all the Elise's engine specs and said he was building a car to road race so I paid him in cash after his boss said I didn't owe him anything for the glue job.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts