The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am trying to finish my K40 nicely, so i have to remove the front fender...

It seems like one piece... where should i start?

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
I'd suggest that you consider fishing the wires where you need them to go. Maybe yank the metal under panel if that helps. The clam is not a quick thing to install/remove. And it is shimmed and aligned properly right now. It is bolted down in many places including under the wheel well liners and under those removeable triangular hood panels.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
s4norice,
The front fender part (where that little line runs) is bonded to the rest of the clam, it doesn't come off separately, as Stan says, you'd have to pull the front clam.
Chris

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
To add to what Stan said, you can't just "remove a fender". You would have to remove the whole clam as it's essentially one piece - the whole front of the car from the doors/windshield forward...

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Maybe Randy will chime in....I recall he mounted a Chase Camera in the front grill and was able to snake the wiring past the AC/Radiator and thence toward the car interior. Meat's wheel well liner suggestion is excellent, I have only had the front portion of the liner off (to adjust headlamp aim and change to better bulbs) but you can see that access to nooks and crannies is there.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Following Stans last post, if you remove the triangular cover pieces in front of the windhield (we need a technical term for these) and than the black grille, you'll be able to fish the wires from the front "mouth" all the way to the interior. Under the LH triangular cover loosen the fuse box and under and to the left of it you'll find where the main wiring harness comes from the cockpit to the front clam area. Once you get it into the cabin, the wire will be under the dash board on the passengers' side and from there you can take it wherever you like.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
One thing to watch with the wheel arch liners is that they have some things mounted to them (at least on the S1). So, you have may have to remove some things from the liner before pulling it out.

My bonnet is different than yours so I don't know what is under there. You should be able to pull those "bonnet panels" (new term for them) and have access to the radiator shroud which will get you down into the grill area.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
In this photo you will notice a thick black wire on the left. I snaked this down and then taped the camera wire to it and pulled it up. Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
A view from the front left wheel. I tie strapped this wire so there was no chance of slack.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
NtflBlueLiz said:
Under the LH triangular cover loosen the fuse box and under and to the left of it you'll find where the main wiring harness comes from the cockpit to the front clam area.
That would be the Right Hand side. It's customary to refer to the left and right side of a car from the perspective of sitting in the driver's seat, not standing in front looking at the car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts