The Lotus Cars Community banner
81 - 100 of 194 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
C8 Z06 sound teaser posted by Chevy this morning. This could make the comparo more interesting. I expect it to be ~$88k or +$25k over the Stingray like prior gens given it's expected to have less HP than the C7 Z06 and more variants such as E-Ray, ZR1, Zora crowding the price/performance tiers.

This Emira and future versions are going to need to be one hell of a car to drive! Because on sound alone I'm absolutely sold on the Z06 and have been waiting patiently for more info. For me it will come down to a C8 Z06 or some future hardcore version of the Emira.

·
Registered
170 Posts
There's no way the timing of revealing that quickie little Z06 clip is a coincidence. They're watching the Emira VERY closely.

·
Registered
2007 Phantom Black Exige S
253 Posts
There's no way the timing of revealing that quickie little Z06 clip is a coincidence. They're watching the Emira VERY closely.
Why wouldn't it be a coincidence? In January it was reported that GM would reveal the Z06 this July- I think this is just to pacify those who were waiting given the delays. Moreover, I seriously doubt GM cares much about the Emira given the market segment and production numbers (post-Covid).

·
Registered
170 Posts
Why wouldn't it be a coincidence? In January it was reported that GM would reveal the Z06 this July- I think this is just to pacify those who were waiting given the delays. Moreover, I seriously doubt GM cares much about the Emira given the market segment and production numbers (post-Covid).
Of course they care about it; it's a mid-engine car in the same price range, and that means it could pull customers away from the C8. Never underestimate how competitive car companies are with each other.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Of course they care about it; it's a mid-engine car in the same price range, and that means it could pull customers away from the C8. Never underestimate how competitive car companies are with each other.
I think Chevy cares about the Emira the same way that their Silverado team cares about what the next Nissan Titan will be, mean he's they care, but not a lot. The Vette sells what like 20x more than Lotus, or is it more than that. Either way, I doubt they rushed out this clip just because Lotus has its 15 minutes of fame this summer.

·
Registered
2007 Phantom Black Exige S
253 Posts
I think Chevy cares about the Emira the same way that their Silverado team cares about what the next Nissan Titan will be, mean he's they care, but not a lot. The Vette sells what like 20x more than Lotus, or is it more than that. Either way, I doubt they rushed out this clip just because Lotus has its 15 minutes of fame this summer.
Pretty much summarizes my thoughts exactly. Note the use of "much" in my original reply.

If anything, GM would be more interested in the Cayman/Boxster segment, but probably not overly concerned either. There were roughly 5,000 718s sold in the US alone during CY 2018. Compare that to Lotus' initial estimate of 5K annual global production for the Emira.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Yea I don't think chevy cares at all about Lotus unfortunately.. after hearing that Z06...wow.. I'll still do the Emira, but maybe in 4 years get a Z06 to add

Reactions: vcappp

·
Registered
144 Posts
Yea I don't think chevy cares at all about Lotus unfortunately.. after hearing that Z06...wow.. I'll still do the Emira, but maybe in 4 years get a Z06 to add
I remember when a car mag directly compared the Elise to the C6 Corvette at the time. I think the C7 and C8 have long outgrown the Lotus competitor of their generations.

I wouldn't cross shop the two personally. In fact, I had a C7 and upon picking up my supercharged Elise grew quickly bored of the Vette. It got sold and replaced with the 4C which I enjoy far more.

The Corvette is just a big car and far more car than is really enjoyable on the streets in my opinion.

·
Registered
2022 Lotus Emira
17 Posts
Lotus is not on Chevy's radar. Good luck getting a Z06, I wanted to put a deposit on one over a year ago and even then the dealers wanted markup. It's been teased ever since the launch of the C8 with the C8.R.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I am on the Z06 wait list & will be in the first round once released to the public, sometime around this time next year. I been on the list well over 2 plus years. The Z will be extremely fast car that will be in the super car territory of performance with 0 to 60 in the mid 2 range if she can get traction. GM is testing the Z06 against the new GT2 RS, Turbo 911 & a Ferrari, these are its targets, expect performance that competes against 300k plus cars all day long. If C8 Z51 is going for 109k on the pre-owned market wow the Z06 will be off the charts, I should have put my name on two of them. The Emira is not after that market segmentation and will be an incredible sports car, I look forward to having a manual Emira version.

·
Vendor
3,466 Posts
I am on the Z06 wait list & will be in the first round once released to the public, sometime around this time next year. I been on the list well over 2 plus years. The Z will be extremely fast car that will be in the super car territory of performance with 0 to 60 in the mid 2 range if she can get traction. GM is testing the Z06 against the new GT2 RS, Turbo 911 & a Ferrari, these are its targets, expect performance that competes against 300k plus cars all day long. If C8 Z51 is going for 109k on the pre-owned market wow the Z06 will be off the charts, I should have put my name on two of them. The Emira is not after that market segmentation and will be an incredible sports car, I look forward to having a manual Emira version.
I am right there with you, however it bears remembering that GM will sell their soul to save a nickel. If it was a choice between destroying the competition vs getting mildly beaten, but they could save $5, GM would take the $5 every time. Hopefully it will be a great car.

·
Vendor
3,466 Posts
This is correct except I think you are OVERSTATING how much GM cares about the Emira!:ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
7,583 Posts
I sure don't give ash!! about the Vette..don't care if its got 2000HP, rear end is fugly. The list of old long whited haired, gold chain dudes with pensions to burn is endless. The C7 ZO6 was NOT fun to drive IMHO. Overpowered, unruly beast...terrifying in the rain. No thanks, a man's got to know his limitations

• Haha
Reactions: brightoncorgi

·
Registered
170 Posts
You guys are still thinking in terms of ICE. The future is electric, and Lotus has already made a statement with the Evija. Yes it's expensive, but I think it's more of a statement car than a making money car. They now have deep pocket backing, and are making another statement with the Emira in an important segment of the market. We don't know what the electric versions are or can do, but they're already on the drawing board. There are already videos now on YouTube comparing the Emira and C8, so don't under-estimate the mindset of design and development teams. They watch what other companies do, not that I think there's really a comparison at this point (I like the Emira much better, even though the C8 has more power) but the electric future is going to be a different animal. How many different versions of electric motors at each wheel can there be? How many different battery technologies and chassis placement will there be? The differentiation is going to come down to style and handling, and in that area, Lotus has GM beat already.

All companies are looking 5-10 years ahead right now, and that landscape isn't just a slightly different version of today, it's a completely new world. I for one am not looking forward to it, which is one of the reasons why I'm getting an Emira. It's the last best slice of this era, the era I was born and grew up in. The future looks a lot like Blade Runner to me; monstrous, soulless, global mega-corporations, too too many people. It looks like a future where man has replaced nature with his own image, but it will be cold and artificial with the sound of electric whirring and the smell of ozone as you sit in your electric cocoon with your 3d headset on, watching whatever. Will anybody actually be driving anything in the future? Will the system even allow it? At least not in the big cities anyways. Maybe the future that Isaac Asimov, Arthur C. Clarke, and Robert Heinlein painted weren't so far off after all.

I'll be fully retired by the time the Emira is delivered, and I plan on driving mine on mountain roads and through the beautiful areas of nature in my state. With the sound of the V6 and the 6 speed manual trans, it will be glorious.

·
Premium Member
1,944 Posts
The future looks a lot like Blade Runner to me; monstrous, soulless, global mega-corporations, too too many people. It looks like a future where man has replaced nature with his own image, but it will be cold and artificial with the sound of electric whirring and the smell of ozone as you sit in your electric cocoon with your 3d headset on, watching whatever. Will anybody actually be driving anything in the future? Will the system even allow it? At least not in the big cities anyways. Maybe the future that Isaac Asimov, Arthur C. Clarke, and Robert Heinlein painted weren't so far off after all.
This. I fully expect to participate in the Mad Max version of the future once this whole electrification thing runs its course.

·
Registered
68 Posts
C8 is a mid-engine car. Not a modified model of C7. C7 is a front-engine car. Two diferrent cars that only sharing the brand name. C8 has a different handling chracteristics than C7. Many of reviewers are saying C8 handling is way better/precise and not even comparable to the old C7’s bad handling. Why still mentioning C7 when talking about C8 ? Not fair.

·
Vendor
3,466 Posts
This. I fully expect to participate in the Mad Max version of the future once this whole electrification thing runs its course.
MadMax/BraveNewWorld/BladeRunner/TheyLive; You know; optimistic and happy! :p

·
Registered
518 Posts
I am right there with you, however it bears remembering that GM will sell their soul to save a nickel. If it was a choice between destroying the competition vs getting mildly beaten, but they could save $5, GM would take the $5 every time. Hopefully it will be a great car.
I would say that Lotus is in the same boat as GM when it came to saving money. My Evora was a Frankenstein automobile when looking at all the parts that made it into a whole car. I am not complaining but neither of these two companies are Porsche, which builds an incredible machines.

I have owned a lot of sports cars and IMO the C8 Z51 is a very capable sports car. When comparing the C8 quality to the past versions the C8 is the best GM has ever produced. The C8 looks are subjective compared to the Lotus Emira that looks spot on IMO just gorgeous. I have the same arguments on the corvette forum when the C8 crowd say it’s better than McLaren, Porsche & Ferrari and all I say to them they obviously have never driven one.

We are at the end of sports cars as we know it, to me I will enjoy them both for what unique experiences they will give me during my ownership.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I had two C7's and a c6 Z06.. I liked em.. liked my exige also.. if the C8 came in a manual I would honestly get one. I may try and get the emira and the Z06 after all the hype dies down in a few years , but keep the Emira haha

·
Vendor
3,466 Posts
I could happily own a C8Z and own an Emira. They are different and designed to be so. That said, not getting rid of an Elise or Exige over it. Elise and Exige are delightfully analog. When I hear "Red Barchetta" while blasting down a country road in our Bordeux Elise with TVS400 and Penskes, it always puts a smile on my face while I enjoy the inside joke.

We will have to see how the two engine and transmissions are implemented in the Emira. Potential for greatness from the 4cyl but could be terribly compromised as well.

81 - 100 of 194 Posts