The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a lot of you guys have clear bra's. So might as well ask you guys. I have a couple of small pieces of clear bra material on my roof to protect my paint from my ski rack. I want to remove those pieces from my rooftop. What's the best way to do so? Heat gun?

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
Let the car sit in the sun on a warm day or use a blow dryer on high and hot setting. I wouldn't use a heat gun unless you've done it before.

Starting on one corner lift the edge back and pull slightly as you go at about a 45 degree angle, not straight up. Don't rush. This is a patience thing. Go slowly. If you are using a dryer keep it about 10-12 inches away, constantly moving and peel back small sections at a time.

There will most likely be adhesive residue left that you will need to clean off. Detailer’s clay and /or 1:1 Isopropyl Alcohol / distilled water will clean any adhesive residue.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Mine came right off on a 85 degree day earlier this week (in the sun too). Couldnt have been easier.

Why did I remove it? Because the #%$*&@ black car cover was left on it for like 2 weeks of rain, and when I took the car cover off there was a brown film under the offbrand starshield. Its either dye that wicked from the cover or dirty water that passed through the cover and then wicked under all the starshield pieces. Looks like someone poored maple syrup all over the car. It was sector111's "best cover". I will add a crappy photo from my wifes cell phone. Now I keep it in the garage but will have to get another starshield put on, perhaps the one from Bears2k.com ?

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The pieces i'm taking off are only about 2"x2" in size. So, i'm not removing a huge piece of vinyl... Looks like i'll be using a hairdryer and some rubbing alcohol to clean the residue off. I'll wax afterwords for good measure :D Thx Roaddad

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
I like to use a steamer when taking it off, but for those small pieces it will be fine to just pick the edge with your fingernail and peel them off. It usually comes off fairly easy, at least if it was good stuff.

For anyone looking for replacement kits I sell quality kits at blow out prices:
Chuforia graffix
Includes installation instructions and squeegee, and have sold them to many many people here who have installed them themselves. I can send you kits for any other car you want as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts