The Lotus Cars Community banner
101 - 120 of 194 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
...Like I said, the Emira will likely be more fun to drive, but won’t beat the C8 in pure performance.
Only if you measure "performance" in straight line speed.
How about if you measure performance by cornering force or lap times?

Haven't seen any numbers published for Emira but the (comparable) 2020 Evora tested by C&D delivered 1.04g.

MT test of C8 (Z51 pkg) was also 1.04g.

So we'll have to wait for a real world quantified test of the Emira to confirm, but given the C8 advantage in HP and acceleration I'd say it's likely to be faster around a racetrack, and many back roads.

However that doesn't mean the Emira will be any less fun to drive. Car mag quote shamelessy lifted from some other post somewhere:

"Knowing that a car can pull 0.95g on a skidpad is like knowing a woman wears a size 34C bra. Each figure reveals one significant and specific characteristic, but doesn't say anything about the overall, uh, handling experience. "

·
Premium Member
7,583 Posts
Handling is everything. More than a handful is a waste.....

·
Registered
58 Posts
How about if you measure performance by cornering force or lap times?

Haven't seen any numbers published for Emira but the (comparable) 2020 Evora tested by C&D delivered 1.04g.

MT test of C8 (Z51 pkg) was also 1.04g.

So we'll have to wait for a real world quantified test of the Emira to confirm, but given the C8 advantage in HP and acceleration I'd say it's likely to be faster around a racetrack.

However that doesn't mean the Emira will be any less fun to drive. Car mag quote shamelessy lifted from some other post somewhere:

"Knowing that a car can pull 0.95g on a skidpad is like knowing a woman wears a size 34C bra. Each figure reveals one significant and specific characteristic, but doesn't say anything about the overall, uh, handling experience. "
Then there is the upcoming Z06 and I believe the previous Z06 was like 1.19gs. Lotus stands no chance competing with the Vette from face value performance numbers. To be honest we still to this day don't even know how capable the Evora Gt430 was which was the best iteration. It's all smoke and mirrors and a complete mystery and major effing L from Lotus to not provide much of anything from relevant benchmarks aside from what it did at Hethel.

I know it's a "driver's car" but damn the overall performance is a mystery and it's probably not better than a majority of cars on the road on a pure numbers basis. But, I won't deny that steering feedback is excellent....

Hard to sell a sports car with no real numbers to justify the purchase...

·
Premium Member
7,583 Posts
Sound is , of course, nice but I won't base my motor decision on sound.....

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
If everything else was equal - HP, torque curve, redline, responsiveness, durability, size/weight/packaging, etc - then sound could be the deciding factor.

But then everything else is never equal, very often the best sounding engines are superior in many of the other categories as well.

And if every engine left the factory sounding awesome, the aftermarket exhaust mfgrs would have less business.

Reactions: brgelise

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
Regarding the C8 Z06, GM appears to be on a full court press effort to prepare the battlefield for introduction.

So happy to see the executive suite finally greenlighted fulfillment of ZAD's dream and built the mid-engine C8 Corvette. That was a bold move and is paying dividends. Now they appear to be taking the next logical step, but it may be a PR minefield in some sense.

I'm talking about the anticipated Z06 DOHC flat plane crank (FPC) engine. Putting aside the '90's brief production run ZR1 DOHC LT5 designed by Lotus, this is new territory.

I don't think Corvette traditionalists will be bothered by the DOHC aspect, actually some owners don't know or care anything about their valve trains. Dual Corvette/Lotus owners (like myself) will rejoice with this step forward in technology, and no doubt the traditionalists will find the free-revving performance refreshing once they try it.

But the jury is out (actually they haven't even heard the evidence yet) on the FPC aspect. Current owners (again, like me) are accustomed to our smooth burbly rumbling cross plane crank LS/LT small block Chevy engines. Some Z06 buyers may be puzzled a bit by the raspy sound, often described as a blare, but they'll get over it with a few high RPM open road blasts.

However I think they'll be positively taken aback by the vibration, particularly at idle. Took me a while to get used to in the V8 Esprit, although I've come around to appreciating and actually liking it (feel that powah 😀), with the rev-happy, turbo-lunging Type 918 tucked behind the seats. But I expect there will be some unnecessary Z06 service appts being made for the symptom "engine running rough."

To mitigate this it looks like GM is trying to educate (translation: subliminally brainwash) their prospective buyers.

"The streets will never sound the same." Indeed they won't, at least not to mainline Corvette fans.

The video starts off: "Crank it up."
Translation: "[Flat Plane] Crank it up."

There have been several delays in Z06 release timeline, which isn't unusual for any new model. But one possible explanation is GM is working on some technical solution to mitigate the FPC vibration, and having challenges doing so.

Of course I could be wrong about all this, only time will tell.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Seems the price will be quite similar so I wonder about performance, car feel, etc.
What do you guys think?
As an owner of a C8 (and an F430) the C8 drives like a great tourer. It sounds anemic. It is very comfortable. I recently took it for a 6 hour run and it was like driving a Tesla, quiet, wife asleep in the passenger seat. On twisties it stays planted much like the Ferrari though I am more comfortable taking curves in the Vette, though nowhere near as much fun. I am hoping the Emira on order drives more like the Ferrari or my previous Lotus SE. I did post a comparison of the C8 and Emira in a Corvette C8 group. most bashed the Emira for lack of HP and 0-60 speed. Grief! if I wanted a hot rod I would have bought a Hellcat.

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
For me the Emira beats the C8 for the simple fact of no manual. Add in I prefer the looks of the Lotus, plus it has hydraulic steering. Not everyone cares about 0-60 times or track times. Who are we all racing anyway? I want driving nirvana not brute force.
Soooo…you didn’t watch the video.

·
Registered
54 Posts
For those who own or have driven the C8: If you were to place other well known sports cars on a spectrum of driving feel/visceral engagement/rawness, please list the C8 among those other cars in ranked order. Think of the spectrum spanning from grand tourer on one end to racecar on the opposite end.

·
Premium Member
7,583 Posts
Park my Maserati GTS next to a C8. Play games with the the throttle.. My GTS is the supermodel you dream of pillaging. The C8 is the hot whors everyone else has nailed.

·
Registered
2007 Phantom Black Exige S
253 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
Yep, pretty salty. But considering there is probably years of pent up demand from Brits that have wanted a Corvette since...well, forever...and all that time they could have had their choice of Lotus (which some probably did), I'll be surprised if GM doesn't sell more than a few C8's. No doubt their market researchers and financial analysts have crunched the numbers.

Wonder if Chevy is rethinking the expiration of this sponsorship deal .

·
Premium Member
2005 Elise LSS Saffron Yellow
939 Posts
Ouch, $113,250 USD for a 3LT trim, carbon flash package that you can get Stateside for $76K...when you can get them that is. Hope that's with VAT.
Car prices in UK have been high relative to everywhere else for decades. I think at this late date it's just old fashioned gouging.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I found this quote interesting from Automotive News Europe:

Auto News Europe-Emira.png

I know some don't think Chevy cares about the Emira, but then again, maybe they should. Lotus certainly isn't ignoring them, and if it were me, I wouldn't discount that.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I found this quote interesting from Automotive News Europe:

I know some don't think Chevy cares about the Emira, but then again, maybe they should. Lotus certainly isn't ignoring them, and if it were me, I wouldn't discount that.
Not really, Corvettes sale in huge volumes. Even now they can't make enough of them for the demand, there's people talking about they've had a Z06 reserved for multiple years. Why would Chevy care about a company that's hoping to move 5k+ units a year?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Not really, Corvettes sale in huge volumes. Even now they can't make enough of them for the demand, there's people talking about they've had a Z06 reserved for multiple years. Why would Chevy care about a company that's hoping to move 5k+ units a year?
There's more to image than huge sales volumes. Chevy the company might not care, but the Corvette group at Chevy may have a different view of things. These guys are all competitive, so don't think they haven't looked at the Emira. Are they worried about sales volume? No. Are they interested in the image competition? Of course. They're designers.

101 - 120 of 194 Posts