The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How's everyone going to change thier oil?

How is everone going to change thier oil? Are ya'll going to trust yourselves with hitting the correct jack point with a jack or what else can we do?

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I wouldn't touch the oil with a 10' pole - got a small shop that will do it for me - probably for free if I give them a ride from time to time. The car's a toy, not a vocation. All I'll do is drive it and wax it. I know I'm pitiful, but after working hard all my life (successfully albeit) it's time to reap the fruits of my labor and I don't want to screw up my fruits LOL

·
Registered
138 Posts
I trust myself more than I would a mechanic. Don't know how yet, but I will do it. This will be my fourth car. I just knock them all out at once.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
I got to the point where I quit doing that kind of stuff, just paid people. But I will do my own oil with the Elise. I don't trust the local JiffyLube or Toyota dealer to do it right.

·
Registered
4 Posts
on my audi S4 i just drive it up on a couple of ramps and take out the plug and change the filter. pretty damn easy! i don't think it is going to be much harder on this car. And it's actually quicker than taking it to a shop. time = money

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I use ramps for all work on my car that doesn't require removal of the wheels. It's so much easier and quicker than jacking it up. $30 well spent!

Unless it's much harder than it should be, I certainly plan to change the oil myself. I do as much work as I can myself, even though my skills are still fairly limited. I much prefer that over paying a shop to mess up my car.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What kind of ramps (size) will you use since the elise is so low to the ground?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
ulmpharmd said:
What kind of ramps (size) will you use since the elise is so low to the ground?
For my Elise I use Blitz Rhinoramps:

http://www.blitzusa.com/auto_products_ramps.html

Work very well and have a very gentle rise, so no problem with scraping.

Usually only need them for the rear anyway, so front clearance I have never checked. Don't think it's an issue though.

Bye, Arno.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Arno said:
For my Elise I use Blitz Rhinoramps:
That's what I have. You can buy them at AutoZone, and probably other parts stores. If the car is too low to clear the ramps without scraping, you can drive it on a couple of boards first.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,199 Posts
I use the Rhino ramps as well. Very nice. Plastic contruction so no rusting like those old school metal ones...

I think boards will be required to raise the front on the ramps beause of the longer front overhang - especially if you chose the Sport pack. Though I'm not sure why one would raise the front on an Elise...:confused: ;)

Jacking the car does require some care be taken. Lotus has very specific points that are approved. I believe the approved jack points have been posted on EliseTalk.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Jacking the car isn't the "difficult" part. It's just making sure the jack is in the right spot. I would caution all of you taking your car somewhere to make sure this is done right.

Oil changes are easy on the Elise once you get the undertray off. On the K-Series, the oil filter is somewhat of a pain if you have an oil cooler because the cooler lines get in the way of accessing the filter (they run right below the filter).

To get the tray off I jack the car up and put ramps under the rear wheels. Get the tray off and then raise the whole car up on stands. Stand placement is critical as well. Need to take time to make sure they are exactly where they need to be - otherwise you get some nice dents in the under-carriage.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
How about a product like this ?:

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?&SKU=10122

A buddy uses this to change the oil in his bimmer, he swears by it.

I am undecided. I've pretty much always had my cars professionally serviced, I like to clean, polish and wax them myself but other than that I don't want to get in there "too deep". I'll be fortunate to have a Lotus dealer and a very good independent Lotus shop nearby, so chances are that I'll have all work including oil done by the pros. That being said, the Elise may inspire me to get my hands dirty once in awhile ! ;)

P.S. I just noticed that the car in the photo is a Lotus Elan :)

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
But how can you be certain that you've gotten the pickup to the lowest point in the sump? I'd never feel like I'd gotten all of the dirty oil out.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I'd think that with this suction device, you can do a better job than just letting the stuff drip out ? Anyway I don't think that you ever really get "all" the dirty oil out.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
NMRJock said:
But how can you be certain that you've gotten the pickup to the lowest point in the sump? I'd never feel like I'd gotten all of the dirty oil out.
Also, aren't oil plugs magnetic? To collect metal residue?

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
You would still need to get under the car to change the filter, so I don't see how it could save a lot of work. :confused: Well, I guess it depends on where the oil filter is located. I seem to remember that on my previous car, you accessed it from the top. In that case, you wouldn't have to jack up the car if you used this "sucker".

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
NMRJock said:
My next home will have a shop. I hope to have a lift by the time I need to do my first oil change.
A lift would be awesome, but I have no garage! I'm thinking about buying a small warehouse for this kinda fun stuff, though :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts