The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My first mod was to do Stan's mod to remedy the squishy 3-2 shifts (10-days after acquiring my 05 Elise w/ 3800 miles). I'm stuck at the step of removing the console because the shift-knob wont come off.

My gear shift knob is stuck even tho i've removed the 4mm set screw. The knob will rotate a bit (doesn't appear to be threaded) but it stops about 1 turn CCW. However, it won't come off with a clean vertical jerk. I may spray the seam with some WD-40 and wait for it to penetrate & try again (this works with even red-loctite).

Also, how does one get the 'leather-like' boot off? On most cars, this is secured with a clip. It seems to hang on the reverse collar.

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
The knob won't come off easily because the set screw has damaged the threads on the shifter rod. Shoot some penetrating oil in the set screw hole and then work the knob back and forth until you can get the knob to unthread.

The shift boot is secured with a zip tie under the boot just under the shift knob that you need to cut. BTW, you only need to cut the zip tie to get the center console out and you can leave the shift knob in place. Once the zip tie is cut the boot will slip over the knob.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the tip!

I did discover that the knob does appear to be threaded, it rises about 2 mm after about 1 rotation.

I'll spray WD40 into the hole.

Edit: i got the knob off & the console. Now my problem is that my hole in the shifter assembly doesn't line up with threaded hole in the base of the car. I saw that in some of the follow-on responses to a Stans' mod-thread. So i'm considering enlarging the hole in the frame....

Also, my car had the factory recall/replacement of the shifter assembly. I found the old cut zip tie. Also, i removed only the passenger seat; this was secured by 4 recessed 6mm-hex bolts (silver) while the driver's side is secured by 4 black hex-head bolts.

Edit: i ended enlarging the hole with a Dremel tool equipped with a milling bit. The hole ended up looking like a rounded triangle. After assembling the parts & doing the Sector111-like mod, I took a quick drive- I can't say I felt a big difference in downshifts. Will have to take a longer drive.

The knob won't come off easily because the set screw has damaged the threads on the shifter rod. Shoot some penetrating oil in the set screw hole and then work the knob back and forth until you can get the knob to unthread.

The shift boot is secured with a zip tie under the boot just under the shift knob that you need to cut. BTW, you only need to cut the zip tie to get the center console out and you can leave the shift knob in place. Once the zip tie is cut the boot will slip over the knob.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts