1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
If you remove the engine undertray there should be an adjuster on the left-hand lower wishbone mounting point for the handbrake cable.

Bye, Arno.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Arno said:
If you remove the engine undertray there should be an adjuster on the left-hand lower wishbone mounting point for the handbrake cable.

Bye, Arno.
Perfect! Thanks Arno!

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
goelise said:
How/Where do you tighten it?
The parking brake is supposed to be self adjusting. When you pull up on the brake lever, it applies the parking brake and takes up the slack when you release it - each application should be adjusting the brake as necessary.

Often, such self adjusters don't adjust properly because the person using the brake doesn't apply it hard enough. You should pull the parking brake on firmly (but not too hard) when you park it. Doing this each time will keep it properly adjusted. In your case, before I'd make any adjustments to the cables, I would sit in the car and apply the parking brake (pull up) hard, and then release it. Repeat many times, and it should self adjust. You should be able to pull the parking brake handle so that it only clicks 4 or 5 times (typically I don't know the exact number for the Elise). Or it may just be that the parking brake doesn't hold very tightly on a steep incline (which doesn't sound like it's your case) as disk brake parking brakes tend to not hold as well as drum brake parking brakes.

The adjustment of the cable should only be necessary as the car ages (a lot) and the parking brake cable stretches. Or it needs replacing. In all my years of working on cars, I've never had to actual adjust the parking cable of self adjusting parking brakes.

By the way, some cars (not the Elsie - usually cars with drum parking brakes) adjust the the parking brake by stopping hard while going backward. If you are a gentle driver, the rear brakes never get adjusted. I often take my cars to the top of a hill in my neighborhood, floor it in reverse, and slam on the brakes repeatedly. After a couple of stops, my brakes are adjusted.

Here's the information from the shop manual on how to adjust the parking brake (not it says it is self adjusting). Make sure that you get the levers adjusted to the right position if you do mess with the cable adjustments.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.