The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search but didn't come up with anything.

Is there a disconnect for the harness that runs into the door?

Remove the 2 bolts on the door side hinge to remove door?

I'm painting my car one piece at a time.

·
Registered
907 Posts
From the service manual: 05. BR Body Fittings.pdf Pg. 15

"The door shell is mounted on the door beam via three screws through a flange at the front end of the beam, and by the door latch mounting bracket at the rear end. In order to provide fixing points for the beam, lock mechanism and other components, the door shell includes various tapping plates and brackets jig bonded to the inside of the shell, including fixing brackets for the accurate location of the window guide rails.
If a door is to be removed from the car, the preferred method is to release the M10 cap head screws clamping the upper and lower bushes to the door beam. The beam and door shell assembly may then be withdrawn from the hinge stator bracket without losing adjustment of the hinge alignment and door shutlines."

I'd post the whole thing, but I'm sure there would be complaints.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
From the service manual: 05. BR Body Fittings.pdf Pg. 15
I can't stress enough - if you haven't paid the $25 and downloaded the Factory Service Manual from the LCU website, do it. All this info and much more is in that Manual - every Lotus owner, should download a copy of the manual, even if you never plan on doing any work on the car yourself.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I can't stress enough - if you haven't paid the $25 and downloaded the Factory Service Manual from the LCU website, do it. All this info and much more is in that Manual - every Lotus owner, should download a copy of the manual, even if you never plan on doing any work on the car yourself.
Yea its seriously awesome reading. They even have the 2-11 supplement which goes in to all the technical details of the 2-11.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks for the info. I have the manual. I was an early customer on that Lotus Website. I won't forget having to right click 25 different files.

I didn't think to look in the service manual. I have the electrical part memorized.

I guess my main question was "what to do about the wire harness"? I guess I'll just cut the wires.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Door Help

Hi Jim,
Here is the schematic from the Lotus Elise Parts Manual.

I don't know if you have this, but it may help show the components on the door.

I'll keep looking for an electrical disconnect.

Regards,
Wayne

Attachments

Reactions: saitejal

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Thanks for the info. I have the manual. I was an early customer on that Lotus Website. I won't forget having to right click 25 different files.

I didn't think to look in the service manual. I have the electrical part memorized.

I guess my main question was "what to do about the wire harness"? I guess I'll just cut the wires.
That sounds like a move that only an idiot do.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
update

Thanks for the tips.

I ended up cutting the wires. I removed the two allen cap screws on the door hinged ( per instructions in the service manual ) and the door lifts right off.

I never found a quick disconnect for the wire harness. The harness winds it way through the inside of the door with many attach points.

I installed a Deutsch 6 pin connector near the clam side for re-attachment.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
update

Thanks for the tips.

I ended up cutting the wires. I removed the two allen cap screws on the door hinged ( per instructions in the service manual ) and the door lifts right off.

I never found a quick disconnect for the wire harness. The harness winds it way through the inside of the door with many attach points.

I installed a Deutsch 6 pin connector near the clam side for re-attachment.
Jim, was it as straight forward as the manual looks? The 2 caps, then the 2 bolts and it slides right out of the hinge? I too was looking for the wiring solution. Since doing this have any other options come to mind, or is cutting still pretty much the only solution?

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Jim, was it as straight forward as the manual looks? The 2 caps, then the 2 bolts and it slides right out of the hinge? I too was looking for the wiring solution. Since doing this have any other options come to mind, or is cutting still pretty much the only solution?
Well , it's been a while since I removed the door. I have to go with my original post " easy to do ".

It's been so long ago , I almost forgot holmz called me an idiot.

I guess you can go into door and disconnect all the wires. Must be the way Lotus constructs the car. I didn't mind cutting the wires and making the new connection with a high quality waterproof connector. I had visions of removing the door one a year.

Still working good after 6 years.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I did a search but didn't come up with anything.

Is there a disconnect for the harness that runs into the door?

Remove the 2 bolts on the door side hinge to remove door?

I'm painting my car one piece at a time.
I just performed this on my 2005 Elise. No cutting required The wiring harness junction is behind the start/light button dash piece. Easiest is to remove the threshold plastic (three screws), then pull up and away towards the back. Then remove the 2 screws for the light and start button panel which pulls out and down (tabs are at top). Then you can see where the cable runs to the door and the large white connector. Unhook and pull through. Much easier than I expected. Would take forever to disassemble from the door side. Hope this helps someone in the future!
Motor vehicle Vehicle Vehicle door Automotive exterior Car
Technology Auto part Vehicle Car Trunk

·
Premium Member
1,745 Posts
I just performed this on my 2005 Elise. No cutting required The wiring harness junction is behind the start/light button dash piece. Easiest is to remove the threshold plastic (three screws), then pull up and away towards the back. Then remove the 2 screws for the light and start button panel which pulls out and down (tabs are at top). Then you can see where the cable runs to the door and the large white connector. Unhook and pull through. Much easier than I expected. Would take forever to disassemble from the door side. Hope this helps someone in the future! View attachment 1261632 View attachment 1261633
Is it the same on the passenger side?

·
Premium Member
2005 Elise LSS Saffron Yellow
1,004 Posts
I just performed this on my 2005 Elise. No cutting required The wiring harness junction is behind the start/light button dash piece. Easiest is to remove the threshold plastic (three screws), then pull up and away towards the back. Then remove the 2 screws for the light and start button panel which pulls out and down (tabs are at top). Then you can see where the cable runs to the door and the large white connector. Unhook and pull through. Much easier than I expected. Would take forever to disassemble from the door side. Hope this helps someone in the future!
This would be the easier way if you don't need to gut the door anyway. Very often, you need some or all of the bits out of the door anyhow and it's easier to sit on the door sill and reach in to get at things (and often has better sight lines once you remove the window scraper seal). At that point it's not that bad to unhook the wiring from the inside door frame after having unplugged it from the electrical bits in the door.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
I just removed my passenger side door. The electrical is easy to unclip, mirroring the drivers side. When I pulled it, I first attached a piece of twine and then pulled the wires out of the car. The twine followed, allowing a way to fish the electrical back up again when I re-attach the door.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts