The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the market for an Evora soon. Probably a 2010, maybe a used 2011. Besides an ECU dump and service history, what do you look for when test driving the car that would tell you to walk away when it comes to the clutch? Buying from a private owner with no warranty is even scarier - could be selling because he knows the clutch is about to go out. I've driven manuals all my life - currently drive a 2008 M3 and am familiar with normal clutches. But have never really had a clutch go out on me so don't know what to look for.

Thanks for any tips, suggestions to keep me from becoming the owner of a car with a bad clutch.
James

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Aside from unusual noises (at idle, comparing clutch in and clutch out), a simple test for clutch slipping is to find a reasonable length hill on a drive and get into 5th or 6th at ~ 2000 rpm and nail the throttle. It will be pretty obvious if the clutch is slipping by checking engine rpm (and smell ;))

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool - thanks for the tips! Another problem is the closest Evora from me in Memphis is 350 miles. Trying to get as much legwork done before I make a trip. Are most owners and dealers cool with providing service record history and ECU dumps? How about PPI's?

·
Premium Member
12,195 Posts
Put parking brake on hard.

Rev engine slightly.

Let out clutch.

If engine doesn't die instantly, clutch could be slipping.

Uh, make sure there's some room in front of you.

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
Great - these procedures just proved what I suspected, that my Victory Motorcycle needs a new clutch. lol

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Yeah, do them all and you WILL need a new clutch!:facepalm

I would definitively ask the previous owner for a complete list of things he has had fixed. Specifically the early cars had quite a few teething issues. These were all covered under warranty, but if the previous owner didn't notice them or had them fixed you ma be in for a bigger bill.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've seen clutches come out of several Evoras and even at 50,000 miles they had some life left. All were removed due to noise, a rattle or clatter at low revs caused by the sleeve not being square when bolted up on the early models.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If it goes (clutch) whether is at 10K or 50K miles...what's the cost to replace/service it?
It's an engine out job - prices have been quoted from $4,500 all the way to $8,000. Lotus quotes it as 30 hrs of labor. Parts aren't bad - the labor that hurts.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wonder if there is a DIY guide somewhere on doing the clutch......

LOL - only sort of kidding. I can't imagine the work as complicated - more tedious than anything as so many things have to come off. I'd be willing to do a lot of it myself (rear clam) and then have someone else just do the engine out/clutch part.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.