The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys. This is a video from my last time trial over the weekend (On a shifter cart track). To preface this - I know I am redlining the CRAP out of the car...I need like a 2.5 gear for this track.

Anyway, I've got about a dozen auto-x experience (maybe 4 or 5 in the lotus). How does my technique look? The car felt a little twitchy (as evident from my sawing!).

Stock Tires, Kantana, Nitron Coilovers. Best lap 1:08.2. Fastest car on street tires!

1 Warm up lap, 3 hot, 1 cool down

DSCF0216.AVI - YouTube

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I'm hardly an experienced driver as far as racing, but I can tell you for sure you need to work on shifting, both up and down.

Without that blower you'd be very slow coming out most those turns.. should be dropping a gear.

On the straights, grab another gear. Use brakes to slow down, not the engine.

WOT till near turn, hard on brakes, drop gear same time, start pulling into turn and back to WOT.

This is one of the first races I did and I pretty much did the same as you...

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the feedback, Nate! Just to clarify - the first lap was a warm-up, followed by 3 hot laps. I didn't shift from 2nd in this video at all (once I hit the hot laps) - first gear is way too slow for any of these corners. In the morning I was a second slower (consistently) with a 2-3 shift on the front straight and the first sweeper. I'm not sure if this is where you are seeing my shifting, but just to clarify.

I do agree with you, I think my weakest point on the track was braking. I just couldn't get the feel for where the zones were without leaving too much room for error. I feel like I'm loosing A LOT of time here (especially in the first turn).

Thanks again!

I'm hardly an experienced driver as far as racing, but I can tell you for sure you need to work on shifting, both up and down.

Without that blower you'd be very slow coming out most those turns.. should be dropping a gear.

On the straights, grab another gear. Use brakes to slow down, not the engine.

WOT till near turn, hard on brakes, drop gear same time, start pulling into turn and back to WOT.

This is one of the first races I did and I pretty much did the same as you...

Tanacross 10.wmv - YouTube

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
You were attempting to slow down while you were doing turns. At 3:35 the back end wanted to come around for exactly that reason. You were fairly smooth, but were not pushing the envelope in the esseys prior to the long straight, judging transitions can be tough. I agree with the earlier poster who suggested you could have grabbed a lower gear to come out of some corners and hit 3rd on the straight (assuming your shifter doesn't have a lot of slop). Overall you did quite well, fastest time of the day on street tires speaks for itself.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Not expert, but just my thoughts: Car was begging for 3rd gear on that straight... also you can lift a bit to rotate the rear a tid bit, just enough so that we don't notice in the video...reflexes were good though

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not expert, but just my thoughts: Car was begging for 3rd gear on that straight... also you can lift a bit to rotate the rear a tid bit, just enough so that we don't notice in the video...reflexes were good though
Ya, that's the thing that sucks though. 3rd gear on that front straight just isn't long enough. I grab third then need to downshift a second later. I (as well as guys in other cars) were just running second gear out.

I'm not sure where you think a lift would pay? I felt like I could control the back end pretty well on/off throttle - especially in the tighter sections of track before the esses.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts