The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Evora GT in Formula Red, coordinated black+red interior, windowed engine hatch
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I played with this for quite a while this morning and still can't figure out the secret handshake.

Scenario: I unlock the driver door with a single press of the center fob button. I get in, leaving the driver door open or closed (doesn't matter). After some time someone wants to get in the passenger door, which is still locked.

1) I can reach across and pull the door handle. This works.

2) I can press the center fob button a single time. The passenger door unlocks.

3) I can press the door lock button on the dashboard. Nothing happens.

This last one is the thing that baffles me. There's no rational reason for that button to EVER "not work". If someone is already in the car, the game's up - they have physical access. Disabling that button makes no sense, ever. And the precedent exists: In every other car I've been in, regardless of make, model, style, nationality, the door button(s) always work. Even if there's no key in the ignition. Without exception. Every single time.

Yet I can't get it to work when the car is sitting still with the engine off. Immobilizer on, immobilizer off, key in the ignition or not, doesn't matter. The only time that button works consistently is when the engine is actually running.

I must be missing something. Lotus cannot possibly expect you to burn another battery cycle on the fob when you have a perfectly workable door lock button on the dashboard. What is the magic sequence that makes that door lock button work 100% of the time?

·
Premium Member
1,518 Posts
At least on the S1s, if you use the CDL button on the dash, the first press locks the doors, so you then have to press again to unlock the doors. Not very intuitive, and quite irritating when someone is standing outside yanking on the handle each time they hear a click. Might be the same on the S2s. I believe the button only works with the immobilizer disabled and the key in the On position, but engine shouldn't need to be running.

Us with earlier S1s have the door lock knobs that at least give a visual indicator whether the door is locked or unlocked.

·
Registered
2011 Evora NA 6sp
618 Posts
Stop people from using a rod n pushing the button?

·
Registered
2020 Evora GT in Formula Red, coordinated black+red interior, windowed engine hatch
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
At least on the S1s, if you use the CDL button on the dash, the first press locks the doors, so you then have to press again to unlock the doors. Not very intuitive, and quite irritating when someone is standing outside yanking on the handle each time they hear a click. Might be the same on the S2s. I believe the button only works with the immobilizer disabled and the key in the On position, but engine shouldn't need to be running.
I have pressed the door lock button multiple times, no effect. It's just disabled.

Stop people from using a rod n pushing the button?
Sure, I suppose. But let's be honest... if "they" want to get in, breaking a window would be much easier and faster. And I wonder how many thieves would know the door button is at the center of the dash? They're usually on the door handles these days. It's like how a manual transmission is a pretty good theft deterrent these days - most people don't know how to drive them. Likewise, most people probably wouldn't know, or think to look, that the door button is centered on the dash.

I just get the feeling that there's some "logic" to using this button that I haven't yet figured out. It would be so easy and logical to do it the obvious way (like every other car in existence), so there must be some intent behind whatever it actually IS doing. Another way of expressing that is: I'm not criticizing the car, I'm presuming it's MY problem and I just don't know what I'm doing yet.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
i noticed my button on the dash doesnt unlock the passenger door either. i havent tried it yet to see if it locks the doors though. maybe it just a lock button? not sure why that would be a thing, but it certainly sounds like lotus.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I do press my 400 dash lock button twice to open the passenger door, but I thought that was more of a personality quirk than anything. Not sure why it wouldn’t work for other people.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Never bothered to try the dash button twice. I’ll have to give it a shot. My next big thing to tackle is replacing the battery in the key fobs. Both of mine are bad (2017). Which is what led me to try the dash button for the first time

·
Premium Member
1,518 Posts
Just went out and tried this. I normally don't lock my car in my garage, so I just opened the door, sat, closed door. Then hit middle button on fob once to disable immobilizer, then pressed CDL button on dash and it locks both doors. Pressed again and it unlocked both doors. This is with the key out of the ignition. I can't imagine the S2 CDL has changed so much that the behavior was altered?

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just got back from a spirited drive. Man, I love driving the Lotus.

Um.. was I saying something? Oh yeah, door locks. Sorry, got distracted. :)

I found a new combination that seems to parallel yours: The door button works when both doors are closed. However, it does NOT work in the scenario I originally described: Driver's door open, but passenger wants in so you need to unlock their door. So far, the only non-fob ways I've found to unlock in that condition are to 1) reach across and pull on the passenger door handle, or 2) shut the driver's door and then press the door lock button.

Quite odd that the driver's door has to be closed for that button to work.

