The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to determine if my 400 comes with the factory amp?

I have the Alpine INE-w960 head unit and the sound is utterly horrid. I was planning on adding the KTP-445 amp but I heard that some cars already have an amp from the factory. Is there a way to determine if my car has one already? Thanks in advance.

·
Loves to talk
1,058 Posts
I believe you mean "subwoofer: do you not? The Monroney sticker will show it as a separate option. However, if my experience is anything to go by having the sub and having it actually work are two different things.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I believe you mean "subwoofer: do you not? The Monroney sticker will show it as a separate option. However, if my experience is anything to go by having the sub and having it actually work are two different things.
I was filling up the tank one day and left the stereo on while doing so. I was hearing the subwoofer sound more from outside than I ever have inside the car. I’m hoping to have a complete overhaul of the sound system done soon.

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
I was filling up the tank one day and left the stereo on while doing so. I was hearing the subwoofer sound more from outside than I ever have inside the car. I’m hoping to have a complete overhaul of the sound system done soon.
The 400s probably use the same (or similar) ported subwoofer enclosure as the S1s. The port fires into the quarter panel on the RHS, just in front of the rear wheel well, and is then vented to the outside.

Not sure why Lotus went with a ported design in the first place, but to vent it to outside the car makes very little sense. If you do overhaul it, you can block off the port and it'll sound at least 10x better, even w/ the stock woofer.

·
Loves to talk
1,058 Posts
I have to try that! :D.

Thanks dr8. That explains a lot.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I've definitely got the sub woofer (at least according to the window sticker) but it doesn't work. I pulled the rear amplifier fuse and that is OK. Am I correct that the next thing to check is a fuse on the amplifier itself? I realize this has been discussed elsewhere but could someone point me to the information I need to get to the amplifier and check its fuse? I have a 2017 Evora 400.
Thanks

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've definitely got the sub woofer (at least according to the window sticker) but it doesn't work. I pulled the rear amplifier fuse and that is OK. Am I correct that the next thing to check is a fuse on the amplifier itself? I realize this has been discussed elsewhere but could someone point me to the information I need to get to the amplifier and check its fuse? I have a 2017 Evora 400.
Thanks
Hi, OP here. I originally started this thread because I was wondering the same thing as you.

I was having the same symptoms (I think it's common) and had given up hope, assuming that the amp or sub was shot because they never worked from day 1. Then, I decided to put a new head unit in because I didn't like the Alpine one. To my surprise, after connecting the RCA jacks from the factory unit to my new one, the amp and sub are now working properly. There's actually deep bass that hits now. My theory is that the factory Alpine head unit was not properly sending power/signal to the amp. I've heard others have also had success with the amp and sub after changing their head unit, so it might be worth a try.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had to turn mine on. Why it was off, I have no clue.

I had to turn off the Bass Engine SQ so I could mess with the settings. Once I did that I was able to hear the subwoofer and then I tweaked crossovers and got the subwoofer to put out decent sound. Have to be very careful with it because it’s easy to get distortion.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Having proper equalizer settings makes a big difference.

I saved my settings out in their cloud as public if you want to download them.

·
Illegal Alien
4,979 Posts
Thanks
Two fuses for subwoofer amp, one in cars circuits, other on amp behind rear side panel

·
Registered
199 Posts
I assume the system must work with the stock head unit but I would consider changing it if only to get apply carplay. I think I will start by looking to see if the amp fuse is blown first and after that I suppose the next thing to check would be that the headunit is wired up correctly.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Thanks- I will check the amp fuse over the weekend. Can anyone point me to information about how to remove the side panel to access the amp?

·
Registered
288 Posts
I changed every setting I could find on my factory Alpine AND the aftermarket Alpine I bought, and with both the subwoofer output was incredibly low. I swapped in a Pioneer aftermarket head unit and it started playing at a reasonable volume! I was shocked that the factory sub actually sounds pretty good, and all it needed was a better head unit.

·
Illegal Alien
4,979 Posts
Thanks- I will check the amp fuse over the weekend. Can anyone point me to information about how to remove the side panel to access the amp?
I would suggest purchasing a 1 hr download from the Lotus Cars site:

Welcome | VSI

of all chapters of the Service Notes and Parts Lists for your Evora. This costs less than $20 and is an invaluable source of information.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I would suggest purchasing a 1 hr download from the Lotus Cars site:

Welcome | VSI

of all chapters of the Service Notes and Parts Lists for your Evora. This costs less than $20 and is an invaluable source of information.
Thanks for this... I will but no rush while under warranty.

Is there simply an electronic owners manual for the 400 somewhere? I want it on my phone and out of the car.

·
Illegal Alien
4,979 Posts
Thanks for this... I will but no rush while under warranty.

Is there simply an electronic owners manual for the 400 somewhere? I want it on my phone and out of the car.

My car is under warranty, but I still reference those manuals. The Service Notes give a description of not only how to remove a part but why systems perform they way they do. Additionally everyone pulls the CEL codes off their device and reads the generic troubleshooting, the manual tells you specifically what systems interact and where to start trouble shooting. Much better to take to dealer with background knowledge than being in the dark. Cheapest $20 you will ever spend to better know your car.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Thanks- the amp is definitely dead so I will have a look at that over the weekend.

When I try to subscribe to VISC to download the manuals when I try to place my order I get this error message

Error message
Payment failed at the payment server. Please review your information and try again.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any idea whats going on?

·
Illegal Alien
4,979 Posts
Thanks- the amp is definitely dead so I will have a look at that over the weekend.

When I try to subscribe to VISC to download the manuals when I try to place my order I get this error message

Error message
Payment failed at the payment server. Please review your information and try again.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any idea whats going on?
Bet your CC thinks its a fraud use of card

1 - 20 of 20 Posts