The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I am new to this forum.

I don't (yet) own a Lotus, but my younger son has his heart set on me replacing my 99' 911 with an Exige S. And I am leaning that way. I might as well do so now, before I become too old to climb in and out of a car such as a Lotus.

In any event, in lurking, and reading many of the posts in this forum, I noticed that someone indicated that the 07' Exige S has an intercooler, but the 08' does not, but the HP numbers are the same.

I have always understood that an intercooler cooled the intake charge, allowing it to be denser, and thus deliver more fuel/air to the cylinder making more power. Perhaps my understanding is incorrect.

But if that is generally correct, then how does the 2008 produce as much HP and torque as the 2007?

I apologize in advance if this has been addressed before, but I could not find such a discussion using the search feature.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
I can't answer the question technically as well as others here, so I will leave it to them, but I will say:

You may want to consider getting a cheap 07 off a dealer lot instead of the base 08 Exige. You will save lots of money and have an intercooler. You will lose the new guages, keyfob and any other little new stuff for 08 though. This is of course assuming the intercooler can make a difference... especially under certain circumstances like a hot track day... no loss of power?

BUT - the Exige S240... thats a whole different story... :drool:

·
Registered
67 Posts
I just took my 240 for a therapy drive.. I agree with the 07S choice but absolutely try to persuade someone to allow you a drive in the 240..
overall quality has improved including ride quality..
an incredible improvement.. do your research before you decide.. clearly the lotus will completely change your perspective on driving enjoyment

·
Registered
150 Posts
There are also numerous quality control mods in the 08 - like the rubber boots on the toe link joints etc etc etc etc etc... - john.

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
I have an 07 Exige S, but I gotta agree, the '08 comes with a lot of juicey stuff I would have wanted on my 07 and the price of the 08 isn't that much higher.

But then there is the 09 Eagle 6 banger, wait for twin turbo kits for that...

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Hello all. I am new to this forum.

I don't (yet) own a Lotus, but my younger son has his heart set on me replacing my 99' 911 with an Exige S. And I am leaning that way. I might as well do so now, before I become too old to climb in and out of a car such as a Lotus.

In any event, in lurking, and reading many of the posts in this forum, I noticed that someone indicated that the 07' Exige S has an intercooler, but the 08' does not, but the HP numbers are the same.

I have always understood that an intercooler cooled the intake charge, allowing it to be denser, and thus deliver more fuel/air to the cylinder making more power. Perhaps my understanding is incorrect.

But if that is generally correct, then how does the 2008 produce as much HP and torque as the 2007?

I apologize in advance if this has been addressed before, but I could not find such a discussion using the search feature.

Thanks!
Its the same reason they can throw a longer roof scoop and a different ECU mapping and get 240 hp out of the exact same engine that's in the 07 Exige S. Its all a matter of tuning.

On the other hand, the 07 Exige S is probably hands down the bargain of the year right now.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
one would be able to remove the roof on an 07 but not an 08 is that correct? Thanks.
Nope - you can remove the roof on any Exige (06 - 08). The question isn't weather you CAN remove the roof, but rather SHOULD you remove the roof.

The roof scoop is supposed to bring air to the intercooler on both the 07's and 08 240 S. So removing the roof will inhibit its effectiveness (which some feel is minimal anyway - the 08 240 S is a little better with the mohawk going to the windshield).

06 Exiges (which aren't supercharged) and 08 220 S's (which aren't intercooled) will not be affected in the least by removing the roof - other than aerodynamics.

·
Registered
4 Posts
thanks vicious 1. as you mentioned the scoop prob does little during "normal" driving. the roof will be needed for it's strength, protection and functionality during trackdays however. one of the cars in my garage is 355 gts, do love the open top experience.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts