The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yo! Being as impulsive as I am, I ordered the Elise in my haste without really contemplating how the engine rumbling would sound for longer periods of time. Anyone have feedback?

I'm never going to live down buying a car with my same name - - cheesy.
- Elise

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
It's loudish for a street car, but music to my ears. You'll dig it if you like performance sounds. But if your baseline is a Honda, merc-benz, or a lexus you may be annoyed. BTW: ride quality is almost pampering compared to my modestly set-up M3. I think the Elise is a very cushy ride compared to what pop mythology reports.

Edit: But you live in NYC? Your car will atrophy!

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Not to worry!!!

The wind drowns out the engine noise!

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
I have a hardtop and I havent removed it. With the hardtop on I think its very quiet....but then again Im not used to ultra quiet cars. :confused:

·
Registered
291 Posts
Lets put it this way. If I'm going 80mph with the soft top up and then roll down the window, it doesn't sound any different.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I rail against loud, obnoxious exhaust sounds from modded systems that clearly violate noise laws. But I love the Elise sound -- it's just loud enough to stand out from the crowd, without being annoying. And -- unlike the obnoxious ones -- it's street legal.

From the cockpit, it's sweet. Of course, it's also nice to climb into my partner's CRV for some fairly-quiet time, too. But the Elise sound does make me smile!

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Joetz said:
I don't have wind noise, even at very high speeds. Is that because I have the touring pack's insulated top?
Right. Not much noise with the top on. But since 98% of the time I don't have the top on....I think mainly in terms of topless.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Randy, that's because you live in SOCal. Try it in Philly this time of year :(

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
Randy Chase said:
Not to worry!!!

The wind drowns out the engine noise!
unless you install the Stage 2 or comparitively loud exhausts. :up:

However, i've never been in an Elise with it's softop/hardtop on