The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for what's probably a really stupid easy question, i've tried searching for the answer and couldn't find anything useful. I am a zero in DIY things.

Could anyone point me to a video, or some tutorial (with pictures if possible) with instructions on how to remove the seats of a Lotus Elise?.

I'm trying to add some sound dampening and all i could research is that i need some sort of articulated extension to unscrew some bolts and i don't even know what these things look like in order to purchase them (Yes. i am that much of a zero DIY).

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
191 Posts
You are going to need more than a bit of sound deadening to get results. Also don't know if quiet was considered when the sport elise was conceived. I took out the louder cup airbox the previous owner put in but realized it went well with the car's character so it's going back in. Point is give the car some time to grow on you as is.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are going to need more than a bit of sound deadening to get results. Also don't know if quiet was considered when the sport elise was conceived. I took out the louder cup airbox the previous owner put in but realized it went well with the car's character so it's going back in. Point is give the car some time to grow on you as is.
I don't mind it being loud. i just need a few decibles down so my ears don't hurt after a long mountain road session.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Javier:
I just removed my seats two weekends ago! Can you say wicked easy? I did not have the special tool they suggested, but just added enough short extensions to the ratchet that it had some play in it to sort of curve behind the pass seat. It was eight bolts, and the seatbelts.

My biggest suggestion is memorize the placement of all the screws and such that you take out(maybe take pics of how the seatbelts were configured, etc.) so you are sure to return it to the same place. Also, be careful of the seatbelt sensor connection under the drivers seat, it looked pretty fragile.

Do this with the roof off and I would also suggest covering the door jams with something to avoid any unnecessary scratches, or grease stains.

It took 2 of us a couple of hours, but I took them out to clean under there because I spilled something, and there was a ton of broken glass under the pass seat, so I wanted to vacuum and clean everything very well before putting it back together.

Good luck, I hope this helps. BTW, I am not sexist, but I am a chick...

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Right rear of passenger seat is only challenging one to get to. Hardest part is putting it back together. Very easy to crossthread or strip the bolts into the aluminium. You will be surprised, perhaps alarmed at how little actually holds the seat to the chassis. Might be a good time to install Sectors SYSPAK kit. I swear it's easier to reinstall the seats with it. And worlds more secure.
I used a 12" extension on a 1/4" socket wrench, with a swivel on the bottom end.

Very easy to drop something. Look out for the black L shaped metal tabs on rear inboard screws both seats. You will find them and wonder where they go.

Electrical connections to each seat easily unplug. And don't have to be replugged.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Thanks for the additional info X, I forgot about those L tabs.

I have seen people avoid replugging the seatbelt connections, but I wondered how that affects the whole safety system. Doesn't that basically tell the seatbelt to tighten up in the event of a crash or air bag deployment?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Thanks for the additional info X, I forgot about those L tabs.

Doesn't that basically tell the seatbelt to tighten up in the event of a crash or air bag deployment?
No, it's just for the tell tale light in the dash, "put your seat belt on'

Taking the seats out is easy. The instructions others have provided above. When they are out just be careful to not move the drivers seat carriage (they can move seperately) otherwise you will be all confused on the refit. Mine had cap head screws so I used a standard allen key to remove them. I had my seat in and out many times as I was adjusting the rake to have the seat more upright (bad neck). I eventually changed the bolts for longer ones and turned the gooseneck extensions at the front upside down with some packing front and rear.

You can also add Sound deadening easily to;
the floor under the mats
Behind the door panels http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f92/removing-interior-door-pulls-114062/
Behind the seats (I used accoustic foam here)
Some may laugh, but I fitted custom made sheepskin covers and this also makes the cab a lot quieter. The seats are also alot more comfy

Hope this helps

·
Premium Member
2,971 Posts
bump

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,684 Posts
Earplugs.

·
Registered
831 Posts
The seats are not difficult to extract, I second the extension on ratchets technique for the hard to reach bolt. Don't forget how the little L-shaped spacers are aligned, though. If all you're doing is getting the seats out, as opposed to changing them out, then you don't even need to take off the bracket that holds the seatbelts on. You can pull out the whole seat and have it sit on the floor with the seatbelt attached.

The airbag light sensor has nothing to do with the whole system, it's just an annoying tell-tale. I pulled mine out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts