The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on the highway & a rig was throwing tire everywhere, which hit my car & left marks on the bottom right side of my vehicle. (just behind the door near the right rear tire) How do you remove these marks? I did a quick Google search & tried tar remover, polishing compound, & WD 40, but nothing has worked. Wondering if any of you guys have used something that works on the StarShield?

Sal

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
Registered
841 Posts
I hope that works for you. I have rubber and cone imprints on parts of my starshield that are so embedded that not even buffing will remove the mark.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Adams made a product called Clear Polish that was made for starshield. Works perfectly on rubber marks. I bought a gallon of it...not sure if the make it anymore but if they do I highly recommend it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Spectre - if the other items don't work, I'll definitely get some of this as I did find the product online.

Sal

·
Long-term Lotus Fanatic
980 Posts
I used to work my butt off trying to get rubber marks off after track events - was using Turtle Wax bug and tar remove. Worked but took a lot of effort.

I just started using Mothers Race Rubber Remover - amazing stuff. Spray on, wait, wipe off. Gets most marks off first try with no effort. :thumbup:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Ervsch - I think I'll try the Mothers stuff first since it seems it was specifically designed to remove rubber marks from a car's exterior. Plus, at around $9, it's the cheapest.

Sal

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,684 Posts
Umm...keep it simple......TurtleWax Bug & Tar remover does the job. ( and for track day rubber also )

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Was in my dads garage & found a can of Tarminator, which a friend of mine recommended I use. After a decent amount of working with the product, all the tire marks came off.

Thanks to all for their suggestions.

Sal

·
Premium Member
2,972 Posts
Which one, if any, will take pylon marks off Star Shield?

My buddy uses acetone, but using that stuff so close to body paint scares me silly.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have been using goo-gone to take pylon and race rubber marks off the Starshield with great results. I just put a little bit on a rag and rub lightly, the rubber or pylon marks come right off, then I rinse the area quickly afterwards (not sure if it would do anything to the Starshield if left on for a long time). No discoloration or dulling has been noticed after using it for about 6 months now.

Goo-gone continues to amaze me :)

·
Registered
644 Posts
Best product I have ever used is Mothers R3. Specifically formulated to remove tire rubber. I now buy it by the case.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Tire hitting starshield will damage the very soft starshield. You can try buffing/polishing but that just weakens it. StarShield (3M Paint Protection) and all the like are meant to be replaced not repaired. Consider that you've gotten your money's worth and be happy your paint has been protected well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts