The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from Atlanta! I've been reading the forum here for a few days and thought I'd say hello. I'm a self admitted motorcycle junkie (only 3 in the stable at them moment, garage is looking a little empty...), having owned over 20 bikes in my time and have recently gotten the car bug. I love doing track days on the motorcycle, and thought I might try a few in a car. I'd also like to do some day trips to the mountains, club rides, etc.

On the bike, a straight lines bore me. Never been into drag racing. But throw me into the twisties, and I'm a happy camper. I just can't get enough of the curves, picking the lines, feeling the g's, I just love it. So, after some research, it would appear that the Exige would be the ideal car for me. I've not test driven one yet, but everything I've read leads me to believe this is the one. Price is also a factor, so a GT3 or similar is probably not in the picture for me at this point.

As I shop and research the beasts, I'd be open to any advice you guys may have. Probably be looking at something "gently" used.

Thanks guys!

James

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
There is an Atlanta thread. Watch it for meets. Some of us also motorcycle. You just missed a great car drive in the mountains yesterday.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pardon my ignorance, but what is the difference between the NA and FI versions? I assume FI means fuel injection?

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
There are several different flavors of Exige:
2006 Exige is a naturally aspirated with 190 hp version.
2007 Exige S is an intercooled, supercharged 220 hp version.
2008 Exige S is a non-intercooled, supercharged 220 hp version.
2008 Exige S 240 (or 240S) is an intercooled, supercharged 240 hp version.
Also some Club Racers floating around, but those are rare.
Then there are the Cup cars...but since you want to use your car on the road those are not an option for you.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Yes the Lotus is the car for you, test drive and you are in trouble

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
I just can't get enough of the curves, picking the lines, feeling the g's, I just love it.
I was in about the same place as you when I bought my Elise. My track experience on motorcycles led me to the conclusion that the Lotus would make a great track car.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the car. However, the handling of a car, even this Lotus, feels very two-dimensional compared to the three dimensional feel of a motorcycle. The lean of the motorcycle leaves the cars feeling flat, literally. The handling of the motorcycle is much more dynamic - not just the lean angle, it's also the difference shifting your weight makes leaning forward and back, and the fact that you control front and breaking independently. Plus, nothing can compare to the visceral feeling of dragging a knee through a turn.

The best handling cars in the world can pull a single g in a turn. If you want an exciting new sport that provides more g's, I would recommend shifter carts. Amazingly, they can pull in excess of three g's.

I sold my car because it just wasn't exciting enough on the track and because I was logging so much time on the street on my motorcycles, as well as the track, that I just wasn't driving the car very much. Even so, I love the car so much that I may well get another one day when I am an old guy looking to slow down and play it safe. :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the handling of a car, even this Lotus, feels very two-dimensional compared to the three dimensional feel of a motorcycle. The lean of the motorcycle leaves the cars feeling flat, literally.
Thanks for that perspective, I can appreciate it. I remember reading something in one of the bike mags, where Valentino Rossi was given a formula one car to drive for a press junket. He got very respectable lap times, within 10's of a second of some of Shumackers qualifying times, despite having never driven one before. The press went nuts, asking when he was going to make the move to F1. His comments were "In a car, I drive. On a bike, I dance".

I was also thinking about how spoiled we, as motorcyclists, are in regard to power to weight ratio. My little KTM Superduke, with pipes, dynos at 122hp, yet weighs somewhere south of 400lbs wet. Don't know, but I doubt there are many cars that come close.

That being said, I think it is still an itch I've got to scratch. I buy and sell bikes all the time in search of nirvana. I suspect cars might be the same thing? By the looks of it, buying used, and smart (and, obviously, taking meticulous care of it) means that if it doesn't do it for me, I can get out without too much of a hit.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There are several different flavors of Exige:
2006 Exige is a naturally aspirated with 190 hp version.
2007 Exige S is an intercooled, supercharged 220 hp version.
2008 Exige S is a non-intercooled, supercharged 220 hp version.
2008 Exige S 240 (or 240S) is an intercooled, supercharged 240 hp version.
Thanks Mr. Know. It really helps to have it spelled out like that. The thought of a S 240 sounds appealing, but I'm afraid budget may rule it out. I'm trying to be responsible here :crazyeyes

So the 06' has the same HP as the Elise, yes? I'm going to assume the 220 version is considerably more fun? I don't want anything underpowered, I'd be bored with it quickly.

So - what about the Elise SC? That has the supercharged engine, yes? Also, how does the addition or lack of intercooled engine in the 07's and 08 Exige's effect performance? Can one "feel" a difference between the 2?

Thanks for all the help here guys!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts