The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I discovered HPDE's about 6 months ago at MSR in North Texas. While driving to the track I came upon a Lotus Exige, (that would be you Brian!). I had never seen or heard of one. (Forgive my ignorance, I once was a 4 Car magazine a month guy but tired of reading the same article with just different tech details, I had not followed the industry closely for 10+ years.) So at the track I saw even more Elise/Exige's and without a doubt this was the car that got my attention, ok ok, I might have even 'L'ed it... that would be Lust!

So I have decided I want to get a car that is primarily for the track. My conditions are; RWD, Manual, no computer assist (except ABS), street legal, reliable, relatively low operating costs.

I currently am taking a serious look the Exige/Elise and the Miata. I was at MSR this past weekend and took a ride in a '94 Spec Miata, and an Elise (from a fellow member here, thanks again Kevin). I enjoyed both rides. I've owned 2 Miata's and felt then and now that the Miata just needs more power. I plan on making a purchase decision in the Fall of this year.

So I'm just gonna hang out here, do a lot of lurking and reading and once I think I know enough to actually be dangerous I'll venture into the pool!

Cheers!

Kevin

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
Welcome. Enjoy the decision. :wave:

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
Hi!! Happy lurking!!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Hey, Kevin! It was a good weekend for me, too, and I'm glad to hear I provided a bit of entertainment.

Good luck with your decision. I've owned both a Miata and my current Elise, and I think this is a case where you can't lose either way.

Kevin

·
Registered
709 Posts
You can't go wrong either way :) Personally, if the car is for track use, I'd go with a latest-gen Miata (MX5). Cheaper to fix when you go off.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Just get one Kevin. :) You won't regret it.

Wish I was in red so I could have taken you for a ride. I'll be up there for the 3.1 and you are more than welcome to give it a shot during parade or down the highway if you like.

We always need more Lotus out there. Soon every TDE will be a Lotus event. :D

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
after owning both and seeing how one can mod a Miata - I'd say you're in for a fun ride no matter what.

you could always supercharge the Miata and save yourself the expense of an Elise if money is an object. If not, quit whining and grab an Elise now! :D Daily driving has never been so much damned fun for me!

I bet you'll have a ton of fun at the track without mods!

Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys. I'm going to the May TDE at MSR, the 3.1 is a blast. Gonna rent a Spec Miata for the weekend. If I go with a Miata then I'll probably get a Spec one and add a SC/Turbo. The Miata is the practical choice, but don't get me wrong, it is one of the best sports cars ever produced and it certainly is fun. The Lotus is the emotional choice. Right now I'm rooting for whatever side of the brain runs the emotions!!! :)

Oh, and one good plus. My wife likes the Lotus!!

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
If you need a good miata shop, we got one down here in Houston. I'm sure they are up there too though. This one just happens to do tons of spec miata stuff (including trackside support) AND they know the Lotus inside and out. :)

Feel free to give them a call if you want to bounce any questions off of them.

Clint at Gas Head Motorworks

(713) 461-7575

·
Premium Member
5,633 Posts
:wave:

I've owned an S2000 and currently own a Miata MX5 (M edition) and of course an Elise. Get the Elise or Exige (better for the track) and you'll never look back!!

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
cough *Exige* cough erm yeh welcome to Lotus Talk. Have fun making your decision what ever you pic you will not be let down i assure you ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts