The Lotus Cars Community banner
61 - 80 of 194 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
I still think it’s going to be funny how many deposits get either refunded or kept when the true price comes out. I firmly predict the final number will be closer to six figures before any of these roll off the lot in the USA.
Well starting at $82k puts it more or less close to that in the first place. Unless you buy the base model with no options whatsoever, I think everyone expects these to be at least somewhere in the 90's, and slightly up above $100k fully loaded. Then there's sales tax on top of that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Does anyone on this forum give a sh!! about that. Lots of dumbasses out there stupid enough to even pay sticker for one.. (Probably don't get vaccinated either because its not proven safe yet. I simply think they're being pussies -sarcacstic aside based on your location. Please don't attack me with hairspray.)
Also, a Vette and a Lotus pull up to a fine restaurant with 1 spot out front. Lotus gets that spot and Vette is in the back with the other poseurs. Fact. I was a head doorman once and this did happen , even to that uber special 1967 whatever it was Vette. Dime a dozen. They don't have the cache or rarity .

If all you care about is winning in a street race, don't buy a Lotus. Buy a Redeye so you can run the C8 off the road. If all you understand is numbers......yup C8. At least it only took them 58yrs to learn where the motor goes.
Same crap can be said for the Miata and any other extraordinarily fun handling vehicle. The Lotus competes in a much smaller less powerful class. Rag on a Cayman in the same manner please. I couldn't give a rats ass about all the bloated mega HP machinery out on the track with me. I have driven a bunch of them and come away empty. No one rags on the Eliges this way. IMHO , I am having more fun than they can possibly imagine, often because they don't even fit in a Lotus. A few laps in a Lotus amazes most of them simply by the precision of the handling. American hardware has come a long way to be very honest and definitely runs with any BMW etc these days. . The back half of a C8 is a geometry minor's CF IMHO. The swollen kidneys on newer BMWs are nasty also. The best of the bunch IMO is the Camaro. That is some serious bang for the buck but still feels like its murdering the road v surgically tracing it.
A doorman has spoken. Head doorman. Vaccinated. Fact.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Owned C8 Z51 and sold it 33 days after 1200 miles of ownership. She sold for over 100k paid 78k, it’s truly a 0 to 60 under 3 second car. I have owned a evora and driven all versions of the car. The C8 is a big car we’re the Emira will be more toss-able, plus you can get a manual. The low revs of the vette engine tied to a DCT was an issue it truly needs a high rev motor. The other issue the C8 had was its long wheel base, the back felt floaty when you had the mag ride shocks in the softer settings, not very confident inspiring. I have a Z06 C8 on the wait list number 1 spot for 2.5 years now. I also have the lotus on the wait list number 2 at my preferred dealer. This could be the best of both worlds when they get released have manual lotus with a 8 to 9k rev z06 DCT.

Plus let’s be honest we are at the end of the ICE sports cars as we know it, in less than 8 years we will be paying a high premium to get these cars used. One last note; the C8 is the best Vette GM has made in modern times but I wish it had the looks of the Emira, the back of the vette is just off IMO. Can’t wait for them to be in my garage.

·
Registered
101 Posts
If we are talking about performance numbers we really have to discuss a comprehensive way to compare these vehicles. I think likely the fairest way to compare these vehicles is with the Car and Driver lightning lap.https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a23319884/lightning-lap-times-historical-data/

As you can see the Corvette has performed extremely well in this environment and the Lotus vehicles, while fast, are well off the pace of the top cars. The list of vehicles that will be faster than this Emira is going to be staggering. But I think we all can agree, Lotus has never been about chasing numbers. They are never going to be the fastest, never going to have the quickest lap times, never be the best performance bang for the buck, and won’t win awards like car of the year.

That is not the point, the point is that Lotus offers something only a very small number of people appreciate, and that is a true drivers car. Being one with the car and having an intimate relationship with it. If you are seeking driving engagement there is no better vehicle on the market right now and likely never will be again.

Those who get this will love the Lotus Emira. But if you are looking for anything else, please get something else as you will be happier. Whether that be a Vette, M3/4, Porsche Cayman/911, etc.

