The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Canada Gazette – Regulations Amending the Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations (Bumpers)

Government of Canada to harmonize bumper standard - April 2, 2008

Watch out, Canada alters bumper standards - Autoblog

My questions are:
1) Will 2010 Elises be universal for US and Canada? (or the dealers have some way to make the Canadian Cars "unique" and non-importable?)
2) Will this relaxation affects prior vehicles (non-admissible by RIV list)? i.e. older elises or etc because of bumper/light assembly differences. or there are more 'differences' in the Federal elises that make it non-admissible?

If so, how will this impact the market here?

We see the dealers read these pages, what are your positions?

·
Registered
431 Posts
All I can tell you is that the VIN's on Canadian Lotus are different than VIN's on U.S. Lotus and your RIV will simply deny any registration of U.S. Lotus cars. I don't believe that's going to change (so I've been told) :shrug:

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
The canadian Elises don't have bumpers. That's not why the us cars are not allowed.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I tried to get a straight answer out of Transport Canada on this issue, but of course failed miserably.

Their initial response ignored my question and just referred me to the the "non compliant" status of the Elise under present legislation.

I tried again, referring to the points raised above, but was ignored...

So I have since located a 2006 Chrome Orange Elise in Montreal, which I hope to collect in the next week or two.

·
Registered
4 Posts
From one of the links:

"This amendment will have a positive impact on international trade, as the Canadian requirement for bumper testing is the same as the requirements in Europe and the United States. "

"This amendment, for the first time in 26 years, eliminates the barrier to the importation of passenger cars, which do not have bumpers that meet the Canadian bumper safety standard."

I remember a Canadian review of the Elise cited the premium Canadians pay (vs US) was due to different bumper standards. Why would the Elise continue to be excluded?

Same run around as the poster above - RIV stated the list was updated July 8th - the Elise is still inadmissable and refered me to Transport Canada - they were not able to provide additional details why the Elise is still inadmissable.

I have a theory - Lotus might not not be proactive in providing the goverment information to TC if the US spec Elise conforms to the 42 TC standards - lack of info deems it inadmissable. They (Lotus) may want to preserve the Canadian Elise (healthly prices compared to the US) market.

I did get an email address for a formal request that I will be submitting:

Email: [email protected]
Attn: Compliance Unit

I would like clarification if the Lotus Elise is deemed inadmissable from the US due to non-conformance to one or more of the 42 Transport Canada Standards or if it's defaulted inadmissable due to lack of information from Lotus?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well folks it appears TC claims it has somthing to do with the front lighting not the bumpers - no more details provided.

Apparently the US made an exeption that TC is not willing to accept. Still sounds suspect....

I only started looking into to this today and after the RiV & TC run around I have an answer....

For more information on this specific issue, you would need to contact Pierre Tremblay, Chief Import and Audit Inspection at 613- 998-2225.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've given up on importing an Elise - It's not TC or RIV who is at fault - Lotus is "manipulating" TC compliance - protecting the Canadian market (profit margins) given the stronger economy - why not they have a good thing going compared to south of the border...

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Well folks it appears TC claims it has something to do with the front lighting not the bumpers - no more details provided.
The US Elise originally had two exemptions. We obviously had not bumpers, and we had European spec headlights (unsealed, with a sharp cut-off line - actually much better lighting than the US standards). The headlights were changed for the '07 model year to US legal headlights - I would imagine that that should meet the Canadian standards also. There was also an issue with the headlight covers having an "edge" that runs down the middle of the cover, but that seems to have been ignored.

The bumpers were also "fixed" for the '07 model year...

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
The bumpers were also "fixed" for the '07 model year...
Only if you consider the clamshell part of the bumper. I would suspect that's the exemption referred to that the US accepted and Canada did not. To claim that the entire front clamshell is part of the bumper and thus may be damaged in an impact is, well, *creative*.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Only if you consider the clamshell part of the bumper. I would suspect that's the exemption referred to that the US accepted and Canada did not. To claim that the entire front clamshell is part of the bumper and thus may be damaged in an impact is, well, *creative*.
Yep. Hence my use of the quotes around "fixed"... ;)

·
Registered
215 Posts
Sigh...I suppose my plan to move to BC with my US 2005 Elise is doomed. Are modifications to meet (whatever?) standards admissible?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sigh...I suppose my plan to move to BC with my US 2005 Elise is doomed. Are modifications to meet (whatever?) standards admissible?
I would consider leaving it registered/plated in the US and just drive it up.....if you try to buy a used 2005 Elise in Canada they are around the $50k mark......significanly higher than the US...

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I moved up here last year, and I leave my Elise registered in the US. There doesn't seem to be much I can do; I'd like to spend a couple grand and make the car compliant, but the physical car does not seem to be the issue.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I would consider leaving it registered/plated in the US and just drive it up.....if you try to buy a used 2005 Elise in Canada they are around the $50k mark......significanly higher than the US...
you can't buy a compliant 2005 Elise in Canada. '06 was the first year the car was in Canada. Check your insurance policy if you're going to have US insurance on your US car but live in Canada. Trashing the car is one thing but if you if you hit a kid in med school and leave them a quadraplegic you'll be paying for the rest of your life if your insurance is denied.

·
Registered
215 Posts
you can't buy a compliant 2005 Elise in Canada. '06 was the first year the car was in Canada. Check your insurance policy if you're going to have US insurance on your US car but live in Canada. Trashing the car is one thing but if you if you hit a kid in med school and leave them a quadraplegic you'll be paying for the rest of your life if your insurance is denied.
Salient point.
I could probably fudge the car but not the insurance.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Contacted Transport Canada

I had contacted Transport Canada once about what harmonization of bumper standards implied. Here is the email response which I received Jan 13/2011.

-----------------------

Dear Mr. Craig:

Thank you for your correspondence of September 7, 2010, regarding the U.S. bumper standard as it pertains to Lotus Elise vehicles. Please accept my apologies for the delay in replying.

By way of background, I should first mention that the Motor Vehicle Safety Act, in effect since 1971, regulates the manufacture and importation of motor vehicles and motor vehicle equipment to reduce the risk of death and injury, and damage to property and the environment.

Under the Act, all vehicles of any of the prescribed classes manufactured in Canada or imported into Canada must comply with the applicable Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (CMVSSs), and the manufacturer must certify their compliance at the time of main assembly.

While CMVSS 215: Bumpers was amended on June 25, 2008, to be harmonized with both the U.S. and European test requirements, these requirements only apply to vehicles manufactured from that date forward. Vehicles manufactured prior to that date must comply with the requirements of the standard previously in effect.
In Canada, no exemption to the bumper or lighting standard has been granted to Lotus Cars U.S.A. Inc. Furthermore, harmonization with the U.S. bumper test requirements in 2008 did not include acceptance of a three-year temporary exemption to the U.S. bumper standard granted for the Lotus Elise in 2004.

As no exemption to the bumper standard exists for the Lotus Elise in Canada, the vehicle must comply with the requirements of the standard in effect at the time of its manufacture. The Lotus Elise has been available for sale in Canada since 2005 as a fully certified vehicle.

I trust that the foregoing clarifies this matter. Again, thank you for writing.

Sincerely,

Chuck Strahl

·
Registered
383 Posts
Canada Gazette – Regulations Amending the Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations (Bumpers)

Government of Canada to harmonize bumper standard - April 2, 2008

Watch out, Canada alters bumper standards - Autoblog

My questions are:
1) Will 2010 Elises be universal for US and Canada? (or the dealers have some way to make the Canadian Cars "unique" and non-importable?)
2) Will this relaxation affects prior vehicles (non-admissible by RIV list)? i.e. older elises or etc because of bumper/light assembly differences. or there are more 'differences' in the Federal elises that make it non-admissible?

If so, how will this impact the market here?

We see the dealers read these pages, what are your positions?
This is very odd and circumspect... if I had more time I would launch an investigation.

Let's see... US cars have rear bumperettes. Canadian cars do not. In '08 Canada harmonized the standards, so if the Elise needs bumpers for the US market, why doesn't it need them for Canada?

How is Transport Canada allowing Elises with NO rear bumpers into the country, if the standards between countries are now harmonized?!

Oh, and we pay more too!

·
Registered
120 Posts
all valid points, but in my opinion, there is only 1 reason why US Spec Lotus Elise's are not allowed to be imported into Canada.

$ $ $

Canada has three authorized dealers.
USA - let's just say... more than three.
Supply and demand results in highly inflated car prices in Canada.

Think of the impact on the three dealerships in Canada, if "financially responsible" Lotus Enthusiasts were able to shop in the USA, spend 10's of thousands of dollars less, just to drive them back home to the "Great White North".

I just did a quick search on Autotrader.com. I could buy a 2011 Lotus Elise for the same price as I paid my Canadian Dealership for a 2006. If I was set on a 2006 Lotus Elise, I could have saved between $10,000 - $15,000 and I'm surely not paying that much on duty and sales tax when I cross the bridge.

Pretty much makes me believe that it has nothing to do with bumpers, and everything to do about the bottom line.

·
Registered
218 Posts
It's not the dealers for sure; Transport Canada controls whether the car meets spec or not, and there's some spec that doesn't meet the safety requirements here. Generally it's either bumpers or speedo, immobilizer in some model years, and in the case of the Elise it's the bumper, and in the case of the Evora I think it is the starter/clutch interlock.

·
Registered
383 Posts
But the cars are identical! Actually, the US cars have more content - they have bumpers and Cdn cars do not!
So the cause is nothing due to bumpers, speedo, or immobilizer.
One or the Lotus dealers in Canada must have some "pull" with Ottawa.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts