The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I "cleaned" my wheels yesterday using a Scotch Brite pad like this:

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003FYJ83S/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1395613450&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40[/ame]

Completely dulled and put fine scratches on my AWI's

What's the best way to repair? Send them to a professional?

:facepalm

Attachments

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have them refinished usually runs about 70 to 100 a wheel
Jeepers,

Just noticed in the photo, they looked "curbed" also. Don't know how that could have happened. :mad: Anyone have a favorite wheel shop in Atlanta?

You are correct; refinishing sounds like best plan. Does a refinisher usually require dismounted wheels, without tires?

Maybe I should just take it in to LOA, time for a service anyway, and let them send them out or have a mobile operator come to their shop while they do a regular service.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,428 Posts
Yeah, for an A1 job, send them to a pro. This area's favorite refinisher (Wheel Collision Center) charges about $130 a wheel but that not only refinishes them, they are repaired and checked for "true". http://wheelcollision.com/

That brownish brake dust looks really baked-on. Had you tried a dedicated wheel cleaner first?

If those wheels were mine (and the curb rash wasn't a killer) I'd try a wheel cleaner first (some can be nasty, don't leave the chemicals on the finish too long); then do the wet sand routine I do for paint chips:

Use a light hand pressure with fine (1200 grit or higher) sandpaper, use plenty of water, followed by an automotive polish, then Swirl Mark Remover, then a good wax.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
By cleaning them with Scotch-Brite you damaged the clear coat. There are products you can buy to repair it yourself but to get professional results you need to have a professional do it. They get dismounted, blasted repaired, and then painted. Powder is the way to go because it is very tough and durable. There should be a shop in your area that specializes in wheel reconditioning. Here in NJ there are even shops that have mobile services that come to you and can do them in your driveway. They mostly go to dealerships but they will do end users too. If you can't find one nearby ask a local body shop who they use. If you decide you want to try to do it yourself look at Eastwood.com for products.
David Teitelbaum

·
Cal H
982 Posts
After the wheels are grease free use 3M fine cut and buffing wheel. If you used a scrubbie you most likely can skip the sand paper if the clear was what was damaged. With all the irregular surfaces of the wheel there will probably be a lot of sling of the fine cut from the buffer so take the wheel off the car and do it away from anything the fine cut wet sling and dry dust can contaminate and get on. As you spin the buffer the fine cut will sling off the buffing pad. You don't have to worry too much about respirator as long as the pad is kept moist from use. The finecut is a silcia product and as it dries the abrasive residue should not be inhaled. Its like dust so I use it outdoors in the driveway and wash it away with a hose. It is the same stuff I use as the last step when I fill in paint dings and flush them with the OEM paint. As with any similar product use as little as you can to do the job and follow the instructions

1 - 9 of 9 Posts