·
Registered
171 Posts
If we are talking about performance numbers we really have to discuss a comprehensive way to compare these vehicles. I think likely the fairest way to compare these vehicles is with the Car and Driver lightning lap.https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a23319884/lightning-lap-times-historical-data/

As you can see the Corvette has performed extremely well in this environment and the Lotus vehicles, while fast, are well off the pace of the top cars. The list of vehicles that will be faster than this Emira is going to be staggering. But I think we all can agree, Lotus has never been about chasing numbers. They are never going to be the fastest, never going to have the quickest lap times, never be the best performance bang for the buck, and won’t win awards like car of the year.

That is not the point, the point is that Lotus offers something only a very small number of people appreciate, and that is a true drivers car. Being one with the car and having an intimate relationship with it. If you are seeking driving engagement there is no better vehicle on the market right now and likely never will be again.

Those who get this will love the Lotus Emira. But if you are looking for anything else, please get something else as you will be happier. Whether that be a Vette, M3/4, Porsche Cayman/911, etc.
Already just based on looks alone, the Emira has something none of the others have; elegance. When Jenson Button said this car is going to surprise some supercars, that's saying something. This may not only be the best Lotus every produced, but the best ICE sports car ever produced, in the truest sense of the meaning of a sports car. It doesn't seek to do just one or two things better than others, it seeks to balance it all in a way that I suspect is going to be mesmerizing. When you see a Formula 1 world champion who has access to every car on the planet, including the 2000 hp Evija, and he has this big grin on his face as he's driving the Emira around... there's something about this car that's more than the sum of its parts. Can't wait to get my hands on one.

·
Registered
36 Posts
i think it's silly that so many are putting their misconceptions about the Emira so boldly in all these posts yet no one has actually driven one nor has there been any actual hard numbers or final specs released (let alone seen driven).

I think the car is beautiful only lamenting the fact that it won't be an open car (convertible).

In all honesty I think many will be surprised once the car finally does get test driven and seen in showrooms.
I vote that we stop speculating and condemning a car that no one really has actual facts.

·
Registered
6,970 Posts
The Lotus has the advantage of first of all, being a Lotus. Much higher class pedigree. After listening to what the designer and engineers for Lotus are saying, the Emira has a balanced, built-in downforce without requiring a rear spoiler…
While there is something to the Lotus pedigree thing, I believe it’s grossly overstated. Do a man on the street thing..,ask passers by if they’ve ever heard of Lotus and you’ll get a lot of blank stares. Many who’ve heard of it have done so in the context of playing GT4 on PlayStation. Most folks who know them from seeing them at Cars and Coffees over the last 15 years or so can’t recite anything about Lotus history or pedigree. The connection to Lotus’ legendary racing history is tenuous at best…Classic Team Lotus isn’t part of Lotus.

Don’t get me wrong, the list of cars I’ve owned in my signature suggests I’m enamored of driving cars whose nose badges are the same as those gracing Indy, Formula One, and road racing champions.

About the spoiler…it not needing one for downforce won’t prevent a bunch of picnic bench size wings showing up on Emiras within weeks of the first deliveries.

·
Registered
6,970 Posts
Already just based on looks alone, the Emira has something none of the others have; elegance. When Jenson Button said this car is going to surprise some supercars, that's saying something. This may not only be the best Lotus every produced, but the best ICE sports car ever produced, in the truest sense of the meaning of a sports car. It doesn't seek to do just one or two things better than others, it seeks to balance it all in a way that I suspect is going to be mesmerizing. When you see a Formula 1 world champion who has access to every car on the planet, including the 2000 hp Evija, and he has this big grin on his face as he's driving the Emira around... there's something about this car that's more than the sum of its parts. Can't wait to get my hands on one.
While he may really like the car…he WAS paid to say what he said.

·
Premium Member
7,583 Posts
Numbers aside, as an owner of an Elise, and 3 Evoras , I have received literally hundreds of compliments on everything from colors, to style, to stance , to sound......Never heard it called slow or overpriced etc. In fact, my first year of Elise ownershoip everyone thought it cost double its actual price
Everyone thought the nEvora was way more expensive than what I paid for any of them. I have said it a hundred times on this forum. 2010 recession and a horrible 2011 BDC showing pushed all the numbers buyers away. That is a majority of pseudo educated car owners unfortunately.
We have had more than 1 F1 driver that owns Lotus cars....Elise, Evora etc They have the fastest. To them on a public road, its about enjoyment. Mika Hakkinen did an awesome interview about this stuff years back. My favorite driver of the era...THAT PASS!!!

No doubt the Vette has the chops. It plays in a higher catagory. Think GT1 v GT2. Not sure why one would compare on ANYTHING but price.

·
Registered
171 Posts
While there is something to the Lotus pedigree thing, I believe it’s grossly overstated. Do a man on the street thing..,ask passers by if they’ve ever heard of Lotus and you’ll get a lot of blank stares. Many who’ve heard of it have done so in the context of playing GT4 on PlayStation. Most folks who know them from seeing them at Cars and Coffees over the last 15 years or so can’t recite anything about Lotus history or pedigree. The connection to Lotus’ legendary racing history is tenuous at best…Classic Team Lotus isn’t part of Lotus.

Don’t get me wrong, the list of cars I’ve owned in my signature suggests I’m enamored of driving cars whose nose badges are the same as those gracing Indy, Formula One, and road racing champions.

About the spoiler…it not needing one for downforce won’t prevent a bunch of picnic bench size wings showing up on Emiras within weeks of the first deliveries.
Well isn't that the point of showing the legacy history? Educating people? I drive an Alfa Romeo Giulia as my daily driver. I get people coming up to me when I gas up or stop someplace and say "That's a beautiful car. What's an Alfa Romero?" I politely correct them: "It's Romeo" and then tell them about the brand and the car. You can be sure that every one of us who will be driving these things around will be getting a lot of attention and inquiries, and I for one will cheerfully and enthusiastically tell them about Lotus and its storied history. Since Lotus has already sold out its first production run, there's obviously plenty of interest already among those who know what Lotus is. It may be more than you realize. For the rest, there's going to be plenty of opportunity here to promote and support the brand and introduce it to people.

While he may really like the car…he WAS paid to say what he said.
That doesn't mean his reactions weren't genuine. I don't know why you seem to be so focused on discouraging enthusiasm for this new effort. I would think someone who's been with this forum as long as you have would be excited about the car and how well it's being received. Are you not buying one?

As far as people putting wings on one, Jenson Button's comments about the downforce he was experiencing while driving the car were very interesting. If anybody knows what that feels like, it would be him. He wasn't saying it like a marketing rep describing the features of the car, he was reacting to what he was experiencing and feeling while driving it in the wet. Given good weather and track conditions, I'm sure we'll see more videos as these get closer to production, and I'm looking forward to seeing what this car can really do.

·
Registered
54 Posts
C8 Z06 sound teaser posted by Chevy this morning. This could make the comparo more interesting. I expect it to be ~$88k or +$25k over the Stingray like prior gens given it's expected to have less HP than the C7 Z06 and more variants such as E-Ray, ZR1, Zora crowding the price/performance tiers.

·
Registered
2007 Phantom Black Exige S
253 Posts
Lots of speculation on the Z06, but I think the clip pretty much corroborates speculation about the FPC. Still scratching my head with GMs decision on that one as well as wondering if it will be augmented with battery given the likely loss of torque and weight gain.

In terms of Emira vs C8, I don't think the initial release of Emira will be a competitor at the track vs the base C8, but as others have stated, any comparisons are pretty much meaningless at this point given what we know about the Emira. It's a much better looking car that hopefully has stellar dynamics, road feel, and exclusivity. Rumors of a trunk that can fit a (one) golf bag too, but very odd Lotus hasn't shown us. The interior looks to be worlds ahead of the Evora and Exige/Elise, but the C8's interior is quite nice as well.

·
Premium Member
7,583 Posts
Well isn't that the point of showing the legacy history? Educating people? I drive an Alfa Romeo Giulia as my daily driver. I get people coming up to me when I gas up or stop someplace and say "That's a beautiful car. What's an Alfa Romero?" I politely correct them: "It's Romeo" and then tell them about the brand and the car. You can be sure that every one of us who will be driving these things around will be getting a lot of attention and inquiries, and I for one will cheerfully and enthusiastically tell them about Lotus and its storied history. Since Lotus has already sold out its first production run, there's obviously plenty of interest already among those who know what Lotus is. It may be more than you realize. For the rest, there's going to be plenty of opportunity here to promote and support the brand and introduce it to people.

That doesn't mean his reactions weren't genuine. I don't know why you seem to be so focused on discouraging enthusiasm for this new effort. I would think someone who's been with this forum as long as you have would be excited about the car and how well it's being received. Are you not buying one?

As far as people putting wings on one, Jenson Button's comments about the downforce he was experiencing while driving the car were very interesting. If anybody knows what that feels like, it would be him. He wasn't saying it like a marketing rep describing the features of the car, he was reacting to what he was experiencing and feeling while driving it in the wet. Given good weather and track conditions, I'm sure we'll see more videos as these get closer to production, and I'm looking forward to seeing what this car can really do.
Stelvio owner here. Had high hopes for a 4C but was disappointed in the driving dynamics.

·
Premium Member
7,583 Posts
C8 Z06 sound teaser posted by Chevy this morning. This could make the comparo more interesting. I expect it to be ~$88k or +$25k over the Stingray like prior gens given it's expected to have less HP than the C7 Z06 and more variants such as E-Ray, ZR1, Zora crowding the price/performance tiers.

Really don't care if it sounds like a 333SP...good luck beating that sound! The GTLM car downshifting got old quick last Saturday as they raced against themselves. Pathetic only 3 cars in GTLM cuz GM basically sandbagged their way in and bought a championship against no one ....good advertising fodder for the typically unknowing.

Reactions: gfelber

·
Registered
1994 Supra TT 6 speed MKIV
60 Posts
Buddy of mine has been test-driving the C8/Z06 at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway "road course" and breaking the rear glass because the body is twisting with the higher torque...

Kevin
What's up Kevin. The rear glass broke during pre-production testing as well and they still haven't fixed it. This is concerning.

Yo Arnold! Man we've had similar taste in cars this past decade haha. Yeah, the ultimate debate may boil down to Emira vs C8 Z06. I'm warming up to potential 1st year model growing pains and limited dealer network w/ the Emira. But the Z06's such large displacement for being a flat-plane crank could also be a concern. When Z06 specs and hands on impressions on both cars start rolling out (and me eventually test driving at least the Emira next year if not both cars) the choice should become clearer.

My dad is pretty set on Emira over C8 and I'm more hyped for the Emira--still taking it in but we'll see how that ages. Both of us are putting down reservation deposits on Emiras, though. How set are you on this?
Haha, great minds think alike. Next year/2023 would be an ideal time if both are available to test out. Personally, I'm not going to be first in line for the Emira. New car, new factory, new tooling, ADM and all the dealer/seller games will push me to wait until the timing is ideal. I don't want to be the first person that has to have this car. I'll leave it up to the youtubers to discover new issues and quirks with this car.

Very nice, that's awesome that both of you guys are going to pair up on the Emira. You've made the right decision and as much as I appreciated what Chevy did with the new Corvette, I think you'll have a more proper sports car with the Emira. With the limited details that have been disclosed, it checks all of my boxes in what I want in a sports car. It's another flavor to add that would sit very well among the stable. Inline 6, Flat Six, V6, FR, RR, MR, Supra, Carrera, Emira.

·
Registered
6,970 Posts
Are you not buying one?
IF I were to buy one it will be after the first year bugs are worked out, and even then, the lack of a reliable, accessible dealer network is a deal breaker for me. I'd never pay that kind of money for a car I have to drive (or truck) 3+ hours one way to the nearest dealer for warranty work.

Geely isn't talking at all about what it's doing with the dealer network. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt they have a plan...maybe tag team with Volvo dealers? But I think they are missing an opportunity for an even bigger splash by not sharing what they are going to do to shore up their weakest link: 37 dealers in 50 state.

·
Registered
2007 Phantom Black Exige S
253 Posts
Really don't care if it sounds like a 333SP...good luck beating that sound! The GTLM car downshifting got old quick last Saturday as they raced against themselves. Pathetic only 3 cars in GTLM cuz GM basically sandbagged their way in and bought a championship against no one ....good advertising fodder for the typically unknowing.
Yes and has been happening forever. Remember when GM cried about the Oreca Vipers cleaning their clocks at LeMans and convinced the FIA to let them build a 427 (actually 428) CI race car before actually producing/homologating one?

61 - 80 of 194 Posts