The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had to go about 10 miles out of my way so I could minimize exposure, but still had to drive about a mile on it. Looks like the Lotus will sit in the garage for the next week or two. :mad:
0827080914a.jpg

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
At least they use fresh oil on their chips. Nothing worse than a rancid tasting chip.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Chips are nothing without a proper piece of fish or two. Oil? Plenty of that already, what you really need is malt vinegar. :p

·
Registered
807 Posts
if i came across that sign on the side of the road, i wouldn't have the slightest idea what that means.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
if i came across that sign on the side of the road, i wouldn't have the slightest idea what that means.
Which one? The oil & chips sign or the "A Salt & Battery" sign? If it was the latter, I'd be going there for a spontaneous meal.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Short answer: 'Road Closed' unless you're driving a beater, preferably a beater truck.

Long answer: In rural areas in the NorthEast this is a 'refresher' coat applied to some roads. Instead of paving over a road, or re-concreting it, they apply a coat of oil followed up by a coat of small stones. The stones get worked into the oil and the result is very similar to a 'normal' paved road. It's quicker and cheaper than a full resurface. Problem is that until it's completely compressed your car will not only kick up a ton of stones, but stones that have tar / oil stuck to them.

·
Registered
807 Posts
no, the original road construction sign.

we have paved concrete or asphalt roads in Los Angeles and don't use wells, septic tanks or heating oil either so i'm a little unfamiliar with these regional 'quirks'.

but we do like our fish and chips out here too, so long as they're non-trawled icelandic cod fried in trans-fat free canola oil and parmesan-garlic fries with a dipping aoli rotfl

·
Registered
807 Posts
Short answer: 'Road Closed' unless you're driving a beater, preferably a beater truck.

Long answer: In rural areas in the NorthEast this is a 'refresher' coat applied to some roads. Instead of paving over a road, or re-concreting it, they apply a coat of oil followed up by a coat of small stones. The stones get worked into the oil and the result is very similar to a 'normal' paved road. It's quicker and cheaper than a full resurface. Problem is that until it's completely compressed your car will not only kick up a ton of stones, but stones that have tar / oil stuck to them.
ah, thanks! yeah probably not the best thing for cars....

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
if you ever come to hawaii you gotta go to either Dukes canoe club or keoki's paradise or one of the other restaraunts owned by the same people...

their fish and chips are made from fresh ono or mahimahi... soooo good

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Lotta sympathy ya get around here, eh m4mica? rotfl
yes that's always a bad sign.
where's that road? i'll have to miss it.
sam

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Sam, obviously you can feel my pain. If you're out of Washington I wouldn't sweat it. It's on the other side of the city in Southern Butler County. It's Dinnerbell Rd which runs from Rt. 8 to Saxonburg. It has been a brutal summer and typical PennDOT job. 1) They patched the inevitable potholes but didn't roll them right so there was about a 1" lip. Of course, they didn't do a continous stream so there was these bumps all over the place. It was like Autocross driving home; 2) They decided to put new drain pipes under the road. That resulted in an excavation perpendicular to the road that they left filled with just gravel for a month. 3) The tar-and-chip mess to cover up their other messes.

Oh well. Unlike Cali at least we have ... um .... well ... uhhhh.... Geez, is there actually anything better about living here than Cali? :huh:

·
Registered
807 Posts
you guys have cheesesteak sammies!! we get lean organic tofurkey crap and goat cheese on chiabatta bread.

·
Registered
807 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
you guys have cheesesteak sammies!! we get lean organic tofurkey crap and goat cheese on chiabatta bread.
Everyone knows about Philly cheesesteaks (which are incredible BTW) but less known and equally artery-clogging are Pittsburgh's Primanti's sammies. pitts_primantis_sandwich.jpg
:drool: :drool: :drool:

·
Registered
218 Posts
Heh, we have that all the time here, but the signs are a bit different -- they are just pictograms to comply with EU regulations (27 languages.. so no words used in general) -- it's a photo of a car with some gravel beign kicked up. On some roads that need patching, they just dump some gravel and leave it to the cars to work it out/in. They put up 30 km/h signs, but still no good. I do my best to avoid such situations. but they only have 3 months a year for road repairs (long winters), so the repairs are often widespread and thus unavoidable. I'm in the car driving quite about 20 km/h and dodging every potential bump/crater in the road.

More than once, I've been in a small town having a festival and their parking lot was down a bumpy, uneven gravel road. They're usually pretty cool about making accommodations so I can park in a place where I don't need to worry about scraping bottom, though sometimes it takes a bit of strong words in English to work it out.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts