The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm usually good at figuring this stuff out but I'm feeling defeated right now :mad:

I just replaced the boot on the inboard side CV axle for the RH driveshaft. Easy enough. A few circlips and it all came apart. Since I have the entire RH driveshaft out, I wanted to replace the outboard boot as well. Well now I'm up sh1t creek without a paddle. I cannot figure out how the entire CV joint is being held in the housing!! I need to get it off so I can put the boot on the shaft. Here is what I'm talking about...

I'm hoping there is some kind of circlip on the end of the shaft (or mid-shaft) that's locking the shaft in the CV joint. That's how the inboard side was assembled. I tried smacking the joint with a ratchet extension + hammer, but no success. I really don't want to knick the joint. Maybe I'm not hitting it hard enough?!

On the inboard side there was a circlip that held it in. Not the case on this side :confused: Do they heat up the housing red hot, stick the joint assembly in, and then let it cool off? I am stumped.

Lotus manual says separation is "not recommended" and I should replace the entire assembly. I'm not made of money!

Hopefully someone who's done this can help!

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
The outboard ones are just knock-offs. Couple smacks with the dead-blow hammer and they come right off...

-Phil

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine must be super tight. Banged the hell out of it, but will try turning up the muscle for round two...

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK I feel like an idiot. Worked with one smack with my deadblow. I don't know why it didn't free itself the first time. There must be something about you coming to the forums Phil where the handymen get one free burst of good luck.

Thanks for the tips again!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts