The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a high speed vibration issue when I bough my 2006 Exige. Asked the dealer to check it out, they said it was normal (uh... no).

Figured out that my Team Dynamics wheels (I think they are older Pro Race 1.2) did not have the hubcentric rings installed. From both research on this forum and from measuring the actual hub I came up with the dimensions of 73mm OD and 56.6 ID for the hubcentric ring I needed.

I ordered the Gorilla 73mm x 56.5mm hubcentric rings from Amazon and they fit my wheels and hubs perfectly. They are snug but not hard to put on. Just a little push on the wheel to get it to slide on. I don't know if the 56.5 is just off a bit or if everyone else who has ever measured a Lotus hub is just doing it wrong but it appears that this is a cheap temporary option even if the technically correct size is 56.6mm.

I did order some aluminum hubcentric rings from teamilluminata.com so the plastic ones are only temporary until those come in. Just mentioning this just in case someone wants something cheap and quick while you wait on the good stuff.

·
Registered
205 Posts
hubcentric rings
I personally think you do not need them for the rims. I tested my bmw which says u should us them. I tried them without and with them on I think if you take a little more time to make sure the rim is put on correctly you should not have an issue. Did you clean the rust and dirt inside were the rim and hub match? I think that is the most important and easy to fix, because there is a lot of junk that builds up there over time. If you do both the centering rings and cleaning and still have a vibration I would look into it further. Did the centering rings work for you?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I cleaned the hub and brake rotor and remounted the wheels several times. Every time I carefully tightened each wheel in a star pattern. I also tried turning the wheel on the hub to get different wheel holes lined up with different holes on the hub and while I did get a little of the vibration out it was not completely gone. Adding the hubcentric rings eliminated all of the vibration.

The post is more of a PSA for folks suffering from the same problem and wanting a quick/cheap fix. 73x56.6 is not a common size but 73x56.5 is and you can order from Amazon for cheap. Even so I would recommend just using these plastic ones until you can get ahold of some aluminum rings.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts