The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is it an exotic, since only 5040 copies ever made it stateside between 2005 and 2011 and it went out of production?:shift::drool:
Is it a classic since it went out of production?

Let the feedback begin...

Cheers!!
--njexpress

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
Low volume production sports car. Future classic.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Haven't had the 'is it exotic' discussion for awhile. Maybe it'll cool down the Chick Fil A discussion.
:popcorn:

Just an opinion...if #'s made something exotic, I think the Renault LeCar would qualify.

So would the Saab Sonnet.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Just an opinion...if #'s made something exotic, I think the Renault LeCar would qualify.
Don't hate on the LeCar. That is a true classic that will stand the test of time. So what if it falls apart as soon as you drive it off the dealer lot. Didn't Daihatsu (charade) and ford (festiva) try to copy it because of it's superior styling?rotfl

·
Registered
2011 Persian Blue Elise R(S)
819 Posts
We may need a new category since we seem not agree on this:

Exoctic: 1. From another part of the world; foreign.
2. Intriguingly unusual or different; excitingly strange.

Excitic: 1. From another part of the galaxy; England.
2. Very intriguingly unusual or very different; strangely exciting.
3. Causing excitement; stirring; stimulating.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
sub-sub-sub-compact

·
Registered
471 Posts
I also wondered when this discussion would again come alive. I have read previous threads on this issue (the "conduct guide", for example has a little bit of this)

It is a bit like the definition of "spyder/ spider" many feelings as to what qualifies.

EXOTIC

I, for one, am comfortable considering the Elise as an exotic. Quantifying a definition could be done many different ways, but the fact I can park it for 30 minutes and literally LITERALLY see 50 photo-shooters in that period seems diagnostic to me.

SUPERCAR

I am not comfortable (although I would like to be) with this term in regards to the Elise. To me this is something that will do over 200. Although, there is a link/discussion on Ferrichat going on right now (can I post another forum link on LT?) which is mainly glowing about the Elise/Exige.

The handling of the Elige is in supercar territory........... hmmmmm:shrug:

·
Registered
189 Posts
I also wondered when this discussion would again come alive. I have read previous threads on this issue (the "conduct guide", for example has a little bit of this)

It is a bit like the definition of "spyder/ spider" many feelings as to what qualifies.

EXOTIC

I, for one, am comfortable considering the Elise as an exotic. Quantifying a definition could be done many different ways, but the fact I can park it for 30 minutes and literally LITERALLY see 50 photo-shooters in that period seems diagnostic to me.

SUPERCAR

I am not comfortable (although I would like to be) with this term in regards to the Elise. To me this is something that will do over 200. Although, there is a link/discussion on Ferrichat going on right now (can I post another forum link on LT?) which is mainly glowing about the Elise/Exige.

The handling of the Elige is in supercar territory........... hmmmmm:shrug:

That might be my thread. :)

I want an Elise, after doing some homework, and having a ton of different cars.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=379103

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
^ smart man. nice guitars. I skimmed your thread over there, and there was one piece of bad info i saw. The redline is not 10k rpm. You get a shift light around 7800, redline i believe is 8000 or 8200, and the limiter shuts you down at 8500 but will allow short bursts up to 8500. That may not be exactly right, but it's the general idea. And I'd buy the base Elise and stick a TVS blower in there. The stock car is great, but the blower gives it torque in it's weak spots in the power band, the tune usually changes to give you progressive vvt starting at 4000 rpm instead of 6000+ rpm,and as a result transforms the power delivery. I say do it because it's safe, engineered to death, and relatively inexpensive and easy to pull off.. And yes, without a doubt, it is an exotic. Maybe a very inexpensive one, but 100% exotic.

·
Registered
189 Posts
^ smart man. nice guitars. I skimmed your thread over there, and there was one piece of bad info i saw. The redline is not 10k rpm. You get a shift light around 7800, redline i believe is 8000 or 8200, and the limiter shuts you down at 8500 but will allow short bursts up to 8500. That may not be exactly right, but it's the general idea. And I'd buy the base Elise and stick a TVS blower in there. The stock car is great, but the blower gives it torque in it's weak spots in the power band, the tune usually changes to give you progressive vvt starting at 4000 rpm instead of 6000+ rpm,and as a result transforms the power delivery. I say do it because it's safe, engineered to death, and relatively inexpensive and easy to pull off.. And yes, without a doubt, it is an exotic. Maybe a very inexpensive one, but 100% exotic.
Thanks so much, i am in my learning curve, and the blower info is most helpful.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
In my opinion:

Sedan = Toyota Camry
Sporty car = Toyota Celica, Scion tC
Sports Car= Porsche , Mercedes slk
Exotic car = Lotus Elise\ Exige
Exotic + Super car= Most Lamborghini \ Ferrari
Exotic + Hyper car= Bugatti, Merc SLR 722

Of course each make has its own special cars that fit into other categories.

·
Registered
380 Posts
What do you call an attractive mixed British/Japanese chick?

EXOTIC or eurasian :D

·
Such Administrating
6,894 Posts
Thanks so much, i am in my learning curve, and the blower info is most helpful.
I just bought mine 2 weeks ago, and I am still amazed by it and doubt that amazement will ever go away. I daily drive it and absolutely love it. The car is such a BLAST to drive.

In my opinion:

Sedan = Toyota Camry

Thats pretty much exactly how I would put it.

While I don't consider it a super car, I defintely consider it an exotic. They are more rare than lambos and ferraris around here. You rarely see a lotus around here, but you see lambos and ferraris quite often.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
In my opinion:

Sedan = Toyota Camry
super car (sans exotic) = gtr-r, viper, zr1
super car (sans exotic) = gtr-r, viper, zr1

and yes, the elise is exotic. When you have a car that looks like nothing else on the road, merits pictures and constant comments, and only seems to hang out with exotics, I think it is safe to call it an exotic.
But supercar...rotfl rotfl rotfl... You should be slapped just for thinking it!!!

1 - 20 of 61 Posts