The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This 2005 Elise grinds when shifting from second to third gear unless I shift real slow. Also I can't put it into first unless it's at a dead stop.

First question is how do you remove the transmission? Do you have to remove it together with the engine and then separate, or can you take it out the bottom of the car after sliding it off the engine?

Second question is how hard is it to repair what I assume are worn syncros? I’ve done a little internal engine work but no transmission work. I assume you just take everything apart and replace the bad bits and put it back together?

·
Registered
582 Posts
There is alot of good posts on this that go further in depth then I will. Here is a link to one. http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f25/transmission-removal-53670/

I recently pulled the trans. It would of been just as easy to pull the motor out and then the trans as just pulling the trans. You will need to remove the rear engine mount, the drivers side trans mount, take out the drivers side lower A-arm and suspension and then lower the trans and engine and unbolt and slide it out. Sounds easy but I hope you like bench pressing akward objects when you put it back in. Look into Monkey wrench racing for repair. They have reasonable prices and it only cost me about 62 bucks to ship the trans to them in michigan from CT.

·
SMDDanny
64 Posts
Ziker, i just bought an 05 Elise with bad synchros, intend to do same. Where are you in Ct?

It just looks likea few hours of wrenching to get the box out. I wad wondering if it was easier to take the rear clam off first...

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If it's just as easy, I'd probably just take out the trans by itself. I see MR has new and used transmissions but no mention about the cost of rebuilding one. Is it that hard to DIY? What about seeing if a local Toyota dealer tech would do it as a side job?

·
Registered
463 Posts
I'm going to put my c60 with LSD from my exige for sale next week if one of you guys are interested instead if rebuilding the Elise one. It's around 990-1100 to rebuild it from a Toyota place at least in Vegas. It's not to hard to take it out, in my opinion it's easier to pull out the whole engine and the unscrew like 8-10 bolts the slide it off plus putting it back on is a breeze with the engine out as well .

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
728 Posts
Sounds like you have a clutch problem too. From a stop, does it grind going into reverse?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The problem is I don't think I could tell a worn syncro from a good one other then replacing the one that grinds.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
You have made sure the plastic bushings at the transmission are good and have tried to adjust the cables first. Correct?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No, I'll check that but if it grinds when shifting quick and doesn't grind if I shift slow, would that make a differance?

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
728 Posts
Clutch is probably not dragging then, and the syncros are shot, as you suspect.

I'm no transmission expert (I R&R them, but that's it), but I bought a book:

that is thorough. Shows pictures of what bad parts look like, like the syncros and gears. If you are going to do the job yourself, you might check the book out.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
The engine moves around a lot on the stock mounts so a possible bind on the quick shifting. That was my thought process as I had to adjust mine

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
As an 80 YO i did my clutch change with only a few minutes help to [email protected] the clam. Lets see if i can find some pix.....

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
and it only cost me about 62 bucks to ship the trans to them in michigan from CT.
What did shipping the transmission look like? How did you package it and, who did you used to ship it? (mine might be going a little further... )

·
Registered
582 Posts
The first time that i shipped the tranny I strapped it to a small skid I made and wrapped it with plastic wrap. Worked great. I used UPS through my wifes company .The second time I shipped it the same way. This time, the skid disappeared. It literally showed up with no packaging. It was still ok but ..... something happened to my straps...

·
Registered
7,350 Posts
Monkey Wrench a great resource for this. I'm sure they would even send you a shipping container.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts