The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have another nest in our yard. We have had about 8 or so in the last few years. The last one was a few months ago, but something destroyed the eggs. I hope this one has no problems. I am going to try and document this one with photos and video.

The Blog that I did for some of the other nests.

Hummingbird Nest

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
Yeah, they are!

Light and fast.

They drink ALOT of the red liquid I put out for them.

I once had 17 at once at the feeder.

Cool...

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
That's a cool picture. I can't believe you could get a shot of one still. I heard that is pretty difficult to do. I hope the eggs hatch. That would be pretty cool - some tiny birds for sure. Now we have an owl baby LT thread and a hummingbird one - the largest and the smallest birds. :up: What sort of red tree is that and about how many inches wide is the nest? I'm just curious and couldn't tell from the photos. We have zero wildlife in our yard so it's pretty boring.

·
Registered
492 Posts
That's fantastic. We have Hummingbirds here, I feed them and try to see where they go but they fly so fast it is impossible to follow them. I know they are nesting nearby but I can't find where.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Video from her building up the nest.
Hummingbird Nest 5/19/08 on Vimeo

ZTEC, that is a great analogy about them, yes they are the Lotus of the bird world. Larry, at one time I counted about that many in our yard feeding at once, now it is only a few as one or two birds take control of the feeders and chases off other birds. esoteric, it is in a plum tree. Here are two pictures from a nest from a few years ago showing the size.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
I see hummingbirds every day in my back yard. I have a couple of weeping bottle brush trees that they're very fond of. I've found nests before in my orange trees.

I also see a lot of quail in my yard. This time of year, or last month, I had a family with at least 13 little ones running around the yard. They can be fun (funny) to watch (to chase).

·
Registered
582 Posts
dont kill them please. dont touch the eggs.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
dont kill them please. dont touch the eggs.
I won't, have had many nests in the yard and know what to do. A few weeks ago there was a hummingbird that I found on the grass near the feeder. I tried to feed him with an eyedropper and then ended up taking him to a lady who rescues birds. Unfortunately she said he did not make it :(

·
Registered
582 Posts
My brother had atleast 300 pet birds back home and caring for birds is very hard and needs a very big amount of trust.

I won't, have had many nests in the yard and know what to do. A few weeks ago there was a hummingbird that I found on the grass near the feeder. I tried to feed him with an eyedropper and then ended up taking him to a lady who rescues birds. Unfortunately she said he did not make it :(

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
very cool! They're just now getting back to Iowa. Hopefully both eggs will hatch successfully.

·
Premium Member
11,901 Posts
Socal -

Great stuff. You are doing/have done a good thing. You, Larry and others have convinced me the H-bird feeder will be worth the effort (if I can position it where i can service it and bear can't reach it).

Thanks.

My neighbor got me intested in birds in the 1980s. A pleasant, interesting hobby.

Now to look for the owl thread...

(For more on bear: "The bear and I")

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Wow - I can't believe that nest is just over 1 inch. That's incredible it holds 2 eggs! Sorry to hear that one of the birds passed away.
An outdoor neighborhood cat killed a turtle dove in our backyard and no birds have ever returned since. Some of you seem to know about birds. Is our yard a no fly zone forever now? It was weird how they all vanished after their comrade's death...

·
Registered
417 Posts
I heard those eggs are tasty. And so are the birds.
I have them at my house too, they are every where. What I didn't know was that you could eat them, Just how would someone trap them for eating later? You know with the cost of food now-a-days it alway great to find a food that will come to you.

·
Registered
107 Posts
We had a hummingbird's nest last year, my kids really enjoyed watching the babys grow. My youngest did some research online and was shocked to learn at some point the larger of the two chicks will push the smaller out of the nest in order to get all of the food.

Sure enough the day came when there was only one bird in the nest. We looked for the missing one but found nothing.

·
Premium Member
11,901 Posts
An outdoor neighborhood cat killed a turtle dove in our backyard and no birds have ever returned since. Some of you seem to know about birds. Is our yard a no fly zone forever now? It was weird how they all vanished after their comrade's death...

This why there have been heated discussions on other threads about why cats shouldn't be allowed to roam outdoors.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
We have zero wildlife in our yard so it's pretty boring.
Our house here in Virginia backs some woods, so we get plenty of wildlife. I've only seen humming birds once or twice in the yard, but plenty of other birds.

We have at least 10 pairs of bright yellow finches that visit our bird feeder.
Three different kinds of wood peckers (one will sit on the feeder and stare in the window when it's out of food.
A couple of Bluebird pairs, blue-jays, several cardinals, and lots of "regular finches". Sometimes there will be 10-15 birds "lined up" to get on the feeder.

We had a huge pine tree in the back yard that we referred to as the "apartments". There must have been at least 10 different nests in that tree. Unfortunately it had to be removed. The rest of the birds all have nests in the nearby woods - but our bird feeder seems to be the local hangout.

Oh yea, we also have several very smart squirrels that defeat the squirrel proof bird feeder. :D

·
Registered
87 Posts
thats sweet!!!
I've had hummingbirds nest in my back patio for the past 5 years. This year had 2 eggs, 2 babies left the nest last Thursday... wow they grow fast. None of them EVER touch the hummingbird feeder, they just like the neighborhood.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts