The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those were the words of a journalist-friend who's had access to a sports package car for the past week. He also told me the performance numbers they recorded. I can't report them here, but I can tell you that if you compare the numbers to any of the road tests data charts found in the major auto mags, the quarter-mile number will be impressive, while the skidpad G number will be the stuff of legends.

I asked him how much of a handful it was at the limit, and he described it as "surprisingly benign," adding it was "perfectly neutral on the skidpad" during data collection. He said the only negative of its handling is that if you've been driving power-steering for quite a while (like we all have, I suspect), counter-steering when the tail swings out can be tiring -- that it requires much force than what anyone's used to.

He had many other comments, all positive. All I can say is that his enthusiasm was infectious. In fact, he called me from the car after finishing some night driving--I think he was in one of the modes of, "God damn, this is unreal! And I can't keep it to myself!"

Sigh... and I'm #40.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,290 Posts
Cool. Thx for posting.

Did he mention anything about the comfort/ride quality? Many people are concerned about this issue with the sport pack.

·
purveyor of lightness
4,160 Posts
JonM3Coupe said:
Those were the words of a journalist-friend who's had access to a sports package car for the past week. He also told me the performance numbers they recorded. I can't report them here, but I can tell you that if you compare the numbers to any of the road tests data charts found in the major auto mags, the quarter-mile number will be impressive, while the skidpad G number will be the stuff of legends.
So is this a review that's going to be published?

What magazine / web site... when?

Otherwise that's just malicious teasing...

Number 5 needs more input.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
shinoo said:
Cool. Thx for posting.

Did he mention anything about the comfort/ride quality? Many people are concerned about this issue with the sport pack.
He said ride quality was actually very comfortable. He said he could easily use it as his daily driver. Just keep in mind that this guy is no fan of grand touring vehicles. His definition of acceptable comfyness is probably very generous.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Re: "HUGE feedback through the steering wheel"

darkSol said:
So is this a review that's going to be published?

What magazine / web site... when?

Otherwise that's just malicious teasing...

Number 5 needs more input.
Sorry, i can't divulge any of that. But being in the magazine business, and knowing a lot about print schedules and lead times myself, and also factoring in which magazines get test cars first, and which get them last, I can tell you that the August issues of the largest-circ, highest-profile auto mags will almost certainly include full testing data. Stragglers will hit in September. I think it's clear now that no mag was able to swing a July-issue "first test" exclusive, so we'll likely see a slew of numbers in August. It will be interesting to see the variances between magazines. I'm also looking forward to seeing some non-sports pack data.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Jon- thanks. Most of us are coming from sports cars or wouldn't be using the Elise as a daily driver, more so with LSS. My hats off to those that will.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
and any comments on the headlights since he was doing a night drive? i recall some comments on too-low intensity being a problem

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
JonM3Coupe said:

He had many other comments, all positive. All I can say is that his enthusiasm was infectious. In fact, he called me from the car after finishing some night driving--I think he was in one of the modes of, "God damn, this is unreal! And I can't keep it to myself!"

Attachments

·
Registered
970 Posts
LotusLust said:
and any comments on the headlights since he was doing a night drive? i recall some comments on too-low intensity being a problem

I for one will be definitely be doing an illegal HID retrofit with Philips 6000K ultinons with the D2S bulbs...should look and function well with the projector housings. Once you have xenons, no way you can go back to halogens.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
I also will be doing the Xenon upgrade. Where can I get them??
Laser Blue, LSS only(my oem radio, speakers, and a/c system is for sale as well)

·
Registered
970 Posts
I have done retrofit 2 times...i got 1 kit on ebay but most kits on ebay are crap...have to get either Philips or Hella ballasts but make sure the bulbs are Philips and not some Korean or US knockoffs...4300K will give you white/yellow look but have luminal output of 3200 lumens but I prefer 6000K Philips ultinons which have 2800 lumens but look white/blue...you cant really tell 2800 vs 3200 but either one is about 2-3X the brightness of regular halogens....also, they use up on 35 watts so they last 2000 hrs on average.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I too am curious about ride comfort between touring and sport pack. Any current owners have any info on this? I assume they offer both on the current Toyota plant model here and overseas.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Ride quality can be subjective. For a short wheelbase high performance sports car it's got a very good ride with the standard suspension. Overseas would have to go with a Exige to compare ride quality. It's going to be stiffer but it's more of a personal call.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
As mentioned before, touring models can still have the sport package. Also, the overseas Toyota models cannot be ordered with the sport package unless you buy an Exige, which has it as standard. Just FYI.

I suspect Lotus may be sending magazines sport package vehicles so the handling numbers are more impressive to the public, even though many are not interested in the sport package initially. I don't think ride quality should be the primary consideration when choosing the sport package, but that doesn't seem to be the case with a lot of buyers.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
mact3333 said:
I for one will be definitely be doing an illegal HID retrofit with Philips 6000K ultinons with the D2S bulbs...should look and function well with the projector housings. Once you have xenons, no way you can go back to halogens.
This is available as a dealer upgrade.

·
Registered
163 Posts
JonM3Coupe said:
He also told me the performance numbers they recorded. I can't report them here, but I can tell you that if you compare the numbers to any of the road tests data charts found in the major auto mags, the quarter-mile number will be impressive, while the skidpad G number will be the stuff of legends.
Can you comment on the numbers in relation to C/D data ([email protected], 1/[email protected] and 1.06g)? Maybe with just a smiley if numbers are better?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Vantage said:
As mentioned before, touring models can still have the sport package. Also, the overseas Toyota models cannot be ordered with the sport package unless you buy an Exige, which has it as standard. Just FYI.

I suspect Lotus may be sending magazines sport package vehicles so the handling numbers are more impressive to the public, even though many are not interested in the sport package initially. I don't think ride quality should be the primary consideration when choosing the sport package, but that doesn't seem to be the case with a lot of buyers.
No, I totally agree. Didn't know the Exige was basically the sport pack over there. Thanks for the info. Obviously the car is going to be a bit rough around the edges in driver comfort either way. I guess I was just more curious than anything. Debating on whether or not I should spend the extra $2500 bones or wait.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I read an interesting article recently about thieves targeting HIDs in New Jersey (in Toyotas, I believe). Tear apart the housings to get at the ballasts, which apparently can be sold for a grand or so. Easy money. Damage to the car runs a couple of thousand or more to repair, depending on what they tear out.

I hope they realize that these are not standard on the Elise, so they don't start banging up my car.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Re: Re: "HUGE feedback through the steering wheel"

420HP said:
Can you comment on the numbers in relation to C/D data ([email protected], 1/[email protected] and 1.06g)? Maybe with just a smiley if numbers are better?
C/D already has the numbers!!!??? Which issue? I always get C/D first every month (and I subscribe to about 10 different car mags). They must have beaten every one else to press. Not surprised. I believe the audits say they have the largest circ of the the big three auto mags, so it would make sense that Lotus would get the car in their hands first.

Sorry... I'm still going to keep mum on the numbers, but what C/D is reporting is astonishing for a $42,000 car, don't you think? What I really want to know is how the $40,000 non-sports pack car performs.

As for comfort and how it's defined by balls-out driving enthusiats, I can only reiterate how emphatic he was about the car's surprising comfort given its poise and grip. He wouldn't have made mention of it unless he found it surprising.

We did not discuss headlamp strength, though I'd like to know too. I should have asked.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Re: Re: Re: "HUGE feedback through the steering wheel"

JonM3Coupe said:
C/D already has the numbers!!!??? Which issue? I
Latest issue (July??). It's re-printed over in the Articles and Reviews forum and their is also a link to a scanned version I think. I got the mag about a week ago. Insider info says they thrashed the car to get those acceleration times which pretty much surprised most of us. Impressive numbers to say the least, especially since this car is not about numbers.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts