The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
It's all good- lots of really great advice in here- thanks all!
Admittedly, I'm crap at Sim driving- 30 years of feeling a car definitely makes the experience frustrating. Maybe VR will help, but it's probably also a good lesson in using my eyes more and consistently picking my points. But the Evora models were just so much more difficult to control than any other ME like a Cayman or 488, that I started to become really concerned. In either case, track day insurance might not be the worst idea while I adjust ;-)
I'm of the same experience with sims. There's a lot of variability with some of them.

Two suggestions:
Track day insurance such as Hagerty is a great idea. An error from most anyone is possible and of course, it's not your fault, it's not his fault, it's the asphalt....
Taking a commercial racing school is expensive but less worrisome because you are not risking your own car as a novice. There are some excellent ones around. The alternative would be hiring a driving coach for a day.

Regards,
Dan

·
Premium Member
6,511 Posts
At most HPDE schools like SCDA, you WILL spend the entire day with your "coach" who has a very personal desire for you to do well.....his a$$ is in the passenger seat....btw part of the cost of your day!!! His free tack day is payment for instruction.

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Had my first track day in the Evora this weekend and wanted to follow up and say thanks for all the advice. The Evora was 2 seconds faster than my previous best, and I could stay consistently in that range. what a machine. I was amazed how quickly corners disappeared and I could go back to throttle. It told me I could take a completely different (shorter) racing line, and I had to keep reminding myself to brake later. Really impressed- thanks for the confidence building....

·
Registered
303 Posts
Had my first track day in the Evora this weekend and wanted to follow up and say thanks for all the advice. The Evora was 2 seconds faster than my previous best, and I could stay consistently in that range. what a machine. I was amazed how quickly corners disappeared and I could go back to throttle. It told me I could take a completely different (shorter) racing line, and I had to keep reminding myself to brake later. Really impressed- thanks for the confidence building....
Where are you lucky enough to have a track open? Many states still have 'em locked down... like grocery stores are safer???

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Washington State- we've justed started Phase1 of opening things up, and the racing schools lobbied to be included. There were "compliance enforcers" in the paddock to ensure everyone wore a mask at all times and kept their distance.

·
Premium Member
600 Posts
Assetto Corsa and MY17, not even close. Doesn't feel like my car, doesn't steer like it. I'm using Oculus and Assetto Corsa with Logitek G27 and it does a great job of Motion Sickness. 30 sec. and I was done.

·
Premium Member
6,511 Posts
Washington State- we've justed started Phase1 of opening things up, and the racing schools lobbied to be included. There were "compliance enforcers" in the paddock to ensure everyone wore a mask at all times and kept their distance.
They were all at that pool party over the weekend right///???:mad:

21 - 30 of 30 Posts