The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hired a guy to install the heater coil by-pass device for my 06 Elise, and he did take apart my dash board to do some wiring. After the installation I have this tapping sound like a loose wire hiting the dash board (it also sounds like a loose washer bouncing on the hard surface) right behind the driver side ac vent in between 1k to 2.5k RPMs. Does anyone know how to take apart the ac vent piece so I can take a look what is going on there? Do I need to disassemble the steering column and the instrument part of dash board to take vent portion apart? TIA

·
Registered
206 Posts
Yes... you need to remove the cover around the steering wheel. If I recall there are 6 screws for the cover (2 on top, 1 on each side & 2 on the bottom). Once you have the cover off, there are 3 or 4 screws holding the speedo binnacle on. Remove those screws and then firmly pull the binnacle towards you (assuming you are sitting in the seat). After you do that, remove the screws that hold the light-switch and starter-button panel. After you remove that there should be 2 more screws visible... take those out and then just firmly pull the vent next to the door towards you and it should pop out. It should pull out enough so you can see where the noise is coming from.

This is from memory but it should be close. There are full write-ups on here somewhere if you do a search.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Driver side AC vent piece removal

Thanks very much for the link. From your write-up it seems like I only need to remove the driver side AC vent piece without removing any other pieces, am I right?

·
Registered
907 Posts
The AC Vent piece is tucked under the steering column cowling where the two blue circles are in this photo. It's going to be easier to remove the cowling first. It's only 6 screws and 4 clips.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts