The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the new world involves gloves, cleaner, paper towels and whole new sequences of operations

The old way to get gas was open the lid, remove the cap, place it carefully on the grill area of the hatch and then deal with the fuel pump, credit card grade pump etc, then put the cap on and shut the lid

But now, oh, my, all the extra steps.
Remember even with gloves on you cannot go touching all this stuff then get in the car
The best analogy is dipping your hands in paint. Try doing that and getting in the car.

So, gloves, antiseptic towel, this that, pump the gas, ok I can now lose the gloves, might as well drop them in the trash at the gas station

Oops, out of sequence.

Blew the procedure

Get home, walk around the car, there is the fuel hatch, wide open.

Drive back to the gas station, there is my poor little fuel cap, smashed to bits on the pavement

Luckily local store had the correct Stant number which seems to work fine, after managing the purchase from 6 feet away

Hope you enjoyed my pandemic fueled stupidity

·
Premium Member
6,784 Posts
Just pump gas as you always did. Have mask around neck in case SD is compromised. Get back in car and drive home...take Clorx/Lysol wipe to steering wheel and anyhting else you HAD to touch. Wash hands..life goes on.

Reactions: FloppyKnockers

·
He's on fire!
3,261 Posts
Not sure I'd make a regular habit of putting Clorox wipes to the steering wheel , isn't it an alcohol based cleaner?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any of yo can pump gas however you please. I will follow recommendations. Honestly , self serve gas pumps have always given me a bit of the heebee geebees, kinda figure they get cleaned every other time they clean the bathroom

·
Registered
467 Posts
Its amazing watching people with gloves and home made masks on. They think it makes them immune. Touching their face all the time because theyre not use to the mask! Touching keys wallet, phone and jumping in the car with gloves on. Whats the point!

The paint analogy is good. I use the dog sh#t one. If your hands were covered in sh#t youd be a lot more careful about what you touched!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I agree with not-a-number, you shouldnt really wear a mask, specially the one with filters which medical staff use. But i personally believe if u have a mask, a home-made one, or just a scarf works well, it works by not touching your face as much. If you go in a store, gloves are kinda a must really, but should be one time use and discarded once left the store or where ever u been and wash,disinfect your hands.

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
Or, live in NJ. Pull up, lower window 2 inches, hand person $20. Touch nothing.

Now you can all tell me why pumping your own gas is so much better. ;)

Also, although NJ gas prices no longer among lowest in country (thanks to tax increases - remember, the price of oil is pretty much the same everywhere in the world when it comes out of the ground, and yes, that's a broad generalization, but you get the point), it's still not worse than middle of the pack, and the extra $.02 we'd save - for the first three weeks - doesn't seem worth it.

As of now, the retailers association is pushing very hard to eliminate full-serve - understandably, given risk to attendants - but that really only shifts the risk, I guess. No easy answer.

·
He's on fire!
3,261 Posts
I agree with not-a-number, you shouldnt really wear a mask, specially the one with filters which medical staff use. But i personally believe if u have a mask, a home-made one, or just a scarf works well, it works by not touching your face as much. If you go in a store, gloves are kinda a must really, but should be one time use and discarded once left the store or where ever u been and wash,disinfect your hands.
Lets be real, N95 masks are what you want to wear because they work, thats why medical staff use them. However, its not in the community interest to take away those masks from a nurse so that people can wear them once to walmart. If the supply was not constrained I think you'd see a lot more recommendations to wear N95. Never thought about the homemade masks keeping people from actually touching their faces though, thats a good point!

·
Premium Member
2005 Elise LSS Saffron Yellow
761 Posts
Something tells me that no medical staff want to use my grass-pollen and paint dust-infused N95 masks that I'm wearing to the grocery store. A quick spritz of rubbing alcohol on the outside followed by sitting in full sun for a few days renders them COVID-ready for next week's shopping trip.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
One glove to touch pump with, touch credit card and car with other (ungloved) hand. This saves a glove. Discard the glove after done touching pump. And that’s it.

I’m good to take a chance on bottom of shoes.

Honesty, you can never clean anything 100%. No touch and problem solved. Like inside your car, just never get it dirty.

·
Premium Member
2,171 Posts
Don't use Clorox (which is chlorine bleach not alcohol), alcohol, or Lysol on leather. A few times probably won't matter, but repeated use can remove any urethane coating and/or discolor the leather. Use leather cleaner or a mild soap and water.

I recently bought a new Grand Cherokee, which is my first vehicle without an actual gas cap, tethered or not. I have to say it's very convenient in the current situation because all I have to do after filling up is nudge the door closed with my elbow.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Don't use Clorox (which is chlorine bleach not alcohol), alcohol, or Lysol on leather. A few times probably won't matter, but repeated use can remove any urethane coating and/or discolor the leather. Use leather cleaner or a mild soap and water.

I recently bought a new Grand Cherokee, which is my first vehicle without an actual gas cap, tethered or not. I have to say it's very convenient in the current situation because all I have to do after filling up is nudge the door closed with my elbow.
Clorox wipes don’t contain chlorine aka bleach. Just FYI. They actually contain something other than alcohol. I’m too lazy to look it up. But it’s not bleach or alcohol.

I personally would use a proper interior cleaner

This whole gas station thing does make me chuckle (my other car is a Tesla).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,171 Posts
Clorox wipes don’t contain chlorine aka bleach. Just FYI. They actually contain something other than alcohol. I’m too lazy to look it up. But it’s not bleach or alcohol.

I personally would use a proper interior cleaner

This whole gas station thing does make me chuckle (my other car is a Tesla).

Maybe Clorox makes/made different kinds of wipes, because the ones that I've used definitely contained chlorine bleach.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Maybe Clorox makes/made different kinds of wipes, because the ones that I've used definitely contained chlorine bleach.
Maybe so

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
No need to disinfect the car if you don’t contaminate it. Much easier.

But if there is no way to avoid it, just have to accept that it’s likely to damage the car. And you are not disinfecting 100% with a quick wipe. That’s more superstition than remedy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The virus doesn't enter your skin! Get out of car, open fuel filler and fill. When your finished clean hands with sanitizer then get back in car.
Just don't pick your nose, teeth or eyes between closing gas cap and getting into car.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Today - opened both side's gas cover - got out of Esprit V8 - left double layer Nomex gloves on dash - cracked gas cap open on side not filling - removed cap on fill side - with bare hand pushed buttons on pad - did it to get premium for nickle less than posted price - slid card in & out of slot - picked up handle / inserted into car - talked to guy taking picture of Esprit who also did not have mask on - replaced handle into pump - moment later fired up car and hit 4,000+ rpm in third on freeway so as to exercise turbos

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Your contribution to herd immunity.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts