The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Amusing how self-centered people get in times of emergency. It's so inefficient - not to mention pathetic. People fighting over water, gasoline, plywood. LOL!!! I was watching the news the other night, and they were interviewing a woman at Home Depot on what she had learned from Hurricane Andrew. She said "I learned to prepare ahead of time, and not wait until the last minute." Then they panned over to her basket of plywood she was buying. LOL! I guess she meant LITERALLY the "last minute".

Anyhow.... apparently South Florida is in a state of emergency (uh oh) because of Hurricane Francis. Since I don't have a computer at home, and my office building is turning the power off until Tuesday (even though it's hurricane proof lol) I'll be without Internet for the next 4 days. Withdrawal time! I'll miss you guys. See you next week! So long. :)

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Gives new meaning to the word gas wars, when two 60 year old women get in a fight at the Mobil station about who is next in line, blocking up all the traffic, and I am in front of them laughing my ass off watching as is everyone else at the station.

I have to work until 9 tonight and then amgoing grocery shopping. It will be fun watching the morons scramble for the last container of milk and loaf of bread......Same think used to happen up north everytime it snowed.

I dont have hurricane shuitters so I might be screwed, since my house was built a year before they became mandatory, but I guess thats why I'm paying about $2000 a year for homowners insurance that used to cost me $500 when I lived in NJ. I dont care, just let them build me a new house. I can live in a tent and eat spagetti-os and drink canal water for a few months, it's not the end of the world, as long as a palm tree going 150 miles an hour doesnt hit me.

Steve,
Think we can call Charlie Christ and claim that the Lotus price increase is due to gouging because of the hurricane?

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I have two close friends who just retired early and moved to Turks & Caicos to build on beachfront. Their temp. house rental is 5 feet above sea level.

Frances just roared over their island. Fortunately they're ok. Can't sing the praises of poured concrete walls enough, said they didn't even vibrate. Here's a quote:

"Frances did not kick in here until around 10:30 p.m. and finally let up this morning around 11:30 a.m. We were fortunate to be on the south side of the island which was better than being on the north. Winds here were well over 100 mph. It sounded like a loud freight train. I thought the sound would be constant. On the contrary. Just when it sounded like a train was leaving the station, another one would be right behind it.

After the winds stopped, we watched for the surge but it was only about 3-4 feet high and we are 5 feet above sea level. If the water level had risen to 5 feet we would have just driven the cars down the road and up the hill.

The experience was a little scary but also amazingly beautiful to watch (through the crack of a hurricane shutter). We are now very confident you can build houses down here that will withstand even a Cat 5 hurricane."

I once lived through a Typhoon on the Western Pacific that caused the 564 ft. ship I was in to list within one degree of danger of sinking. Gives you a newfound respect for the power of Mother Nature...

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
ATTN FL RESIDENTS:

TURNPIKE IS BUMPER TO BUMPER GOING NORTH FROM ORLANDO ON, TRAFFIC IS BUILDING UP STARTING AT FT PIERCE.

IT IS TAKING 8 HRS TO GO FROM WEST PALM TO ORLANDO ACCORDING TO EMAILS FROM MY COWORKERS WHO ARE GOING TO OUR BACKUP LOCATION IN ATLANTA. THANK GOD FOR BLACKBERRIES

IT IS TAKING TWO HOURS TO GO THROUGH ORLANDO AT THE CURRENT TIME.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Hello fellow Floridians!

I'm just back from getting all our stuff in order to get through Hurricane Frances. My wife, daughter, dog and I were going to go to Ocala to take our horse to her parents farm but because of all the traffic reports we changed our minds left the horse in his regular home in Boynton Beach ( near Wellington) and came back home to spend the night, tomorrow we're moving inland in the morning to sit out the Hurricane. We are on the water in Fort Lauderdale, 6ft above MSL so I sure am hopping that this thing makes landfall waaaaayyyy north of us as they are predicting or else we're toast as the storm surge is likely to destroy most of our home's contents. At the same time I hope the barn which is north of us gets spared since it is an older building and the horses are simply irreplaceable and of course my Liz which is finally out of cosmetic surgery and is waiting for me at Palm Beach Motor cars. So here go my best wishes to everyone in Florida and especially other EliseTalk members such as transio, xxxotic , etc ( sorry is getting late and I can't remember anymore FL listers) that we fare as well as possible through this ordeal and hoping no Elises get totaled by the storm ( they are also simply irreplaceable at this time!).

Good luck everyone!

·
Registered
687 Posts
I don't how you Florida guys do it. I hope everyone makes it through safely and no major damage occurs.

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, so I lied about the 4 days part :p

A power line got downed in front of my place, taking out my power for who knows how long, so I'm over at my brother's place for a couple hours, and I decided to get on and check you guys out.

While I'm here, I figured I'd take the time to register another complaint. Cops are total assholes. I know they're taught to be that way, but it really pisses me off. They actually set a cop car on either side of my street blockading it so that people couldn't get in to "the danger zone". At the same time, though, I couldn't get out! God forbid if anyone walked into the street, they'd get on their megaphones and yell at them like idiots. Meanwhile, the downed powerline wasn't even hot! All this BS for a line w/ no current going through it. I honestly believe that government authorities do whatever they can to reinforce a sense of fear and obedience in the masses so that they can use their power to control us. It's frustrating as hell.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Most of the towns around me have a curfew now that is running from 8 PM until dawn. The cops can arrest you unless you can prove that you live in the area and are going to pick up something and leave right away.

People have plywood, but most dont have enough tapcons? (the blue screws that go into concrete) to install tehm, and Home Depot and Lowes are all out of them. Had 2 people come up to me and my neighbor who had his contractor truck on the street while we were getting out plywood asking if I we could sell some to them, but all we had left are the huge ones that wont work.

My neightbor even took his "little friend" with him to Home Depot, because people were stealing stuff from contractors stuff during a previous hurricane. One neighbor said that a few years ago, a company in West Palm boarded up their windows, and then peopel driving around realized that no one would be there, so they took off the plywood to use for their houses since the stores were all out.

Right after Charlie happened a few weeks ago, people on barrier islands found that thieves had came in by boat and looted their houses, so I guess its good that the cops are acting all militant with people wandering around.

The liquor stores closed early in Martin County, and on the news they had some idiots in Boca swimming in the ocean, the newcasters implied that the swimmers may have been drunk and will have no recollection of the hurricane.

A feeder band went thru a few hours ago and it poured like hell for about 15 minutes and their was thunder and lightning with it. Looks like it is going to make landfall around Ft Pierce/Melbourne

Speedracergirl8 did they tell you to evacuate?

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Geeze, that's terrible, and these small island nations don't have the kind of resources to "bonce back" from these things, either.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Anyone know if the ship that was suppossed to dock Sunday in South Carolina made it, or if stayed out at sea?

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I still don't have power at home from Frances. I think FPL is holding off on fixing it because of Ivan. Why do double the work just so I can have air conditioning for a week? :)

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
I thought FPL was starting in Miami and going north.

I guess it will be another two weeks before I get power at home.

Its sooo much fun sleeping in 90 degree weather, waking up every 3 hours in in pool of sweat, moving to other side of the bed, and repeating every three hours.

At least I got some free ice today from the National Guard

I saw a yellow sailboat washed up along the shore around Peanut Island with a bunch of other ones, hope it wasnt speedracergirl8's:(

A 40 story condo building on the beach is totally trashed, the metal rebar is showing, looks like the Oklahoma City building. It had a glass front that went all the way up in front, and now it is all gone, and you can see right through where teh lobby used to be. Akll of the windows are out, and some of the ablconies are missing. I hope no one was in there, there would be no way they could have survived

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
xxxotic said:
Anyone know if the ship that was suppossed to dock Sunday in South Carolina made it, or if stayed out at sea?
I heard the hurricane delayed ships.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Some hurricane tips I just received:

You all should be aware of hurricane preparations, but in case you
>need a refresher course:
>
>We have entered the peak of the hurricane season. Right now, you
>can to turn on the TV and see a weather person pointing to some radar blob
>down in the Caribbean and making two basic meteorological points.
>
>(1) There is no need to panic.
>(2) We could all be killed.
>
>Yes, hurricane season is an exciting time to be in Florida. If
>you're new to the area, you're probably wondering what you need to do to
>prepare for the possibility that we'll get hit by "the big one."
>
>Based on our insurance industry experiences, we recommend that you
>follow this simple three-step hurricane preparedness plan:
>
>STEP 1:
>Buy enough food and bottled water to last your family for at least
>three days.
>
>STEP 2:
>Put these supplies into your car.
>
>STEP 3:
>Drive to Nebraska and remain there until Halloween. Unfortunately,
>statistics show that most people will not follow this sensible plan.
>Most people will foolishly stay here in Florida.
>
>We'll start with one of the most important hurricane preparedness
>items:
>
>HOMEOWNERS' INSURANCE:
>
>If you own a home, you must have hurricane insurance. Fortunately,
>this insurance is cheap and easy to get, as long as your home meets two
>basic requirements:
>
>(1) It is reasonably well-built, and
>(2) It is located in Wisconsin
>
>Unfortunately, if your home is located in Florida, or any other
>area that might actually be hit by a hurricane, most insurance companies
>would prefer not to sell you hurricane insurance, because then they might
>be required to pay YOU money, and that is certainly not why
>they got into the insurance business in the first place. So you'll have
>to scrounge around for an insurance company, which will charge you an
>annual premium roughly equal to the replacement value of your house.
>At any moment, this company can drop you like used dental floss.
>
>SHUTTERS:
>
>Your house should have hurricane shutters on all the windows, all
>the doors. There are several types of shutters, with advantages and
>disadvantages:
>Plywood shutters: The advantage is that, because you make them
>yourself, they're cheap.
>
>Sheet-metal shutters: The advantage is that these work well, once
>you get them all up. The disadvantage is that once you get them all up,
>your hands will be useless bleeding stumps, and it will be December.
>
>Roll-down shutters: The advantages are that they're very easy to
>use, and will definitely protect your house. The disadvantage is that
>you will have to sell your house to pay for them.
>
>Hurricane-proof windows: These are the newest wrinkle in hurricane
>protection: They look like ordinary windows, but they can withstand
>hurricane winds! You can be sure of this, because the salesman says
>so. He lives in Nebraska.
>
>Hurricane Proofing your property: As the hurricane approaches,
>check your yard for movable objects like barbecue grills, planters, patio
>furniture, visiting relatives, etc...
>
>You should, as a precaution, throw these items into your swimming
>pool (if you don't have a swimming pool, you should have one built
>immediately). Otherwise, the hurricane winds will turn these
>objects into deadly missiles.
>
>EVACUATION ROUTE:
>
>If you live in a low-lying area, you should have an evacuation
>route planned out. (To determine whether you live in a low-lying area,
>look at your driver's license; if it says "Florida," you live in a
>low-lying area). The purpose of having an evacuation route is to avoid
>being trapped in your home when a major storm hits. Instead, you will be
>trapped in a gigantic traffic jam several miles from your home, along
>with two hundred thousand other evacuees. So, as a bonus, you will
>not be lonely.
>
>HURRICANE SUPPLIES:
>
>If you don't evacuate, you will need a mess of supplies. Do not buy
>them now! Florida tradition requires that you wait until the last
>possible minute, then go to the supermarket and get into vicious fights
>with strangers over who gets the last can of cat food. In addition to
>food and water, you will need the following supplies:
>
>23 flashlights. At least $167 worth of batteries that turn out,
>when the power goes off, to be the wrong size for the flashlights.
>
>Bleach. (No, I don't know what the bleach is for. NOBODY knows what
>the bleach is for, but it's traditional, so GET some!)
>
>A big knife that you can strap to your leg. (This will be useless
>in a hurricane, but it looks cool.)
>
>A large quantity of raw chicken, to placate the alligators. (Ask
>anybody who went through Andrew; after the hurricane, there
>WILL be irate alligators.)
>
>$35,000 in cash or diamonds so that, after the hurricane passes,
>you can buy a generator from a man with no discernible teeth.
>
>Of course these are just basic precautions. As the hurricane draws
>near, it is vitally important that you keep abreast of the situation by
>turning
>on your television and watching TV reporters in rain slickers
>stand right next to the ocean and tell you over and over how
>vitally important it is for everybody to stay away from the ocean.
>
>Good luck, and remember: Its great living in Paradise.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
A person on my street was wrapping plastic crime scene type tape around his trees thinking that would stop them from falling down. Maybe he thought that like duct tape, it is the miracle item that we all need in order to survive.

No traffic signals means that you now can run them anyway and just have a 50/50 chance that you will get hit by someone running one going the other way.

Time to go home now. Maybe there is some ice left! Good thing I dont have my Elise yet, they would know that I was already there at lunchtime, but then I could claim that all of the ice would have melted since the engine is so close to the trunk!

People were mentioning that you get arrested it you are out past curfew time. I feel like getting arrested, just so I can stay in a nice air-conditioned cell.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hurricane Ivan...

Here we go again...

In lieu of Hurricane Frances, we moved our 400+ unit inventory into the sheltered/covered garage about a mile away. Those cars were returned to our headquarter building yesterday - and don't worry - the Elise and our remaining Esprits were just fine.

Now that Ivan is looming about, we may have to do this all over again. I'll keep you all posted.

Be Safe,

Ryan

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
I just called my insurance company to give them the VIN number.

This way all I have to do is call them and tell them the date to change everything once the car comes in.

They stated that they are not going to do any additions or write new policies because of the threat of the pending hurricane.
Once the hurricane passes, they will start doing them again.

I knew that insurance companies do this on new homeowner’s insurance policies, but never knew they did this on car insurance policies too.

Guess anybody that is having a car delivered this week will be stuck since they won’t be able to get insurance either if they live in FL, Alabama , Mississpipi, Georgia or any other area that Ivan is suppossed to go thru.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
xxxotic said:

Guess anybody that is having a car delivered this week will be stuck since they won’t be able to get insurance either if they live in FL, Alabama , Mississpipi, Georgia or any other area that Ivan is suppossed to go thru.
My existing policy allows me a 30 day window of insurance on any car I buy. In other words, it's covered even if they have not written the policy.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts