The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I wanted to drop the fuel tank this weekend and install a bigger fuel pump for the smaller pulley and tune. I've done some searching and haven't found a good thread that explained the removal (with pictures). Anyone have a good write up or pictures to go along with the process? I just don't want to mess it up since it's my DD until the subaru gets back.

Any help would be appreciated. Car is 2010 Exige s240. :nanner2:

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Hey guys,

I wanted to drop the fuel tank this weekend and install a bigger fuel pump for the smaller pulley and tune. I've done some searching and haven't found a good thread that explained the removal (with pictures). Anyone have a good write up or pictures to go along with the process? I just don't want to mess it up since it's my DD until the subaru gets back.

Any help would be appreciated. Car is 2010 Exige s240. :nanner2:
Prepare to tear your hair out if you have any left.

Remove undertray
Remove Diffuser
Remove shear panel
Remove right rear wheel and wheel arch liner
Remove seats
Remove plastic cover
Remove center console
Detach Shifter linkage
Remove all connections from fuel tank
Unbolt fuel tank
Remove fuel tank (easier said than done)
Remove fuel pump

*Note, the fuel pump will NOT come out as easy as shown in the video. It took me and 3 of my friends wrestling with the stupid thing for about 45 minutes to remove it.

Then replace the fuel pump and put everything back together again.
While you're in there, check for any debris in the tank. Also it's a good idea to run the tank to as close to empty as possible so you don't have 60 extra lbs of fuel to deal with.

I'm sure I missed some details but that is the process from what I remember.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
I second the motion on widening the access hole which is above the fuel pump from within the cabin. Just be prepared for the process of pulling the pump to be a nearly total nightmare. I have heard rumors that your year (2010) has a more generously sized hole for the pump to go in and out of without binding. If so, perhaps your tale will simply be a mildy frustrating one. Removing the fuel pump on a 2005 is frequently an epic tale which ends in the utter destruction of the original pump.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Take your time--when you get frustrated walk away and start again another day!
No..seriously can be difficult but overall not too bad of a job.
Why not put in a baffled tank while you are there?
Or you could just do a fuel surge tank instead?

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies everyone! I was looking at the thread from BOE. How do I get to that panel? Remove seats and what? I went out to Lowes and got a nice dremel and stuff to do this :)

Take your time--when you get frustrated walk away and start again another day!
No..seriously can be difficult but overall not too bad of a job.
Why not put in a baffled tank while you are there?
Or you could just do a fuel surge tank instead?
I was actually considering this... but the price is :panic: If i tracked my car I would have purchased it for sure, but it's not at the moment so I didn't want something overkill... besides I want to save up so I can buy all the track ready items at once (oil pan, etc.). I reckon that my Lotus will be a DD/sunday driver for another year or two before I have enough time/money to become a track junkie :tadts:

Any more information on getting to that aluminum access panel will be appreciated! If I do decide to tackle it on one of the longer weekends, I'll make sure to take plenty of pictures to compare or even write up a DIY for noobs like myself.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
To access that panel just remove the seats and the rear plastic cover. It will be behind the drivers' seat.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To access that panel just remove the seats and the rear plastic cover. It will be behind the drivers' seat.
Thanks for the help! If I don't work saturday I'll get to it this weekend... but I think I'm coming down with a pretty bad cold.... and I gotta fly for a living :mad:

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I tackled this today... did it through the cockpit. It was an epic tale indeed, but I didn't break anything and thankfully I had the right tools for the job. I took some pictures, but I didn't take enough for a DIY. Here are the steps:

1. Remove both seats after taking your hard top off. Need to remove seat belts too, especially the driver side.
2. Remove the water bottle holder (?) plastic piece that has your cigarette lighter
3. Remove the plastic tabs that holds your rear speakers. There was absolutely no way I could remove these pieces without destroying them in half. I destroyed all of them and just picked up some plastic rivets from autozone for replacement (12 of them). Remove speakers
4. Remove the harness bar. This was a $&$&**@ to work on, but I didn't have to cut the socket or anything like Phil posted. You just had to work it with a 1/4" ratchet and have another person hold the other end. This took a long time since the bar does not sit straight and it would not let us loosen up the bolts.
5. Remove the rear plastic trim piece. Don't forget to unplug the interior light harness. Now you can see where the fuel tank is supposed to be
6. Follow this now: BOE Fabrication - Lotus Elise, Exige, and Evora Performance ECM Tuning Products

I picked up a nice Dremel 4000 from Lowes. Worked like a charm! Make sure you have enough opening. The toughest parts were:
- The black fuel line that points to the 9'o clock. You REALLY have to pry this thing out. You have to pop the line out to a 90 degree while you push on the little tab at the end of the hose. Hard to explain but this was a pain.
- Taking the fuel pump assembly out. It took me a long time pulling and prying it out. They weren't kidding when they said it was a tight fit. I finally got it out AFTER my fuel pump assembly separated into two pieces. Not sure how it happened, but I had to fish out the bottom half. Finally got it out though! Replacing the fuel pump and soldering was straight forward.

7. Now you go backwards! Putting everything together was so much easier in my opinion. The harness bar was definitely easier to put it back. If you have trouble finding the hole (giggle), stuff your long socket with tissue or something so that the bolt doesn't fall into the socket. This helped a lot.

I tested the pump before putting everyting back together. It does seem a little louder when it's pumping at first (key in "on" position), but once started I couldn't hear any whine or anything. Probably because my car is already loud to begin with.

Let me know if you guys got any questions! I'm in the process of installing the 3.0" pulley right now... just taking a break

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Good, if I ever have to do it again I will fly you out. You will even get a happy meal and a beer out of it.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good, if I ever have to do it again I will fly you out. You will even get a happy meal and a beer out of it.
sounds good to me... never been to Arizona :)

Putting in the pulley right now. I was kind of surprised how easy it was to remove the bolt and to remove the stock pulley. There's a big difference in weight (aluminum vs steel) RLS 3.0" vs Stock. I'll post up some pics in my journal later.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
anyone have any trouble putting the dayco belt on? I've been at it for over an hour and can't put it on there.... hit bottom on the tensioner and try to loosen it as much as we can but we cannot put it on there. Any tips?

EDIT: Gave up after 2 hours of struggling, cursing, and throwing things... put the stock belt on. Doesn't seem to be slipping at idle. I'll know tomorrow when I go for a test drive

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
You are a brave soul Tyler! Racing at Hunt SF tomm. Well I wouldn't call what I do racing. More like flailing at the moment.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Haha thanks. Gonna put the wheel on, flash the new tune then go for a spin. Get some videos of the race tomorrow! Wish i could go but...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
2008 Lotus Exige-S 240
1,395 Posts
I second the motion on widening the access hole which is above the fuel pump from within the cabin. Just be prepared for the process of pulling the pump to be a nearly total nightmare. I have heard rumors that your year (2010) has a more generously sized hole for the pump to go in and out of without binding. If so, perhaps your tale will simply be a mildy frustrating one. Removing the fuel pump on a 2005 is frequently an epic tale which ends in the utter destruction of the original pump.
Just as a data point.. I did this two weekends ago and have an '08. Either I got lucky or the hole was slightly larger as my pump was not that hard to pull from my stock tank. The rest of the process was hell however.

If you still have the interior out, I recommend removing 4 bolts from interior to rear clam (see Phil's clam hinge instructions) so that in the future, if you ever remove the rear clam you no longer have to take the interior out again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts