The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Background: The original owner of my 89 Esprit had a vintage era Cobra radar detector installed. They cut the leather piece above the radio, and I've left it there for years mainly because I didn't know what to do with the big hole that would be left if I pulled it out. Recently, Artie was kind enough to send me leather from his old, cinnamon interior (like mine) after he awesomized his, and I had planned to use it to fix the piece that had been cut. Recently, though, after realizing every time I wanted to plug in my GPS or charge my phone, I had to run the wire either over through the sun visor or across my or the passenger's lap to get to the sockets on the doors, it occurred to me that as long as it's already cut and has a power source going there, I can put a couple of USB ports there, so....

Now...I've got the design figured out with a couple of 2.1 amp socket adapters I'm disecting and putting into a project box, a couple of 3 amp inline fuses, and the ports from a PC USB back panel adapter that I can mount to a front panel in the car. The last piece of the puzzle for me was how to have a clean look inside the car. I thought about trying to make a panel with the tools I've got, but decided it would look like crap no matter how hard I tried :)

So, I've designed a 142mm x 30mm (about 1mm more in height and width than the panel for the detector) to mount the USB ports to that I'll have made at Front Panel Express. The cost should only be @ $25 including shipping! I realize that's a lot of background detail when I haven't even gotten to my request yet, but maybe the background will be helpful for others.

Anyway, my request is for help creating a PLT/HPGL file. I want to have a small logo etched into the panel to try to make it look a little OEM. I've tried to convert the logo using some freeware/trial stuff, but a) it doesn't do a great job, and b) I don't know what I'm doing, so it's highly possible I am the problem in the process. When I convert it, the ACBC isn't straight and an extra semi-round, squarish boarder gets put around the outer circle of the logo (it's sort of a fish-eye lens effect, but it's only on the "added" extra border). I'm sure CAD guys know why I'm getting that and could fix it easily, but I don't have a clue.

If anyone can produce a good quality, acccurate conversion to PLT/HPGL it would be a huge help.

Thanks, Dale

The logo I'm trying to convert is:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I figured out how to get rid of the extra border the conversion program was creating and I've got the ACBC looking a lot better, but it's still not perfect. The attached PDF shows what the panel looks like right now in the program that will provide the CNC instructions, and if you look closely at the logo, you'll see that I"m still not getting a clean conversion.

Attachments

·
Registered
743 Posts
...your are lucky with vintage cobra radar detector permanently installed --- how about a fuzzbuster radar detector like mine?

leave it alone 89 esprit price might go up

·
Registered
859 Posts
...your are lucky with vintage cobra radar detector permanently installed --- how about a fuzzbuster radar detector like mine?

leave it alone 89 esprit price might go up
seriously, "fuzzbuster." was that an actual brand? I remember when people referred to them as "fuzzbusters", but I don't recall that being an actual brand. rotfl

1 - 4 of 4 Posts