The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this interesting headline on the hunting website!

I'm NOT trying to be pro or con global warming.

Anglers, hunters take aim at global warming - 9 major groups meeting with key House lawmaker to express concerns. Rep. John Dingell, an avid hunter and angler, hopes to write legislation to curtail greenhouse gases linked to global warming.

WASHINGTON - Global warming could force elk and mule deer from much of the American West. Wild trout could disappear in lower Appalachian streams. Two-thirds of the country's ducks may disappear.

A new assessment of the threat to fish and wildlife habitat has hunters and anglers calling for action.

Groups representing nine major hunting and fishing organizations planned to meet Thursday with the House committee chairman who hopes to write legislation to curtail greenhouse gases linked to global warming.

"These are the branches of the conservation movement from which I come," said Rep. John Dingell said in an interview with The Associated Press. Dingell, D-Mich., said the groups' concerns are very important in helping with a measure to address the problem.

Dingell is an avid sportsman whose office is adorned with hunting and fishing trophies. As the leader of the House Energy and Commerce Committee, he has promised action on climate change. He also has issued a series of reports examining legislation that would cap carbon dioxide — a product of burning fossil fuels — and other greenhouse gases. The Senate is considering similar legislation.

The alarm sounded by hunting and fishing organizations is significant.

They "are a critical swing constituency in so many states," said Paul Bledsoe, a spokesman for the National Commission on Energy Policy. The bipartisan group argues for mandatory steps to reduce climate change pollution.

Alan Wentz, of Ducks Unlimited Inc., one of the groups meeting with Dingell, noted that scientists are predicting that climate change "will significantly affect almost every aspect of our environment, including North America's wetlands and waterfowl."

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
It's not because the hunters and fishermen are killing the animals, they're demise is due to global warming! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
It's not because the hunters and fishermen are killing the animals, they're demise is due to global warming! :rolleyes:
I am neither a hunter or a fisherman (never hunted, only fished on occasion and not for quite some time), but most thoughtful hunters and anglers consider themselves stewards of the environment (in a way like traditional farmers). Yes, they're killing animals, but anyone living off the bounty of the earth (which is, ultimately, everyone) should respect the earth and know what is sustainable and what is not.

·
Registered
146 Posts
...thoughtful hunters and anglers consider themselves stewards of the environment (in a way like traditional farmers). Yes, they're killing animals, but anyone living off the bounty of the earth (which is, ultimately, everyone) should respect the earth and know what is sustainable and what is not.
My bow-hunter cousin surprised me with a rather detailed model understanding of predator/prey dynamics. Incidentally, this kind of spatial temporal reasoning and cognition is a key component of discussing climate change--and business inventory production demand curve market models, for that matter. Ecology is actually a superset of economics...

Calculus is often so poorly taught in schools--it should be taught by non-math types who can explain it to the other non-math types......

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
I am neither a hunter or a fisherman (never hunted, only fished on occasion and not for quite some time), but most thoughtful hunters and anglers consider themselves stewards of the environment (in a way like traditional farmers). Yes, they're killing animals, but anyone living off the bounty of the earth (which is, ultimately, everyone) should respect the earth and know what is sustainable and what is not.
Yes, but asking the government to step in and wave a magic wand to save their game poaching is moronic and a political agenda.

Correct that we should respect the earth for the earth's sake but to say that elk will disappear because the temperature is rising is an illogical and disingenuous assumption.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Note that new political group..."Ducks Unlimited." :D
I've purchased from Ducks Unlimited. Duck scent, and a cloth dummy duck that my now passed Golden Retriever used to love to play fetch with...

Still, no problems with me, but I think you are taking a nip from the political jug here...

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
...as they drive around in their huge SUVs and pickups. (I suppose it is difficult to strap an elk carcass on a Yaris, though. :rolleyes:)

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
...as they drive around in their huge SUVs and pickups. (I suppose it is difficult to strap an elk carcass on a Yaris, though. :rolleyes:)

well there's that....:D

Actually in "the heartland" (like say upstate Michigan) I've seen the deer tied onto beat-up old pickups. The huge SUV's and newer pickups are for the yuppies :rolleyes:.

·
Registered
270 Posts
well there's that....:D

Actually in "the heartland" (like say upstate Michigan) I've seen the deer tied onto beat-up old pickups. The huge SUV's and newer pickups are for the yuppies :rolleyes:.

now im going to have to dig thru a room full of photo albums next time im at my parents house and find the picture of me and my friend tiny (who by the way was anything but...) in my 68 vw baja beetle with an 8 point buck strapped across the roof rack (and blocking most of the view out of the front and rear windows too)... i could barely shift the thing because the only place our rifles fit was along side the shift tube tunnel and in the front floorboard pointing out the back. It was hell to get the ice chest in the back seat open for another beer on the way home, but we did it!

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
I think you are taking a nip from the political jug here...
Jim,
No doubt about it.

larry,
you said no more political posts and threads for you.

YOU HAVE ZERO CREDIBILTY AND YOUR WORDS NOW MEAN NOTHING MORE THAN WHAT THEY ARE.........(POLITICAL)TROLLING.

I found this interesting headline on the hunting website!

I'm NOT trying to be pro or con global warming.
OK Larry, you might have a leg to stand on, and an ounce of honesty IF you were also posting things on the other side of the fence here.

I call total BS, and rotfl at your lack of self control when you were the one who started a thread just last week saying you were going to cool it with your propaganda.

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54619

just amazing.....................

as far as hunters being stewards of the enviornment...........
I had a client who was a big game hunter.
he had lots of taxidermed animals all over the house.
he had just gotten a large cat on a hunt in canada.
he described how they had about 25 dogs with them, found and treed this cat(mountain lion), and then blasted its helpless arse out of the tree.
wow, thats really quite a challange, and certainly a story thats worth telling to your grandkids.:rolleyes:
they did eat the meat however.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Jim,
as far as hunters being stewards of the enviornment...........
I had a client who was a big game hunter.
he had lots of taxidermed animals all over the house.
he had just gotten a large cat on a hunt in canada.
he described how they had about 25 dogs with them, found and treed this cat(mountain lion), and then blasted its helpless arse out of the tree.
wow, thats really quite a challange, and certainly a story thats worth telling to your grandkids.:rolleyes:
they did eat the meat however.
I did not say "all" hunters, did I ? -poke-

1 - 15 of 15 Posts