The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My battery keeps coming lose from its lock in position and moves around when driving. I am under the impression that the only thing holding it down are the two carpet clamps? Doesn't seem like a good design given how bump/rough the ride is. Any ideas how to secure the battery down so it doesn't come loose?

·
Premium Member
6,764 Posts
OE battery had a ridge at its base that the retainer firmly pinched up against. many replacement batteries don't have that ridge so the stock method doesn't work.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Might consider upgrading the battery then. Pretty crappy design on Lotus's end IMHO.

·
Premium Member
11,852 Posts
Assuming your battery has the ridge:

Glue rubber to mount

Bend mount so it's tighter

Put rubber, or 2 pcs HD Velcro under battery.

My Interstate never moves a bit.

edit: Oh, push mount against battery when tightening mount bolt. Check rear mount bolt, too.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I took some aluminum bar stock from Home Depot and made a strap that bolts to the back side mount and the wraps/folds around the back of the battery and then makes it way down under the front side clamp. Weighs nothing, was very inexpensive and works well.

It's three segments pop-riveted together.

·
give me my second cam!
451 Posts
I took some aluminum bar stock from Home Depot and made a strap that bolts to the back side mount and the wraps/folds around the back of the battery and then makes it way down under the front side clamp. Weighs nothing, was very inexpensive and works well.

Could you possisbly snap a few pics of how the strap works that you made? Thanks..I am having the same problem as the op and sorry for hijacking this thread!:D

·
Registered
409 Posts
Dude don't drive the car hard with the battery like that. I have a friend who had to replace the clam because the loose battery smashed it.

·
Premium Member
6,764 Posts
If you're a track junkie, an Odyssey 625 will do just fine. IUts smaller, lighter and more CCA but less reserve. had mine since May 2008 and never an issue even when cranking stereo with sub etc>>>

·
Premium Member
11,852 Posts

good job.

·
Premium Member
5,193 Posts
Doesn't Sector 111 sell an upgraded battery clamp? Definetely do NOT drive without the battery secure. It WILL bounce around the trunk and crack the clam.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I made a similar bracket for an Optima. I cut it to fit into the battery cell towers. I also put a strap around the battery.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
i run a pc680 & use the factory bracket to hold it from sliding sideways, but also use a strip of Velcro to keep it from doing the same front to back

never had an issue (but the battery weighing only 12ish lbs probably doesn't hurt my cause

1 - 16 of 16 Posts