The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has recommendations on HPDE events for this summer. Ideally I'd like to go to a couple of events this summer, but I'm not sure which groups are the best to go with around here (I just moved to NJ last year).

In the past I've gone with PCA, and they've always been great. The only problem (well not really a _problem_) is that I swapped the Porsche for the Lotus and I'm no longer a PCA member. Now I'm not quite sure which groups would be best to go with. There just something unsettling about going with an unknown group to a HPDE event.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Ideally I'd like to shoot for the May-July timeframe.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
try an scad event. a few of them hrm comes to, and its top notch
go to hrm, web site and look for track events...
rob

·
Registered
163 Posts
HPDE

I ran with PDA, SCDA and a BMW club last year. Had a great time at all of them. The BMW club was probably the best organized though.

Welcome to the neighborhood.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Summit is a great track. I actually just moved to NJ from northern VA, and I've been to Summit a few times. I'm sorry I never made it to VIR while I was down there. Always seemed like a long drive...now its a really long drive :)

This summer I'm hoping to make it to a couple of the more local tracks that weren't as easily accessible from VA. Thunderbolt looks interesting. I've still never made it to Limerock, and I really enjoyed Watkins Glen last time.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ran with PDA, SCDA and a BMW club last year. Had a great time at all of them. The BMW club was probably the best organized though.

Welcome to the neighborhood.
Which BMW group did you run with? Do they allow non-BMWs?

·
Banned
1,348 Posts
SCDA is where it's at. Ian is great... PDA sucks. I don't like the way they run things. I know people who have gotten hurt at their events. SCDA is run in a more professional manor and attracts less bad eggs.

I haven't run with PDA since they've merged with NASA. So maybe they've changed. They also tend to run more events. Track time is track time. But if you have a choice I like SCDA.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
isn't there a track in Englishtown ?? :shrug:

·
Registered
163 Posts
BMW Club

I went with the BMW Patroon Chapter when they had an event at Lime Rock. I believe they, and most BMW clubs, don't discriminate against other makes of cars. The PCA clubs tend to be very picky on whom they let in if not a Porsche. Tracks within a two hour drive of northern NJ are Poconos (not a very good track), Lime Rock (excellent track) and the new Thunderbolt. I think that is it.

See you around!

·
Registered
401 Posts
My PCA region, Riesentoter, allows other makes although the lower run groups sell out immediately at many events. I ran my Elise with them for 2 years and so did 3 others. We were never discriminated against on the basis of our marque although we did have to give a lot of pass signals on the long straights. Actually, everybody loved our cars - these are car and track people who appreciate cool cars.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I recommend BMWCCA

My BMW CCA Chapter (Boston) does not discriminate against non-BMW drivers, as long as your car is track-worthy; in fact they appreciate having variety. If you become a club member ($40/year), then you get first in line for events. Also if you join the club you also get Roundel each month, the best car club magazine out there (PCA's Panorama looks like a cheap production by comparison...).

And yes they are really a great bunch of guys too.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Hooked On Driving now has northeast dates -- plenty of them...

This is a track-day group based in California, but they have recently expanded operations in the northeast, with dates at Watkins Glen and Pocono. Highly recommended.

http://www.hookedondriving.com/category.cfm?category=1

1 - 15 of 15 Posts