The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody removed the side mirrors from an Elise. My driver's side mirror has a very noticeable gash on top, also has a discolored spot the size of a nickel. I noticed that the side mirrors are horizontally symmetrical, so maybe I can switch the left one with the right one, then that gash will be on the passenger's side, facing downwards (less noticeable). Do you have to first remove the bulkhead (the part that connects the side mirror to the door)? When I open the car's door, I see 2 round black stickers, these probably cover the screws which hold the bulkhead to the door. If I peel them off, will they lose their stickiness? Maybe I should use some solvent instead of peeling them off dry, and let the solvent completely dry before re-sticking them on? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Swapping side mirror housing

To clarify my question, I'd like to swap the outer housing of the side mirrors, since I have a gash on the top surface of the driver's side mirror housing. They appear to be symmetrical, so I want to switch the left with right. Does anyone know if the two halves of the housing are glued together, or if I can disassemble them somehow? I also noticed there was a taped hole on the mirror bulkhead? (the part that connects the flexible collar to the car door). I peeled it off and there's a screw inside, but I realize I must detach everything from the door first, then there will be enough room to reach that inner screw with a screwdriver. But I don't know if this will only detach the flexible collar from the bulkhead, is there another screw inside? If someone has experience, or the schematics for these parts, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'm also trying to remove the mirror assembly but not the plinth. The manual says "use a cross head cranked screwdriver to remove the screw (10 in diagram above) recessed into the inside face of the plinth." That's it. I removed the screw and it's still tight. I'm afraid to apply too much force, particularly since it's like 40 degrees outside. Am I missing a step or just the fortitude to push/pull harder?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts