The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are many ways to remove the stock plastic intercooler duct, most of them involve compound-cussing, sweating, and kicking of pets.

The adhesive that Lotus used to glue the plastic duct to the stock intercooler is quite tenacious.

You need the duct for your new intercooler... don't be a hero, do it the easy way.

It goes like this:

Step 1: drill a pilot hole in between the plastic duct and the intercooler core.

Step 2: use an airsaw to cut the thin aluminum between the duct and the core.

Step 3: cut around the entire perimeter of the duct until it is free from the core.

Step 4: CAREFULLY score the adhesive between the plastic duct and the remaining aluminum, using multiple shallow cuts.

Step 5: bend the aluminum away from the duct, being careful not to crack the duct, and trim away remaining adhesive.

Step 6: throw your old intercooler in the aluminum recycle bin! :clap:

Attachments

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Note: there are other ways to remove the plastic duct, but they are far more difficult and will result in cracks in the duct. The cracks can be fixed quite easily with 2-part epoxy that is made for ABS - plastic. (Check your local hardware store).

This is the easiest method that I have found. Alternatively, you can order a new plastic intercooler duct from Lotus (I think they are about $120?) or an RLS carbon fiber duct.

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Be gentle, only some like it rough :nanner::nanner:

Forgot to tell you guys. Try tooth floss, it works for me. :nanner2::nanner2:

What kind of evil toothfloss do you use??!? I haven't tried a guitar string for removing the duct, that might work...

·
Registered
570 Posts
The other alternative is to call Fox Valley and have them ship you a brand new duct. I'll bet it's cheaper than thought, and this will save a stock intercooler for someone that will need it in the future.

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Anyone try a windshield removal tool? Has a 90 deg knife on a nice big handle, even has a t handle connected by steel cord for pulling.(if you get somone to hold down the IC)
Or just buy a nice Carbon one from RLS:clap:

I just think it's a waste to destroy a good IC for a stupid piece of plastic..Save up and buy one from Rls or oem.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Anyone try a heat gun?

·
Registered
443 Posts
Hi
My gun metal grey intercooler and pipes from the group buy look awesome. I was wondering about the Prop Rod. Were you sending that along? I'll take mine in gold.

Also, I just read this thread about removing the shroud from the old intercooler. I did not realize it is such a PITA with the glue and all. How does your Carbon Fiber shroud attach to the new intercooler? I might get one to save the original for resale.

Jim Nichols

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Hi
My gun metal grey intercooler and pipes from the group buy look awesome. I was wondering about the Prop Rod. Were you sending that along? I'll take mine in gold.

Also, I just read this thread about removing the shroud from the old intercooler. I did not realize it is such a PITA with the glue and all. How does your Carbon Fiber shroud attach to the new intercooler? I might get one to save the original for resale.

Jim Nichols
You can use Black high temp RTV that you can get at any autozone to mount the Carbon shroud. I did one for someone that way per Thomasio's instructions.

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Heat gun does nothing... it is a pretty tenacious urethane that they use.

Carbon fiber duct attaches with high temp RTV silicone, black or clear.

You can get the plastic duct from Lotus for $120-ish IIRC. The RLS carbon fiber duct is $349, not cheap but it is nice.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.