The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that this question is too early to be answered, but how was the resale value of Elise S1 in Europe?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I'm betting that the Elise will hold it's value quite nicely here. A couple reasons:

1) They are only going to be bringing in 3000 a year (Ford sells that many Explorers in a day), so they are going to be rare.

2) There is supposed to be a redesign in 2006, which means we're looking at 2, maybe 3 model years totaling at most 9000 cars. Plus the first year is already sold out (or near to it) and it hasn't hit the streets yet.

3) Even if there are people who buy the car and hate it, and sell it, there are enough tuners and "Track only" racers out there to support the used market.

4) The cars performance is going to be amazing. Where else can you get the performance in this car for $40K, or even $50K? Even on down the road can you see something from Porsche, Ferrari, BMW, etc. that will be as lightweight, fast, and handle like the Elise?

Just my $.02...

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
You also have to take into account the rate at which the number of Elises is going to decline. In the hands of an inexperienced driver a neutral mid-engined car can be quite a handful, and the Elise sounds like a car that is totalled rather easily. Couple that with the fact that the Elise is, for many buyers, a track car and that there are the inevitable shunts on a racetrack and I think that the number will drop faster than with most cars.

·
Registered
529 Posts
NMRJock said:
You also have to take into account the rate at which the number of Elises is going to decline. In the hands of an inexperienced driver a neutral mid-engined car can be quite a handful, and the Elise sounds like a car that is totalled rather easily. Couple that with the fact that the Elise is, for many buyers, a track car and that there are the inevitable shunts on a racetrack and I think that the number will drop faster than with most cars.

True, this will be another indicator, but not in the way you think.

If there is enough demand for the car, even totalled cars will be rebuilt and sold.

This is happening currently with Land Rover Defenders. They didn't make very many and they don't import them anymore. Builders are buying salvaged trucks and rebuilding them because of demand (these used trucks are selling for more than when they were new back in 1994-1997).

If Lotus changes the Elise significantly in 2006, and demand remains high, I see the potential for people buying the salvaged cars and rebuilding them for resale. Heck, they may even take a totalled Elise and rebuild it into an Exige :)

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
TigerNSX said:
I know that this question is too early to be answered
I think you already answered you own question. You may as well look at resale of <insert a car here> in the US. European resale of the S1 has no relevance to the Fed Elise.

·
Registered
206 Posts
There is some relevance
as it's the cars first showing on your market and will be in limited supply.
In the UK we had it worse than you guys.
We had to wait 2 years for the first cars.
This held the resale value high.
There were some cars sold to eager buyers at more than list price as they didn't want to wait 2 years.

I'm not suggesting you buy one to make money though.
After the supply is raised to meet demand (new car releases like this are always undersupplied) the premium will drop.

I think long term resale value will still be good though especially anywhere where you have mountains (roads with bends in them).

This is not a car for driving long distances in straight lines.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Mark said:
There is some relevance
as it's the cars first showing on your market and will be in limited supply.
In the UK we had it worse than you guys.
We had to wait 2 years for the first cars.
This held the resale value high.
There were some cars sold to eager buyers at more than list price as they didn't want to wait 2 years.

I'm not suggesting you buy one to make money though.
After the supply is raised to meet demand (new car releases like this are always undersupplied) the premium will drop.

I think long term resale value will still be good though especially anywhere where you have mountains (roads with bends in them).

This is not a car for driving long distances in straight lines.
Two years? I've been waiting 8 and the clock is still ticking. I'm not as concerned with the resale though. I don't imagine being able to bring myself to sell it...

·
Registered
206 Posts
Paul
Agreed. Once you've driven it along some twisties nothing else will do.

MW
Hi :)
I did find a couple of bends on route.
IIRC somewhere around Sedona :D

It was great having petrol / sorry gas (I thought it was a liquid but never mind) so cheap. It's several (no kiding) times the price here :(
Has your importer passed any comment on using Octane booster in the Toyota lump ?

·
Registered
529 Posts
Lumn8r said:
Unless the chassis is damaged, that can't be repaired.
Of course money will play a part in our speculation, but I suspect that a damaged chasis won't matter. It's the title that will be the important thing (At least it is with the Land Rovers). If a builder can get a hold of a title, then a chassis, engine, clam chells, etc. can all be purchased and assembled. In turn the car can be registered and made road worthy.

Again, just my $.02...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I guess that the reason that I raised this question was because I could not understand the general market pricing structure for the sports/limited production cars.

For instance, what triggered my curiosity was the case of Lotus Espirit, which does not seem to hold its value very well in the U.S. This car is super rare, produced in limited amount... yet the resale value is bad. On the other hand, Ferrari 348/355, NSX or Porsche 993 are holding their values very well.

Is the low demand the only factor for the low resale value?

I would think that paying ~$40k for 97-98 Espirit would be a bargain (hence, don't understand the low demand argument).

Thanks for your comments.

·
Registered
206 Posts
The only way I can explain it is that Loti (Lotuses) are fundamentally drivers cars and as such have less "comfort" features that the other cars you've listed have.

This is inorder of making them better drivers cars by keeping the weight down.

This also means that people who just want a flash sports car to drive slowly and be seen in by the heavier other cars on your list as they come with more toys.

and there are more of the GJOB type than those like us who enjoy getting more out of there car.

·
Registered
14 Posts
993s are holding their value because they are the last of the air-cooled 911s, and therefore some people consider them the last "true" 911.

Boxsters, on the other hand are a bargain used. Probably because they don't offer huge performance for the money, and (I'm speculating here) because most people who buy a new Boxster really wanted a 911, and therefore end up selling in just 2-3 years to move up.

Not looking to start a air vs. water cooled Porsche debate here - in fact, a used Boxster is in serious contention with the Elise for me. I keep telling myself not to buy a Boxster until I get to drive an Elise, and so far it has worked.

George

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
GeorgeH said:
in fact, a used Boxster is in serious contention with the Elise for me. I keep telling myself not to buy a Boxster until I get to drive an Elise, and so far it has worked.

George
hahahahahahahahahaha.

Hold that thought! Once you've driven an Elise, you will understand - the Boxster is not in the same class. Plus the Boxster design is too uninspired and they are too common on the road.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yes, I agree, they are in different classes. The Elise is a pure sports car; the Boxster (relative to the Elise anyway) is halfway between a sports car and a GT. I just haven't decided what kind of car I want yet.:cool:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts