The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there had been some discussions on this topic before but what is the conclusion regarding this?

My car is 08MY but the control panel is not backlit. Is there anyway i can ascertain if my HVAC unit is defective (which is still under factory warranty).

The panel face is silver in colour and does not seem to be transluscent. Is backlit panel only available for touring pack only?

tks

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
On my '05 the symbols/graphics surrounding the 3 rotary knobs and 2 pushbuttons are backlit. I don't believe the '08 should be any different, but I don't know.
Michael

·
Registered
853 Posts
Have you adjusted the dimmer switch on the steering cowl? The S2 UK is also back lit, so early 05 should be good for back lighting. It is connected to the dimmer on the clocks and if they are on a low setting then the HVAC is non existent. You might check it out.

mine is an early 05 and it is not backlit. At least as it sits now.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I have an early 2005 car and it was wired for the backlight but does not work.

Chris

·
Registered
853 Posts
Those sound like they are defective and should be replaced. Probably a little later for a warranty.

·
Inactive
831 Posts
The dash controls the HVAC panel illumination via wire #402. It is more likely that the dash dimmer output is broken rather than the HVAC panel.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i cant recall if my HVAC panel had ever backlit.

where can i check wire #402 and dimmer output? My dimmer button works intermittently and I have to press and hold onto it for sometime before it works. Once, the gauge panel suddenly got really bright for no unknown cause.

I had recently installed a new headunit and connected the illumination wire from the HU (for dimming purpose) to the unused orange wire from the HU harness. Do you think the HVAC backlit issue has anything to do with that connection? Better to make sure before I go back to the dealer

thks

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
If you connected into the "panel illumination / trip meter" switch , wire 105, maybe you should disconnect it and see what happens. It is probably set up to see a certain resistance value, any more and it does not function correctly. Circuit 402 from the instrument cluster to the HVAC console is the wire in the photo.
Michael

Attachments

·
Registered
980 Posts
If you connected into the "panel illumination / trip meter" switch , wire 105, maybe you should disconnect it and see what happens. It is probably set up to see a certain resistance value, any more and it does not function correctly. Circuit 402 from the instrument cluster to the HVAC console is the wire in the photo.
Michael

no picture for me? x

·
Registered
980 Posts
Sorry Chris, what additional photo do you need?
Michael
Circuit 402 from the instrument cluster to the HVAC console is the wire in the photo.

No pic is showing for me. I will check at home after work. No sweat.

Chris

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've had this happen to me intermittently over the course of 8 or 9 months and then it turned good for quite a while until I installed a DashDaq which is connected to the OBDII port. Not sure if this has anything to do with it but now the HVAC backlight doesn't come on at all, not even if I unplug the DashDaq. Haven't had a chance to look into this yet but I would be grateful for any tips or quick fixes here.

·
Registered
127 Posts
pullin up an old thread but im no electric guru, my gauges nor my hvac come on with my headlights. gauges and lcd work, but no lights. i dont know if my dimmer works, it resets my trip odometer though, please help

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
To check if it is working, just hold the button in and see if the backlights get brighter.
Michael
pullin up an old thread but im no electric guru, my gauges nor my hvac come on with my headlights. gauges and lcd work, but no lights. i dont know if my dimmer works, it resets my trip odometer though, please help

1 - 20 of 29 Posts