·
Premium Member
1,518 Posts
Oh yeah, I guess I didn't pick up on that part of your scenario. I believe it does check to make sure the doors are both closed before doing anything. According to verbiage in the owner's handbook, it seems like Lotus put the CDL button in there to help lock the doors once inside, to reduce the likelihood of car jacking. Not like a standard door lock/unlock switch found on 99.999% of other cars.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Yeah that’s such a transitory situation I can’t imagine ever needing to do that except in the first days of getting your car and you are familiarizing yourself with the cabin. When else would you have your door open and then discover you need to unlock the passenger door? If you know somebody is coming with you, two pushes on the fob. If you are picking somebody up, your door is closed, so two pushes on the CDL.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Apparently not transitory in my world. Happens all the time, from the very first day at the dealer.

A common reason to "have my door open" is that I'm sitting in the car for some reason but not running the engine (yet). So I swing (or leave) open the door to let some fresh air circulate. The door lets in more fresh air than the window, and I can close the door without power whereas the window would require powering up the car just to close it. The door is the logical choice.

But then the passenger side is nearest the house so it's the logical side for others to approach the car. If I'm coming home, sometimes my wife or son come out to meet me and try to open the door - but it's locked because I only pulled on the driver's inside door handle. Or I'm leaving and either I forgot something or they remembered something and bring it out to me... I thought I was the only one going so I only unlocked my door. Etc. etc. etc. Happens often enough for me to notice it, get annoyed, and mention it here.

I've just gotten in the habit of unlocking everything every time now, which I can live with. But it really begs the question of why make the door button behave like it does. Thinking it through, there's an inherent design challenge associated with the fact that it's a momentary switch. Every other door lock button I can think of is a rocker-style switch where pressing it one way definitively locks, and pressing it the other way definitively unlocks. A momentary switch lacks that clarity. It's not obvious what's going to happen when you push the button, especially when the two door locks are out of phase. I understand the "fashion design" aspect of wanting all the buttons to be the same, but I'd have thought about that a while longer before compromising like this. Two buttons would have solved it. Another option would be short and long press, like the Race mode button. In fact that's a pretty good solution, the more I think about it the better I like it. And its incremental cost would be precisely zero.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Haha, fair enough. If it’s a problem for you, then it’s a problem. Doesn’t matter how I use my car. It is worth noting, however that this is the first time I’ve seen this issue discussed in 8 years on the forum and 8 years of Evora ownership. And I feel like in that time that just about every other weird Lotus peculiarity has been identified. Let me put it this way—if Lotus came and allowed us only one locking issue to be fixed I imagine most of us would be happy to truss you up and muffle you so we got key fobs that operate from a distance, or trunk latches that regularly release from a simple single push on the fob rather than a switch that allows us to unlock the passenger door when the driver door is open. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, I admit it wouldn't be first on my list of changes either. But since I presumed it had to be ME that was the problem - so simple an operation that it had to be MY misunderstanding - I asked here hoping that someone would just say "Read the freaking manual, page 56" or something.

Funny you mention the key fob distance thing. I actually tested that again today. Mine unlocks the door(s) from at least 25 feet away, no problem. I was so far away I didn't think it would work, but the lights flashed and the mirrors opened up as I walked the rest of the way to the car. And I have zero problems unlocking the engine hatch with the fob, either. I guess each of us gets a random "annoyance" issue with the locks. I'll keep my particular set of lock challenges, thanks! :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,518 Posts
At least you guys get the Inteva latches. I haven't seen any reports of anyone getting stuck in their car with one of those yet.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Is that the one where the guy ground off the bolts from inside the car to open the door?

·
Premium Member
1,518 Posts
<- that'd be this guy. The early S1 latches (non-Inteva) can bind in a locked position, to where the actuator can't unlock it, and neither the inside nor the outside handles work to open the door. And unfortunately Lotus designed the door panels to not be removable unless the door is in the open position.

·
Illegal Alien
5,157 Posts
<- that'd be this guy. The early S1 latches (non-Inteva) can bind in a locked position, to where the actuator can't unlock it, and neither the inside nor the outside handles work to open the door. And unfortunately Lotus designed the door panels to not be removable unless the door is in the open position.
That's what the windows are for, emergency escape routes

·
Premium Member
1,518 Posts
That's what the windows are for, emergency escape routes
Yep, as long as the window regulator hasn't decided to die also. But I suppose there's always the option of breaking the glass in an emergency situation. Just seemed like poor planning on someone's part to not allow door shell interior access from the inside with the door closed.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That's one reason I'd always favor hand-cranked windows over electrics. If the electric system fails, or you're in water, you might not be able to open the windows. I mentioned that to my brother years ago. He was a police officer (retired now) and he laughed at me. Then, a few years later, he called and told me they had just finished fishing a couple of bodies out of a car that had plunged into water. The pressure prevented them from opening their doors, the water prevented them from operating the windows, and they panicked and drowned as the car filled with water.

I'm an Engineer and love advanced technology, but oftimes simpler is better. One of the reasons I like Lotus (though even they have electric windows). Do you want to trust your life to purely electric steering? I know enough about electronics to say absolutely not.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts