The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the entire time i've been waiting for the Elise, i haven't been able to help but think of other alternatives. At this point i am pretty much torn between an Elise+ a $30-40k more practical car or just going with an SRT-10 Viper. The Viper is quite a bit faster in every situation. However i really do love the entire concept of the Elise and generally like small, go-kart like cars.

Either way this car will be tracked and autocrossed quite a bit. So, one of the deciding factors in my decision is how Lotus is going to treat those of us who really use our cars as expected.

With the Viper, my warranty mechanic has said that he will warranty the car no matter what and even will warranty it with mods as long as he installs them. He is the best Viper mechanic around.

How do you guys think Lotus will treat us? I really don't want to be in a situation where i have to hide my track use from the dealer and have a major problem if something goes wrong.

-Steve

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jon said:
Offroad: I have a viper GTS. Who is your viper mechanic?
i just blanked out on the guy's name. sorry. i have it written somewhere, i'll look for it.

btw i had a 97 GTS, cool car. From what i've heard the SRT-10 is much improved in every way.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Offroad: I haven't driven an SRT-10, but it supposedly much better drivingwise than the GTS. Doesn't look as good as the GTS though.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jon said:
Offroad: I haven't driven an SRT-10, but it supposedly much better drivingwise than the GTS. Doesn't look as good as the GTS though.
sometimes i agree and sometimes i don't. It is definitely a bit more understated. I guess which one i prefer depends on my mood. The SRT10 interior is definitely hands down better IMHO.

If i go with the SRT-10 i'm going to get the Mamba edition. The white is SWEET.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I really don't know how any of us could expect Lotus to warranty serious track use, it is very hard on brakes, gearbox, engine, etc. An occasional "driving school" on a track maybe. Autocross is tough also, how much is the question. Look at LCU's position on this, yes it is a performance car but there is a matter of degree here. Let's face it some people will thrash the heck out of their cars and expect the manufacturer to make it good. Where do you draw the line, what warranty claims do you honor and which ones do you reject. It's not an easy straight forward issue. Don't get me wrong I would love LCU to cover any and everything, but I don't think it will make much business sense.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I would expect Lotus to cover anything that isn't clearly due to wear & tear from competition use. I wouldn't expect them to cover "premature" clutch wear, or grooves in the fender liners because the oversized race tires were rubbing.

I don't really think that autocrossing is any harder on the car than the type of spirited road driving that the car is designed for. I bet a run through Deal's Gap or Stelvio would be tougher on the car than a whole bunch of autocrosses....

I think the issue is whether the failure is due to a defect or abuse. Apparently some manufacturers have taken the position that if they can document that the car was autocrossed, then they will automatically deny any warranty claim on that car, even if the problem is not related. If the owner decides to take them to court, they will use the autocross results to prove that the car was "abused".

While it would be wonderful to have the manufacturer warranty the engine if it blows up from over-revving in a downshift going into the Andretti hairpin at Laguna Seca, I would settle for them not voiding the warranty on my A/C because I went to an autocross...

And yes, there are some sneaky bastards out there who will damage their car in competition, then push/tow it to a nearby public road and then try to claim it on their warranty or insurance...and that is probably why some manufacturers and insurance companies will instantly drop you if they fid out you ever "raced" the car.

·
Registered
259 Posts
offroadr35 said:
sometimes i agree and sometimes i don't. It is definitely a bit more understated. I guess which one i prefer depends on my mood. The SRT10 interior is definitely hands down better IMHO.

If i go with the SRT-10 i'm going to get the Mamba edition. The white is SWEET.

Can't argue with you there. I always wanted a white GTS. Mine is red with white stripes.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i also would never expect them to cover anything that wears excessivly during track use like brakes, pads, clutch, etc.

However, if a car is just being used for occasionally track days, the engine shouldn't blow, bits shouldn't break off, etc. In my mind this is the area in which the Z06 and the Viper have the best advantage. GM and Chrysler will basically warranty ANYTHING.

·
Registered
426 Posts
offroadr35

If you are torn between both cars, how about digging through some articles and seeing which car the press liked better? It may make your decision easier.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
When the new viper came out I was a little underwhelmed by its looks as well. I preferred the GTS. After seeing a new srt-10 in person I was amazed. Park Place had a silver one and it was beautiful. The interior is MUCH nicer than the old ones. Photos didn't really do the car justice. It looks much better in person.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Jon said:
Offroad: I see you post on 6speedonline.com

I look around there alot, don't post though.
yeah it's a good forum. We have a GT2. I used to be on a couple other P-car forums but 6speed is my favorite so i stick there now.

·
Registered
259 Posts
offroadr35 said:
yeah it's a good forum. We have a GT2. I used to be on a couple other P-car forums but 6speed is my favorite so i stick there now.
GT2...amazing! Probably outrun my viper.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts