The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picture it... You just got your new Lotus and you want to drive it everywhere... So you do... In your travels you pop into a restaurant for a pint and a bit of curry. When you get back to your car you find a shopping cart has careened into the side of your car and left a great big scratch or worst still a great big chip the size of Cleveland on it..

It could happen... You've been warned! So how do you intend on preventing this nightmare from coming true?

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
All of the places that that I know of that serve pints or curry are no where near grocery store shopping carts. :D No worries here.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I think you can pervent the accidental hit, but I think some of the shopping cart hits are done by people who get a kick out of damaging expensive cars, you won't pervent that.

·
Registered
670 Posts
darkSol said:
The scary thing is that the shopping cart is ALMOST taller than the Exige... if the cart had a child "driver" it most certainly would be... :D
Thats what got me too. Thats the most graphic illustration of just how low these cars sit. It's also proof positive that shopping carts go straight for Exige's. Thank God I'm getting an Elise.

Seriously though, in 14 years of Corvette ownership the only thing not a problem is parking lot rash. Plastic cars don't ding, and impacts hard enough to crack paint are rare, I don't have any
other than the gravel tics on the lower hood. Nothing from a car door or shopping cart.

Steve

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
PS - it's every single person's responsibility to prevent shopping cart incidents. I've saved about 10 cars in the last year from runaway shopping carts left in windy parking lots by careless fools. If everyone who saw a car about to get hit actually cared enough to do something, there would be little risk of an incident.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Custom NOAH car cover. The Elise will not be parked anywhere near a shopping center since I've got other cars for that duty. But, in my travels, if I have to leave it anywhere out-of-sight for more than a few minutes, the car cover goes on!

Bob

·
Registered
400 Posts
Actually...

A better question would be, where will you put all your groceries?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
RichB said:
You may not believe this but that is actually a lotus designed shopping trolley! Note the 5 wheels....!
Well, it obviously is not made in the Lotus design philosophy. At the most it should only have three wheels, the metal should be glued together, a 5 point child harness with a rollbar and have very little carrying capacity :D :D

·
Registered
59 Posts
What you really need to worry about are the drivers who parallel park using the back up until you kiss the other car method.

One smack like this and you can kiss your bodywork goodby.

I just barely stopped somebody from doing this to my S1. He was completely unapologetic. Told me my car should have bumpers he can whack in to.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
This is the standard operating procedures in San Francisco. I am still not sure what I am going to do about it. Will the frame be damaged? Maybe I need low comprehensive deduction and plan on getting new clams every year.

What you really need to worry about are the drivers who parallel park using the back up until you kiss the other car method.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts