The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
He got off easy. His friend needs medical care for life and he goes for 8 months?
I don't agree. First off, the injuries to the passenger are irrelevant to his being sentenced for reckless driving while under the influence - and 8 months in jail, 5 years probation, and a suspended license for 3 years seems pretty strong punishment to me.

The injuries to his passenger will be applicable in a civil suit. This is where I feel that things will get way out of line. His friend was a 22 year old Marine. He was the consenting adult in this situation. He went out drinking with his underaged 17 year old friend, then got into his friend's race-prepped car which he had been out in driving recklessly numerous times before, and chose not to wear a seatbelt.

The friend's parents testifying that Nick's actions did to their son what Al Queda couldn't strikes me as quite incorrect. The guy who wore the seatbelt walked away. The consenting adult who chose to get into the car while it was being driven that way and chose not to wear a seatbelt is in critical condition. I don't feel that the minor in the situation has any more liability for the consenting adult's injuries than the basic liability for getting into the crash.

The whole thing is a shame, but I think that he's receiving appropriate punishment for the criminal offense and fear that he and his family will receive an extremely unfair punishment in the civil trial simply because they have more money and fame than the guy who did nothing to avoid his fate.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Well well well a star actually doing REAL jail time for a crime

Judge sends wrestler's son to jail for 8 months for crash - omg! news on Yahoo!
Not really, the Hulk is the star here, when I first saw the ticker-tape run across the bottom of the screen, I said who's that guy (not recognizing his name), and why do I care if he is going to jail... do the crime, do the time. I don't know what the maximum sentence could have been, but at least no "innocent" person was injured IE he didn't run head on into a family of five on their way home from baskin robins...

·
Registered
617 Posts
I don't agree. First off, the injuries to the passenger are irrelevant to his being sentenced for reckless driving while under the influence - and 8 months in jail, 5 years probation, and a suspended license for 3 years seems pretty strong punishment to me.

The injuries to his passenger will be applicable in a civil suit. This is where I feel that things will get way out of line. His friend was a 22 year old Marine. He was the consenting adult in this situation. He went out drinking with his underaged 17 year old friend, then got into his friend's race-prepped car which he had been out in driving recklessly numerous times before, and chose not to wear a seatbelt.

The friend's parents testifying that Nick's actions did to their son what Al Queda couldn't strikes me as quite incorrect. The guy who wore the seatbelt walked away. The consenting adult who chose to get into the car while it was being driven that way and chose not to wear a seatbelt is in critical condition. I don't feel that the minor in the situation has any more liability for the consenting adult's injuries than the basic liability for getting into the crash.

The whole thing is a shame, but I think that he's receiving appropriate punishment for the criminal offense and fear that he and his family will receive an extremely unfair punishment in the civil trial simply because they have more money and fame than the guy who did nothing to avoid his fate.
I have to agree.

·
Registered
459 Posts

Agreed 100%. :up:

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
INTENT is the thing here when thinking about the Criminal case.

While he intended to act like a moron, he never intended to hurt anyone which makes it hard for me to say "this guy deserves a lot of jail time." He was a professional racer (I think) who simply acted like teens do, thinking "I'm invincible."

If this guy deserves jail time, then you deserve jail time if you hit someone going 20 or more over the speed limit. Sure you didn't intend to hurt anyone, but you subjected them to the risk.

I do however think he needs to properly compensate the victim via a civil suit.

·
Registered
91 Posts
The article didn't mention anything about him driving under the influence. Is it common knowledge that he was or did you assume that? Sorry I haven't really followed this at all.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
INTENT is the thing here when thinking about the Criminal case.

While he intended to act like a moron, he never intended to hurt anyone which makes it hard for me to say "this guy deserves a lot of jail time." He was a professional racer (I think) who simply acted like teens do, thinking "I'm invincible."

He was racing, it's illegal. His INTENT was to commit a crime, it may even be a felony in that state. If you killed someone while driving illegally it's manslaughter. When someone robs a store, their intent isn't to hurt someone, but if they do more charges are added in.

·
Banned
1,012 Posts
I think waaay too much emphasis is placed on street racing. I mean, more people are killed by f-ing peanut allergies.

The inevitable happens.

Sad that his friend is in a vegetative state, no sentence can amount to the guilt placed upon him from that.

I don't think thats a harsh ruling at all. I am surprised they didn't throw the book at him. That kids life is destroyed.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Deep thoughts...

Any one of us could end up in this situation. Nick was having fun in his car, something that we do everyday.
Sometimes you roll 7's... Sometimes you roll your car.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
^^ wow, i met my twin.

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
The article didn't mention anything about him driving under the influence. Is it common knowledge that he was or did you assume that? Sorry I haven't really followed this at all.
I didn't assume it, it was alleged when the crash first happened and later confirmed by numerous articles and the final charges. Apparently Hulk and his wife knew that they were drinking at lunch that day, but I haven't seen confirmation whether the friend, Hulk, or someone else bought it.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts

Honestly, I have to agree. And, while I may sound callous, the fact that the 'victim' was the one not wearing a seatbelt is not a coincidence. BTW, having to wear a seatbelt in FL is not an optional program - it's the law. Regardless of the actions of the driver, had he been wearing his seatbelt, it is entirely possible he may have come away with minor injuries. The driver walked away, despite the fact that the tree that was struck was on the driver's side of the vehicle. Again, coincidence?

Like others have said: it's a question of intent. The problem is that people tend to be punished as a result of what happened, not for the actions that led up to the event. He never intended for his friend to be seriously injured, but it happened. And I'm sure that he would have done everything in his power to ensure that his friend would never get hurt - I don't know too many (any?) people who wish harm upon their friends. Bad things happen to good people every day, regardless of the motive or circumstances.

For the record: I'm not a Hulkamaniac in the least. I do live in the area and I've probably seen more news coverage than most.

·
shay2nak
24,976 Posts
3 years suspended license! :eek:

i think he's getting his ass sued by the parents of his friend.

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
One question that has not been raised is how much liability does the driver hold for not ensuring his friend wore a seat belt?

As the driver, it's your responsibility to secure the safety of the passengers. Would the fact that the passenger was an adult and the driver was a minor make a difference?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts