The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While the front and rear suspension bits are disassembled (for Nylatron bushings and other stuff), I want to powdercoat the rusty hub and hub carrier. Has anyone every removed the speed sensor plastic ring? I can't quite figure how it's fixed to the hub carrier. I worry the powdercoating process will melt the plastic ring if it's not removed.

Attachments

·
Registered
821 Posts
First remove hub bearing assembly. then look further into it. Basically 3 bolts. thing should come out with a little TLW (tender loving whacking) :D

I'm not certain how that one is attached but at this point I believe it to be a press fit. best way to see is remove that bearing assembly IMO.

If this is a press fit. you may/may not be able to remove w/o trashing it.

but it will require a press, and a round object just the right size to push on that ring.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Don't think it's fixed to the carrier.
From the manual:

(Section JJ.14)
A wheel speed sensor is integrated into each of the four hub bearing assemblies and supplies a signal to
the ABS control module. The module outputs a road speed signal to the engine ECM, and also to the instrument
pack for speedometer operation.
Output from each wheelspeed sensor can be checked using the Scan 2 tool, and if found to be faulty or
absent, the complete hub assembly should be renewed - refer to sub-section CI.5 (front) or DH.4 (rear).

(Section CI.5)
The sealed front wheel bearings are contained in a steel housing secured to the hub carrier with three
'Torx' bolts. The double row, angular contact, ball bearing is retained in the outer housing and also onto the
hub spigot by a shoulder and a peening operation, and is inseparable for service. Note that all four hub assemblies
are common, and incorporate a wheel speed sensor in the bearing unit, with a flying lead terminating
in an electrical connector plug secured by a camber shim plate bracket.
If there is found to be any discernible free play in the hub bearing, or any roughness or tight spots can be
felt, or any signs of lubricant expulsion are evident, the hub assembly should be replaced - there is no provision
for adjustment.

So you can at least powdercoat the carrier after you remove the hub/bearing.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Make sure to update for future reference of others.

I'm remembering back to the hub on a toyota (IIRC)...and I do remember the sensor being a part of the bearing assembly. so this is possible on this car as well (not saying they are the same part, just that I remember taking one apart that was built like that, so another can exist :D)

·
Registered
330 Posts
It's part of the Hub/Bearing, Not the upright. Remove the 3 Bolts and the Bearing/Hub/ABS sensor will come out of the upright.

·
Registered
330 Posts
You would think that Lotus would at least put a wisp of paint on the uprights.-poke-

·
Registered
821 Posts
You would think that Lotus would at least put a wisp of paint on the uprights.-poke-
+1. That pic makes me happy I live in the desert. No moisture to destroy my precious.:evil:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts