1 - 20 of 181 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,540 Posts
Nothing handles like a Lotus. Sledgehammer v surgical blade

·
Registered
55 Posts
Having driven the C8 and as a genuine Corvette lover. I think the Emira is going to offer a really compelling alternative.

The C8 nails all of the numbers on paper and has quite a few creature comforts, but it honestly feels a little unfocused when you drive it. It's like it wants to be a sports car, a super car, a luxury car, and economical/affordable all at once. So you kind of get a taste of all those elements but it's still somehow missing an identity.

I surmise that the Emira will be a bit slower, and not check as many boxes objectively speaking...but it will have much more of a spirit to it than the Corvette does.

·
Premium Member
1,615 Posts
I think it will be competitive to the C8 on smaller tracks and cost less to run. Certainly looks way cooler than the c8.

·
Registered
2005 Saffron Yellow Lotus Elise; 2008 Porsche Cayman S Porsche Design Edition 1: 2011 Audi S4 Manual
134 Posts
Highly likely that the Emira will be more fun to drive, but you guys are being total fanboys thinking it will outperform a C8.
How is "performance" defined? Sure, the C8 will monster the Emira in a straight line, bit the Emira will most likely leave the C8 in the dust once you get onto a nice, challenging twisty road that is fun to drive. The Emira's handling and feel will also be a step above the Corvette.

Since driving on the road isn't all about MAX POWER all the time, I'm thinking the Emira will probably "outperform" the C8 in the ways that actually matter on a day-to-day basis.

·
Premium Member
490 Posts
The Emira is only 300 pounds lighter and is down 100hp to the C8. The base model C8 now has magnetorheological dampers. Maybe the Emira will go faster on a tight autocross, but I don't see it going faster on a road course. Let's face it guys, the Emira is HEAVY by Lotus standards.

·
Registered
2005 Saffron Yellow Lotus Elise; 2008 Porsche Cayman S Porsche Design Edition 1: 2011 Audi S4 Manual
134 Posts
Maybe the Emira will go faster on a tight autocross, but I don't see it going faster on a road course. Let's face it guys, the Emira is HEAVY by Lotus standards.
Fair points, but MOST people (talking about the general population rather than Lotus enthusiasts) will never even consider taking their car onto a track. Lotus wants (and needs) to make a car that appeals to a much larger market so that it can be a viable (and profitable) car manufacturer. Yes, adding performance through lightness is a Lotus hallmark, but Lotus hasn't exactly set any sales records with their current models, no matter how much we love them.

REAL WORLD (i.e. - road) driving performance delivered at a reasonably affordable price is the key to making the Emira (and Lotus generally speaking) a serious alternative to other performance brands and cars like the Cayman, 911, C8, etc.

Back in the day, Porsche enthusiasts were in an uproar over the introduction of the huge, hideous Cayenne, but that SUV was a massive financial success that allowed the continued development of more dedicated, hardcore sports cars. The Emira may not set the timing screen on fire at the track, but it will probably deliver all the thrills people need at (reasonably) sane speeds on the road. I know I'd rather drive a slower vehicle that had fantastic handling quickly than an overpowered car where I could only access a fraction of the performance on road without risking immediate license suspension. Let's give the Emira a chance... 😉👍

·
Registered
'07 Lotus Elise - Chrome Orange | '07 997 Turbo | '05 C55 AMG | '93 RX-7 (FD)
3 Posts
Reading up on the engine options, it's interesting because I feel like the Emira is successfully able to target 2 types of drivers with this car.

The ones who are after driver enjoyment and don't care as much about 0-60 times will opt for the Supercharged V6 with Manual. It's a Lotus, so driving feel will be great regardless of power, the supercharged V6 isn't slow by any means, though it's not lightning fast either. Even if you want more performance out of the car, it's not hard to throw a smaller pulley into the setup to bump the power. It's going to be the last manual and ICE offering from Lotus, so that's going to be a 'special car' in the future for sure, even if the performance isn't ground breaking.

People chasing track times or pure speed will opt for the AMG Turbo I4 with DCT. Based on my understanding of that engine in the AMG A45S, the engine is severely underrated, and with just a chip tune and no supporting mods, it puts out close to 400 AWHP, in a RWD mid-engine setup, I'm sure it would put down even more power since there's less drivetrain loss. There's tons of aftermarket support for that engine from the AMG clubs, so I'm sure there's ways to make even more power, relatively easily.

·
Premium Member
7,540 Posts
will one be able to sell a Lotus for $20k more, 2 months later?
THose vette folks are real suckers for that stuff......

Reactions: brightoncorgi

·
Registered
134 Posts
Reading up on the engine options, it's interesting because I feel like the Emira is successfully able to target 2 types of drivers with this car.

The ones who are after driver enjoyment and don't care as much about 0-60 times will opt for the Supercharged V6 with Manual. It's a Lotus, so driving feel will be great regardless of power, the supercharged V6 isn't slow by any means, though it's not lightning fast either. Even if you want more performance out of the car, it's not hard to throw a smaller pulley into the setup to bump the power. It's going to be the last manual and ICE offering from Lotus, so that's going to be a 'special car' in the future for sure, even if the performance isn't ground breaking.

People chasing track times or pure speed will opt for the AMG Turbo I4 with DCT. Based on my understanding of that engine in the AMG A45S, the engine is severely underrated, and with just a chip tune and no supporting mods, it puts out close to 400 AWHP, in a RWD mid-engine setup, I'm sure it would put down even more power since there's less drivetrain loss. There's tons of aftermarket support for that engine from the AMG clubs, so I'm sure there's ways to make even more power, relatively easily.
Very well put. 100% agree. 👍

1 - 20 of 181 Posts